Favorite Houston Skyscraper

TxDave

This topic has likely been raised before, but Houston has such great architecture I think it is worthy of more discussion.

What is your favorite Houston skyscraper, and why?

For me it is a tough question to answer, but I have to settle on Pennzoil Place. Its significance in "breaking the box" is something we still see today. Its view is different from every angle, yet it is generally simple in its design.

I have a lot of runner-ups in mind: One Shell Plaza, Bank of America, Tenneco Building (or El Paso or whatever it is called today).

However my second choice is probably less architecturally significant, but one I still really enjoy: Williams Tower (still called that? I still know it as Transco). I love its simplistic, yet elegant retro (art deco?) design. There is really no reason for such a tower to be where it is, but that is part of the charm of Houston.

Please share your favorite skyscrapers!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two favorites are 1500 Louisiana (Enron II) Cesar Pelli & Associates

1500louisiana.jpg

and Bank of America (formerly Republic Bank-NCNB Center) Philip Johnson/John Burgee

bank-of-america-1a.jpg

Aside from being striking buildings in their own right, what especially impresses me is the way in which they relate to surrounding buildings. BOA is especially brilliant in its massing, as it permits views of Johnson/Burgee's earlier triumph (Pennzoil Place), while making the most of a difficult site (an exisiting building could not be demolished to build BOA, and is contained within it).

1500 Louisiana not only reflects (literally) the design of the rather banal original Enron building; it grants it some credibility. The sight lines from Louisiana and Smith Streets factor into the design - the 1963 Exxon Building harmonizes beautifully with its more modern neighbor. This is one of the few modern buildings in Houston which is enjoyable at street level as well as from a distance, in part due to the sweeping skywalk over Smith Street.

These buildings are to be admired not only for their intrinsic beauty, but also because the architects considered the context in which they're seen.

I agree about 1500 Louisiana (Enron 2). Pelli did a great job of relating it to the older Enron building without copying. One of the nicest touches is the way that the tower is aligned to the east-west street grid of the Fourth Ward, just like Enron 1, while the base aligns to the northwest-southwest downtown grid. This kind of detail adds to the visual interest of the complex.

I love BOA in that it has become a landmark for our skyline. My one small complaint about it is that the design is dated and it seems very much of the 1980s. To me, what makes Tenneco and Pennzoil classics is that even though they were built in the early 1960s and 1970s respectively, the designs are still fresh. Either one could be built today and still look new, which is quite an accomplishment. Tenneco especially amazes me with the articulation and quality of its facade design, although don't think the proportions of the building are great.

I find it a little interesting that no one has mentioned Chase Tower.

It has significance in being an IM Pei project and a pleasant simplicity.

Although aside from it height, I do find it mostly unremarkable.

Perhaps it just has too much competition nearby.

I find it a little interesting that no one has mentioned Chase Tower.

It has significance in being an IM Pei project and a pleasant simplicity.

Although aside from it height, I do find it mostly unremarkable.

Perhaps it just has too much competition nearby.

Why do you people punish me this way...all this talk about Skyscrappers...don't you realize that when you're only 3/32" tall, a blade of grass is a skyscrapper? I warn you...cease this attempt to humiliate me with such trivial trivialities or I shall unleash the full wrath of my EVIL GENIUS....but right now the Mrs. is making hologram pancakes....gotta go!

Why do you people punish me this way...all this talk about Skyscrappers...don't you realize that when you're only 3/32" tall, a blade of grass is a skyscrapper? I warn you...cease this attempt to humiliate me with such trivial trivialities or I shall unleash the full wrath of my EVIL GENIUS....but right now the Mrs. is making hologram pancakes....gotta go!

Not to be rude, or anything, but why did you respond to that? It wasn't directed at you, he was just making a generalization. And why do you consider yourself a cartoon character in every post?

TxDave:

I love to JPMCT. I just find some other towers appeal to me more, making it not my #1 favorite. I think its significant in the skyline, and while its not the belle of the ball, it looks good to me. Its hard to realize how tall it is, unless you can see it from the base to the roof. I love the cut in the southwest corner, it adds character. But many people are not fans of the 70s/80s box.

Rice Hotel, I like the traditional, yet still functional, porch/patio that provides one of the most vibrant public places downtown on any given night. It's an older bldg too so it's contrast with the modern skyscrapers gives it a charm onto itself. I see this building as the literal "heart" of downtown.

2nd would be the Reliant Bldg for merely ephemeral reasons :)

BoA bldg. Its the building that really defines the houston skyline. all the boxy or cylindrical towers behind are just filling, while the BoA building is what people see and think of the houston skyline as. Probably second would be the Pennzoil builing. its sort of the same way.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Heritage Plaza. Great mixture of modern skyscraper with primitive geometry. One of the few skyscrapers I've never seen cloned anywhere else.

I agree with so many on this list. Williams is so cool the way it towers over the galleria skyline. My downtown favorites are the BoA and Heritage Plaza.

If we are talking smaller buildings I love 5 Houston Center. It is very simple, but elegant at the same time. I think it is the showpiece of Houston Center if even if it is towered by the other Houston Center complex.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Williams Tower a.k.a Transco Tower a.k.a Willie T. This one dominates any Houston skyline regardless.

2. Wells Fargo Plaza

3. BofA. Houston has a unique gothic piece of the skyline, and its right here.

4. The Ex-Enron Twins (1400 Smith and 1500 Louisiana)

5. Eleven Hundred Louisiana. Kinda reminds me of BofA SF in its design. This one is truly underrated because Heritage Plaza sits in front of it. Am I the only one that likes this building?

Archived