Flagship Hotel Galveston At 2501 Seawall Blvd.

• 8 months later...

boy i dislike Landry's.... how can it be a "historical pier" if there wasn't any of that mess - rollar coaster etc before now?

If they thought the place in Kemah was hit bad... what about that place!

Edited by Hanno

boy i dislike Landry's.... how can it be a "historical pier" if there wasn't any of that mess - rollar coaster etc before now?

If they thought the place in Kemah was hit bad... what about that place!

Everyone in Houston hates Landrys and fertita... :wacko:

• 2 months later...

Repairs, amusement rides planned for Flagship

By Laura Elder

The Daily News Published September 25, 2009

GALVESTON — Landry’s Restaurants Inc. said it plans to repair the storied Flagship Hotel, where today curtains billow out through shattered windows and tourists stop to photograph gaping holes torn in outer walls by Hurricane Ike a year ago.

Landry’s had said it would consider demolishing the hotel and developing a “pleasure pier” with amusement rides if a sale of the 44-year-old property fell through.

But island native and Landry’s CEO Tilman Fertitta will move ahead with plans he made years ago to improve the troubled hotel, officials said this week.

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=52c78399fa7b4021

Edited by Urbannizer

• 1 month later...

Landry's announces Flagship plans

Landry’s unveils plans for Flagship

By Leigh Jones

The Daily News

Published October 29, 2009

GALVESTON — Officials with Landry’s Restaurants are planning to restore the Flagship Hotel and bring amusement rides back to the historic pier...

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=0f804b56d5183b76

An artist’s concept of what Landry’s pleasure pier at the Flagship Hotel will look like evokes the island’s pleasure piers of the past with a Ferris wheel and a carousel.

1029_LOC_Flagship-render.jpg

260xStory.jpg

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

It's going to take more than a ferris wheel to fix that place up.

That's why it's also getting a carousel.

Edit: your car may need to pull a Dukes of Hazzard jump to get to the parking lot, but still... it'll have a carousel!

Edited by AtticaFlinch

I'm not a big fan of chain restaurant developers, but I would like to see the property cleaned up, and returned to it's roots. That rendering is a really good one. Even without a hotel, it's a nice idea. But they better get some good insurance, if they proceed. That Flagship has been nasty looking, for years. Would be nice to see it go.

Oh, they are going to keep the hotel, and restore it. I think just a restaurant would be nice.

Edited by NenaE

I thought a pool on the roof would have been much more cool, with another attraction at the end of the pier, but that's just me.

This view would be awsome from a lit pool and cabana on a warm summer night/day (actual views from the Flagship hotel)...

2567478483_c619510aba.jpg

48953800.jpg

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

Wow! That last pic makes the Galveston surf look like the Amalfi Coast. Photoshop rules!

This is one instance where I can't hate on Tilman. The important thing is bringing back the hotel.

Yup. For as much as I despise Kemah, if he pulls this off, I will tip my hat to him. This is what the Flagship used to be, and this is what it needs to come back. I wish him luck.

Blue water and white sands in Galveston? blink.gif

That's phase II of the Flagship rebuild. After the hotel and pier have been fixed, and all sorts of cool doodads put in, Fertitta's going to pull all the silt out of the Gulf water.

I'm not saying Fertitta is God, but I think it's self-evident he's at least god-like.

That's phase II of the Flagship rebuild. After the hotel and pier have been fixed, and all sorts of cool doodads put in, Fertitta's going to pull all the silt out of the Gulf water.

I'm not saying Fertitta is God, but I think it's self-evident he's at least god-like.

Actually guys this is not a photoshop. Sometimes the water IS this color, though very,VERY rare.

Galveston Oh Galveston

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

Actually guys this is not a photoshop. Sometimes the water IS this color, though very,VERY rare.

http://www.flickr.co...e57/2420691172/

This may sound far fetched and a bit like an easily dismissed conspiracy theory, but hear me out. I have the understanding Galveston used to have bluer waters for a long time. What changed was that so many Gulf waterways from the Mississippi River to Brays Bayou were concreted, causing silt which would have normally settled along the waterway banks to float out into the Gulf. The brown isn't caused by garbage. It's caused by silt. Had the silt had the opportunity to settle before making it into the Gulf, it would have. But, it didn't. The only place to go was the Gulf, and as a result now Galveston has brown, dirty-looking water.

I actually saw Galveston water with a very clear-green color one time. It wasn't it's usual murky brown color. Was a couple of yrs. ago, in the spring/ early summer months, was still a little cool outside. My sister & I grew up going to nasty Galveston, we actually were out in the water, and on the beach, not believing it. Figured it had something to do with the weather, recent rain, and/ or movement of water into the Gulf, or tides. Was very unusual.