Flagship Hotel Galveston At 2501 Seawall Blvd.

lwood

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove by it yesterday before returning home and should have taken some pictures myself. It's completely gutted and not sure how they will remove the rest. Implosion perhaps?

I was there Saturday. It's pretty much a steel skeleton - there's not much left to implode.

The main concern seems to be a hope that demolition debris won't wash up on the beach.

[edit - double post]

• 4 weeks later...

I personally don't have any issue with the pier becoming an amusement park... Why not have more diversions along the Seawall? My understanding is the pier is being structurally-enhanced, and no doubt any new structures will be built as hurricane-resistant as possible. Wind will whip right through any ride structures. Hopefully the new buildings will have the best storm shutters built right into the facades for easy storm prep.

There are similar, very successful amusment pier developments on both the east and west coasts. RE: Steel Pier in Atlantic City and Morey's Piers in Wildwood, NJ, Pacific Park in Santa Monica, CA...

Steel Pier

My link

Morey's Piers

My link

Pacific Park

My link

...and I trust the new Pleasure Pier will be framed more thoughtfully with attractive facilities.

This video coverage from khou.com seems to have the best views of the renderings for the Pleasure Pier:

My link

Regarding any roller coaster for the pier, specifically: originally an "El Loco"-style coaster (manufactured by S&S) was proposed, but a Gerstlauer-manufactured Eurofighter-style ride is likely going to be built instead.

El Loco by S&S:

My link

Eurofigher by Gerstlauer:

My link

Here's the snippet from screamscape.com:

"(3/8/11) According to Screamscape sources, Landry’s plans for their new amusement park pier on the site of the former Flagship hotel in Galveston will include a Gerstlauer EuroFighter style coaster. Previous rumors pointed to an S&S El Loco style ride, but it looks like the EuroFighter proposal won out. More on this as I find out."

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Flagship Hotel Galveston At 2501 Seawall Blvd.

Archived