Heights Mansion - 540 Heights Blvd.

Urbannizer

I dont think this has anything to do with the Heights. Painting houses white (esp with dark trim) is a popular trend and likely has nothing to do with White Linen Nights.  I advised my parents to do it in Timbergrove with no idea it was popular or trendy back in 2018 and over the past four years since, every time I've noticed a house change color its like a 90% chance this is what they did too.  I notice it all over. Garden Oaks, Timbergrove/Lazybrook, Oak Forest.  Brick houses, siding, remodels, brand new houses. 

Edited by JJxvi

16 minutes ago, JJxvi said:

I dont think this has anything to do with the Heights. Painting houses white (esp with dark trim) is a popular trend and likely has nothing to do with White Linen Nights.  I advised my parents to do it in Timbergrove with no idea it was popular or trendy back in 2018 and over the past four years since, every time I've noticed a house change color its like a 90% chance this is what they did too.  I notice it all over. Garden Oaks, Timbergrove/Lazybrook, Oak Forest.  Brick houses, siding, remodels, brand new houses. 

This is definitely the year of white houses with black trim. It's trendy, but timeless. My late Aunt and Uncle's c. 1938 Salisbury & McHale home in Riverside has been painted white with black trim for probably all its life. Fortunately, my cousin hasn't changed the paint scheme.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JJxvi said:

For those of us who do not live under a rock, we have been watching with horror as the vapid home flipper industry (in particular a certain couple from Waco who shall remain nameless here) has adopted the modern Victorian farmhouse as the sine qua non of home architecture and interior design aesthetics.  This cheap fad extended well beyond new builds and flips into painting every house white with black trim regardless of whether it is a MCM, Victorian, Craftsman, Contemporary, Modern or anything in between.  But in a neighborhood filled with charming craftsman architecture, painting everything white is akin to the bleaching of a coral reef.  

And the WLN reference was a joke.

Agricole seemed to lose interest in Revival when they expanded to the east side.  It was still good, but in its prime it had some magical dishes like the smoked gulf by catch and the kolache specials.  When Kolache Shoppe opened, I couldn't get my son to eat there because the kolaches weren't as good as Revival's.  I do look forward to something new that is Revival adjacent that will hopefully breathe some fresh new light into the space.  The Heights is starting to run a bit short on good new places from local chefs versus getting the second or third location of a popular Austin restaurant or a national chain that the foodies like.  

On 7/29/2022 at 12:12 PM, s3mh said:

For those of us who do not live under a rock, we have been watching with horror as the vapid home flipper industry (in particular a certain couple from Waco who shall remain nameless here) has adopted the modern Victorian farmhouse as the sine qua non of home architecture and interior design aesthetics.  This cheap fad extended well beyond new builds and flips into painting every house white with black trim regardless of whether it is a MCM, Victorian, Craftsman, Contemporary, Modern or anything in between.  But in a neighborhood filled with charming craftsman architecture, painting everything white is akin to the bleaching of a coral reef.  

And the WLN reference was a joke.

This place is currently late 90's faux whatever with red brick right? It's probably gonna look better after its bleaching. It's not exactly the Webber House/Moody Mansion/whatever.  Once the brick is painted then I guess future generations won't have to worry about that at least, and future colors could be anything.

Edited by JJxvi

On 7/29/2022 at 11:15 AM, JLWM8609 said:

This is definitely the year of white houses with black trim. It's trendy, but timeless. My late Aunt and Uncle's c. 1938 Salisbury & McHale home in Riverside has been painted white with black trim for probably all its life. Fortunately, my cousin hasn't changed the paint scheme.

Trendy is an understatement.  A house near us in Woodland Heights was sitting on the market for a couple months.  The owner painted it completely white (like primer-white, including the trim) and re-listed it for $25k higher.  Went under contract for full asking price within 10 days. 

Not my taste (and you have to be careful not to look at it directly on a bright sunny day), but people will clearly buy anything white.

• 4 weeks later...

I’d bet $100 bucks all you people that don’t like the white/black trend are of an older generation and or more traditional. I grew up in The Heights and all my family has been there since the 1960’s, we are very happy people are painting their homes and making them more modern and choosing a more neutral color palette. White is clean, timeless, and just looks really good compared to a generic suburban looking brick colors or the gaudy early 2000’s brown/beige theme that seem to still be prevalent around Houston. 

Edited by TX3G4R
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, TX3G4R said:

we are very happy people are painting their homes and making them more modern 

This implies that there was something wrong with the original look of the craftsman architecture and design of the original housing stock in the Heights.  That is what is so aggravating about the Modern Victorian Farmhouse fad.  It is that it is a fad and in 5-10 years, everyone will be painting their houses and changing trim and interior design to meet the next fad fed to you via HGTV.  

2 hours ago, s3mh said:

This implies that there was something wrong with the original look of the craftsman architecture and design of the original housing stock in the Heights.  That is what is so aggravating about the Modern Victorian Farmhouse fad.  It is that it is a fad and in 5-10 years, everyone will be painting their houses and changing trim and interior design to meet the next fad fed to you via HGTV.  

Hey how else is the home renovation industrial complex supposed to make that $$?

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Heights Mansion - 540 Heights Blvd.
On 9/6/2022 at 9:34 AM, s3mh said:

There was something wrong with the original look. The new owners didn't like it, so they changed it. Their property, their aesthetic. 

• 8 months later...