Concept Neighborhood to Redevelop 201 Roberts Street and Surrounding Areas

Leasing plan for The Plant / Second Ward, a redevelopment project from Neighborhood Concept.

The leasing plan is included in marketing materials for The Plant / Second Ward.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3218-Sherman-St-Houston-TX/27440904/

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/FsKDL3rS74AXA9nWOnFH0LbEdl_OFuhZoigdvINztoQ/PlantSecond WardFlyer.pdf

https://www.theplantsecondward.com

• 500 – 25,000 sf spaces

• Available off-street and  neighborhood parking

• Retail, restaurant, creative office, maker, and artist spaces

• Historic warehouse buildings

2qSLvw8.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:59 AM, ljchou said:

Starting a new topic for this:

Concept neighborhood purchased the former WKM buildings surrounding 201 Roberts Street.

See article below:

The vision of the future "Model T" building (I believe this is directly across from New Hope Housing):

image.png.554798641410e5cd6004756458a8b9e7.png

On 7/8/2022 at 11:54 AM, phillip_white said:

Another photo from the article:

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

Concept Neighborhood has a new listing for 3210 Commerce St.

This is located on Commerce on the corner of N Sampson St and Sherman St. 

According to the date on Loopnet, the listing was created in early January.

Details from the listing:

• Restaurant and brewery space centrally located within the 17+ acre Plant Second Ward walkable neighborhood connecting the Harrisburg Light Rail to Buffalo Bayou Partnership's East Sector revitalization of the Buffalo Bayou trails, anchored by singular green spaces, unique retail, chef driven restaurants and creative office and maker spaces.

• This historic structure contains extensive steel framed windows, clerestory windows and original wood joists, in addition to 4,000 sq ft of covered outdoor patio. Abuts the central plaza that will anchor the Roberts Row revitalization project... Direct proximity to East End Hike & Bike Trail.

• 11,300 SF of office/retail space available

•  2 hard corners and bordered by 3 streets: Commerce St., Roberts St., and Sherman St.

• Abuts central plaza and future greenway 

• Abuts planned extension of East End Hike & Bike Trail

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3210-Commerce-St-Houston-TX/27468128/

Rendering of the proposed restaurant and brewery space facing Sherman St

imwVbCG.jpg

8eELPEP.jpg

• Like 1

Based on my discussions with the guys behind this plan, they have three or more phases that will break ground in 2023, 2024, and 2025. It sounds like the overall plan will take at least 10 years to fully complete, since their vision is pretty grand and includes new parks, trails, apartment complexes, etc.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mcdonaj1 said:

This is a cool project, but not sure about the 400 square foot housing units are they building this in New York or Boston? Not sure what the price would have to be or what the market is like for a unit like that in Houston.

I'd take it if it's under $1100/mo

• Haha 2

This development firm wants to make Houston’s East End area a car-free neighborhood

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/shows/houston-matters/neighborhoods/2023/01/17/441524/this-development-firm-wants-to-make-houstons-east-end-area-a-car-free-neighborhood/

Edited by HoustonMidtown

28 minutes ago, HoustonMidtown said:

As much as I appreciate the continued publicity, that article felt like it was written by somebody who lives nowhere near Houston...

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 2:46 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

I hope it succeeds, and I hope the car based townhomes going up at the corner of Sampson and Harrisburg are not a foreshadowing. Seriously though, I wish Houston P&D had the guts to do something about it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Houston Chronicle today:

"Aurora Picture Show, the experimental "microcinema" founded in Houston in 1998, will be moving into a new home in the East End Cultural District later this year.

The new location, at 201 Roberts Street, is part of The Plant, a community development in the Second Ward being built in 13 historic industrial buildings that once served as the headquarters of oil field manufacturer W-K-M. "

https://www.chron.com/culture/tv/article/aurora-picture-moving-17798990.php

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 1:10 PM, hindesky said:

Proposed plat.

NLyOHkc.png
F7UCwhg.png

f3JAIGG.png

2ue44uj.png

I doubt this specific block will change much. The warehouse looks dilapidated but the inside is actually quite nice, with current offices and meeting rooms. If you peek in, it's has a very cool interior both in the lobby (retro) and the warehouse offices themselves. I wonder if the replat is to include the empty lot at Garrow + Sampson to enable expansion.

• Thanks 1

I went to Eden Plant Co for some coffee yesterday morning. cool place.

coffee is an ok price, plant prices are somewhat ridiculous, but the atmosphere is great.

after, we took a drive around where this is all going to be. it'll be pretty big and cool if they can pull it off.

• Like 2

Has anyone noticed the shack that's getting refurbished on the corner just northwest of Louie's? It now has the noticeable teal green iron windows from rootlabof the plant development and Joybrush signs was parked there (part of the plant house/concept neighborhood friend crew)

I'm thinking (or rather hoping) this might be the brick and mortar location of Angie's pizza. I saw on their instagram they are hiring and they mentioned it will be "very close to Louie's"

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 9:10 AM, ljchou said:

Has anyone noticed the shack that's getting refurbished on the corner just northwest of Louie's? It now has the noticeable teal green iron windows from rootlabof the plant development and Joybrush signs was parked there (part of the plant house/concept neighborhood friend crew)

I'm thinking (or rather hoping) this might be the brick and mortar location of Angie's pizza. I saw on their instagram they are hiring and they mentioned it will be "very close to Louie's"

Can you link more info about Angie's? 

That parcel was replatted as "Champ's Pizza" last year.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:02 AM, wilcal said:

Can you link more info about Angie's? 

That parcel was replatted as "Champ's Pizza" last year.

There's not much info to be honest. The brother of the brother sister duo who opened Louie's originally did pop-ups around the area (how to survive, 8th wonder, etc) under the name Angie's (instagram: @angiespizzapies) with a portable pizza oven. Literally a brick pizza oven on a trailer.

They also did a brief tasting menu pop up in the east end at the plant house (the house of a group of a locals who happen to be investor(s) of the plant - retail development where louie's is located - and concept neighborhood planned developments)

It's my some of my favorite pizza I've found in Houston. I was hoping Louie's would feature some Angie's 'za but HOPEFULLY it forms into some sort of beautiful pizza shop under the name champs, though that would be odd given that champ burger is on the same block.

When they were opening Louie's (Cafe Louie at the time), they posted lots of louie's updates on the Angie's page, and lately they've been hyping a pizza shop opening soon.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:10 AM, ljchou said:

Are you referring to 318 Sampson St that's on the corner of Sampson St and Preston St? It's the lot across from New Hope Housing at 3315 Harrisburg Blvd.

If that's not it, can you provide an address or cross streets?

This is a parcel map of 318 Sampson St:

lOhJphC.jpg

January 2023 Streetview of 318 Sampson St:

1368v5F.jpg

3 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Are you referring to 318 Sampson St that's on the corner of Sampson St and Preston St? It's the lot across from New Hope Housing at 3315 Harrisburg Blvd.

If that's not it, can you provide an address or cross streets?

That is the plat that I was talking about.

They recorded the plat last fall:

Vx3GmwV.png

At one point the name that they supplied for the plat was Champs Pizza.

This parcel is not part of the Concept Neighborhood project, so while it is possible they would go here, it would make more sense to me that they would end up in all of the hundreds of thousands of sq ft of planned development immediately next to this. But that is purely a guess.

Edit: Sent Angie's a message on Instagram. We'll see if they reply.

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 9:22 PM, ljchou said:

It's my some of my favorite pizza I've found in Houston. I was hoping Louie's would feature some Angie's 'za but HOPEFULLY it forms into some sort of beautiful pizza shop under the name champs, though that would be odd given that champ burger is on the same block.

Louie's is changing (again) to become a brick-and-mortar Angie's:

Houston pizza pop-up Angie’s returns as Italian restaurant rebrands (houstonchronicle.com)