Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

The road is now being filled in up to washington.

Is there a predicted increase in the surrounding properties as soon as the mall is completed?

I have been thinking the same thing....how long can the rice plant and other industries consider it feasible to stay in the area. I would assume that the taxes these businesses are paying or are about to pay are going to be through the roof....and I would think they would look to the suburbs, etc. where their overhead would be much lower.

Pig Stand it going to do a booming business! haha. But seriously, I was wondering the same thing...with taxes sure to skyrocket next year, and developers eager to turn the whole Sawyer Heights area into the next "West U" or "Upper Kirby" or "Town and Country" or whatever it is, seems the industrial will start to disappear....?

sounds good.. i live 4 blocks away on summer street.. we need grocerys around here.. the neighborhood is doing alot of building... ive seen several homes on summer street.. and i just saw a townhome sign aswell.. im just waiting for them to knock on my door and make me a good offer...haahahah

I would definitely like to see a Whole Foods rather than just a Target with junk food aisles. The Kirby WF location is the nearest one and it's always waaay too crowded. By the way, the link to email new store location suggestions for them can be found at:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/realestate/index.html

Edited by takeshi

I would definitely like to see a Whole Foods rather than just a Target with junk food aisles. The Kirby WF location is the nearest one and it's always waaay too crowded.

It will be a VERY VERY LONG TIME before WF comes to this area (if ever). The economic demographics are not right for them.

Pig Stand it going to do a booming business! haha. But seriously, I was wondering the same thing...with taxes sure to skyrocket next year, and developers eager to turn the whole Sawyer Heights area into the next "West U" or "Upper Kirby" or "Town and Country" or whatever it is, seems the industrial will start to disappear....?

Back in 1999 I remember saying the same thing about the vacant lots and abandoned buildings in Midtown.

Here we are in 2006.

It's a slow row to hoe.

Back in 1999 I remember saying the same thing about the vacant lots and abandoned buildings in Midtown.

Here we are in 2006.

It's a slow row to hoe.

agreed. I can't wait until 5-10 years from now, to see how the area looks. I can't imagine the wharehouses being there much longer. The reaon why some of them haven't left is probably because it looks like their machinery is so old, moving would mean purchasing a whole patch of machines and processors.

agreed. I can't wait until 5-10 years from now, to see how the area looks. I can't imagine the wharehouses being there much longer. The reaon why some of them haven't left is probably because it looks like their machinery is so old, moving would mean purchasing a whole patch of machines and processors.

I wonder if they grandfather in some safety and things too. If your plant is operational and then you go and build a whole new facility, do you end up incurring costs associated with meeting current regulations? Even if you could move the industrial widget assembly, it does not meet code so you have buy a new industrial widget assembly?

It wouldn't surprise me if this were the case.

I work in oil and gas, so this may be way off. But I know when you change the site use from something industrial you have to mitigate the site from contamination. You are required to do an environmental study, and are required by law to clean anything that the study finds. However, you are not required to do any type of study to determine the contamination as long as the site usage stays the same. In other words, as long as you never know how much contamination is there, then you are never required to clean it (which can be very costly). I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the industrials that are there, but just maybe?

I drove by today and noticed that a new structure is being built attached on to the completed target on the north side.

Also a large section of land is being prepared for foundation on the northeast section of the shopping mall site. I didn't see any signs as to what they are going to be though.

I drove by tonight and noticed that a "driveway" entrance was being cut into the land from the Taylor exit access road....I assume so drivers can get into the shopping center from the feeder instead of turning at Taylor. Things are starting to happen!

OK guys, new mystery (or maybe I just don't know what I'm seeing). Drove up into the Target tonight on the way home, and parked in front. Store is still fairly empty, but I was more intrigued by whatever it is they are putting next to it. They poured a slab a few days ago, and I thought, cool, more retail. Now they have poured all sorts of raised and lowered and even angled, concrete forms on top of the slab. It doesn't look like any sort of retail space I've ever seen at that stage. I tried to visualize how that would work and I couldn't figure it out, unless it's specific to whatever is going in that space. Has anyone else seen this?? My first thought was some sort of bike parking area, maybe with a water feature? Then I imagined stalls filled with all sorts of Farmers Market type vendors but then I figured that was just wishful thinking.

Oh! And they painted the oil derrick a shiny black. It looks pretty cool...

OK guys, new mystery (or maybe I just don't know what I'm seeing). Drove up into the Target tonight on the way home, and parked in front. Store is still fairly empty, but I was more intrigued by whatever it is they are putting next to it. They poured a slab a few days ago, and I thought, cool, more retail. Now they have poured all sorts of raised and lowered and even angled, concrete forms on top of the slab. It doesn't look like any sort of retail space I've ever seen at that stage. I tried to visualize how that would work and I couldn't figure it out, unless it's specific to whatever is going in that space. Has anyone else seen this?? My first thought was some sort of bike parking area, maybe with a water feature? Then I imagined stalls filled with all sorts of Farmers Market type vendors but then I figured that was just wishful thinking.

Oh! And they painted the oil derrick a shiny black. It looks pretty cool...

We drove by tonight on our way out. Weird slab, indeed. We sat there for a couple minutes and debated. Whatever I said, my husband had a viable reason why not and vice versa. He thought maybe a small garden center, but it's not tied in to the store. I brought up the water feature, but we could only see one possible plumbing line and it was not central to the space. Then there is one section that still has exposed rebar. Who knows... It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

Does anyone know what that steel building with the gazebo in front is? It's now up for sale... It would make a cool little restaurant.

The building houses Dakota Framing and Photography. They are a custom shop specializing in corporate installations and fine art. It is also the couple's home. The gazebo is actually "in the back".

That IS weird...that slab was so odd....I was beginning to think it was maybe something related to the rumored 24 Hr Fitness but who knows. It's weird. I drove up in there tonight but a security guy ran me off. He rolled down his window and said "the store isn't open, unless you work here, please leave". I complied and drove off. So excited that the opening is almost here...if anyone hears of a "soft opening" (i.e. opening before the "official" opening) please let us know!

That IS weird...that slab was so odd....I was beginning to think it was maybe something related to the rumored 24 Hr Fitness but who knows. It's weird. I drove up in there tonight but a security guy ran me off. He rolled down his window and said "the store isn't open, unless you work here, please leave". I complied and drove off. So excited that the opening is almost here...if anyone hears of a "soft opening" (i.e. opening before the "official" opening) please let us know!

Ha! They're probably sick of all of us driving around down there and speculating! Target doesn't want the HAIF crowd having any more information than the rest of Houston :P