Sunrise Lofts: Multifamily At 3103 McKinney St.

phillip_white

Not sure if this is new "roiling" or a known development (also technically EaDo), but I'm adding it here:

Sunrise Lofts - 89 Units with 81 designated as Community Development Block Grant Disaster Relief

https://csd.harriscountytx.gov/Documents/Table of Selected CDBG-DR Affordable Rental Projects 051920 - website.pdf

Recent (3/22/21) plan review permit states 64,086 sq ft apts with amenities. Currently an empty lot.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2021 at 3:54 PM, phillip_white said:

Not sure if this is new "roiling" or a known development (also technically EaDo), but I'm adding it here:

Sunrise Lofts - 89 Units with 81 designated as Community Development Block Grant Disaster Relief

https://csd.harriscountytx.gov/Documents/Table of Selected CDBG-DR Affordable Rental Projects 051920 - website.pdf

Recent (3/22/21) plan review permit states 64,086 sq ft apts with amenities. Currently an empty lot.

Sunrise Lofts at 3103 McKinney Street permit.

0qE8c3e.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the building only being three stories and situated only on one side of the lot (towards the Columbia Tap Rail Trail and METRO line), it looks as though they are foregoing a parking garage. That's beyond disappointing. 

The parking lot and front driveway layout in this rendering is less than ideal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Based on the building only being three stories and situated only on one side of the lot (towards the Columbia Tap Rail Trail and METRO line), it looks as though they are foregoing a parking garage. That's beyond disappointing. 

Definitely a lost opportunity as currently planned. They could have placed a mammoth parking garage along the rail side of the lot, which would both hide it from the street and block some of the noise from the train horns. But I guess they get the tax incentives no matter what they put here.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, thedistrict84 said:

"This 3-story, 93 unit Teen Transitional Housing Community"

Yep, need a huge parking structure for those transitioning teens

• Like 8

14 hours ago, gmac said:

"This 3-story, 93 unit Teen Transitional Housing Community"

Yep, need a huge parking structure for those transitioning teens

I missed that part, no need to be a snide. I understood this to be another senior housing development, similar to the one going up around the corner on Scott. Also confusing that it’s referred to as “multi-family” when it would probably be more accurate to consider it institutional housing, given the details.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in the neighborhood directly across the metro line / on the same side of McKinney as this site. House hasn't stopped shaking while that backhoe is breaking up the concrete on the lot. So it looks like this building is going to be affordable housing/something to do with transitional teens? What does that mean for nearby property values in the short term (~3-5yrs)? Also what is housing for transitional teens? 

7 hours ago, TTTatum said:

I live in the neighborhood directly across the metro line / on the same side of McKinney as this site. House hasn't stopped shaking while that backhoe is breaking up the concrete on the lot. So it looks like this building is going to be affordable housing/something to do with transitional teens? What does that mean for nearby property values in the short term (~3-5yrs)? Also what is housing for transitional teens? 

Transitional Housing of any kind usually means housing for homeless people to give them a permanent address for a year or two so they can apply for jobs and find housing of their own once under income. 

Whatever this does to local housing prices, I doubt it'll make much of a dent in the current housing price boom.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 4:39 PM, HouTXRanger said:

Transitional Housing of any kind usually means housing for homeless people to give them a permanent address for a year or two so they can apply for jobs and find housing of their own once under income. 

Whatever this does to local housing prices, I doubt it'll make much of a dent in the current housing price boom.

From the article from KHOU, it seems this will be housing to help transition teens/ young adults who age out of foster care. Since many don't necessarily have somewhere to go after, this seems like a great way to get them the social, educational, and other services. 

Here's an article the Texas Tribune did on the issue recently: https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/21/coronavirus-texas-foster-youth/

Do I think that this is an initiative that has the potential to help people? Yes. Do I support putting in transitional housing for foster youth and other people? Yes.

However, and I've said this before, I think the city/ state can do better than place what seems like all the new transitional housing in the East End or other economically not as well off parts of the city because the property values are less expensive here right now. They could more evenly distribute development into other parts of the city, but I think that historic lack of civic engagement from the East End and other working class neighborhoods (i.e. fewer people that make a fuss) makes it easier to place these developments here. Stepping off my soapbox now. 

• Like 5

While I generally agree with you, I actually think in this instance that the location was well chosen. It's got good access to both bike lanes/trails and transit (though I really think a purple line infill station right about here would be a good idea).

While it's a historically working class neighborhood, there's a lot of new development in the immediate vicinity. How many dozens of brand new townhouses are within a 10 minute walk of this site? 

This neighborhood is changing rapidly, so I don't really think this can considered an example of dumping social services wherever is cheapest/people will complain the least (or have the least money to amplify their complaints). 

• Like 1

Then why didn't they build in Midtown? Or in any of the empty lots in Downtown? There's surely greater accessibility to the rail line and transit there. How about Rice Military has direct access to plenty of bike paths, Memorial Park, and a bus that goes down Washington. 

Yes, the East End is developing and for the most part, I applaud that development. Let's develop and redevelop in a sustainable way, including affordable housing here and in other places. Because it's not just this building or this housing project that I direct my comments to, it's that the majority of these projects are being built in the East End, Northside, or Fifth Ward where the residents are poorer and less white. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 77011transplant said:

Then why didn't they build in Midtown? Or in any of the empty lots in Downtown? There's surely greater accessibility to the rail line and transit there. How about Rice Military has direct access to plenty of bike paths, Memorial Park, and a bus that goes down Washington. 

Yes, the East End is developing and for the most part, I applaud that development. Let's develop and redevelop in a sustainable way, including affordable housing here and in other places. Because it's not just this building or this housing project that I direct my comments to, it's that the majority of these projects are being built in the East End, Northside, or Fifth Ward where the residents are poorer and less white. 

3 low income projects are going up in Midtown  - Temenos Place, Caroline Lofts and Magnificat House.

In total Houston Housing Development has 41 projects either under construction, being redeveloped or in the planning stages.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/c48a167c25b34b91aab2aedd56636624?cover=false

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, hindesky said:

3 low income projects are going up in Midtown  - Temenos Place, Caroline Lofts and Magnificat House.

In total Houston Housing Development has 41 projects either under construction, being redeveloped or in the planning stages.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/c48a167c25b34b91aab2aedd56636624?cover=false

And I believe they are expanding the Disabled Vets housing at the south end of Midtown.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Cool. I retract my Midtown comment. Thanks for the info.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...