Olshan Lumber Company At 2600 Commerce St.

If this was actually purchased by Tilman, I do think this will be where they put the new practice facility. Interesting use of the property and I would obviously much prefer an HEB but it makes sense as it's fairly close to Toyota Center, big enough to get creative and most likely cheaper than a lot of other surrounding areas. 

This tweet leads me to believe something is in the works. Not necessarily at this location but somewhere. 

https://twitter.com/FeliciaPStone/status/1487854877527232520?s=20&t=hpLjBYrGfrT64NJxloB5lQ

This is the wife of the GM of the Rockets responding to a fan complaining about the practice facility. Additionally, this tweet was liked by Tilman's son. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, sapo2367 said:

@wilcal did some great photoshop showing the Montrose HEB on this property -- there is a ton of space for everyone's Ford F-250 even with a single story HEB :)

I believe the only 2 story part of the Heights HEB is the pharmacy on the ground floor.

in google maps you have the option if you right click, to select 'measure distance' down on the bottom, if you connect the distance measured back on itself, it will give you the area. essentially the area you highlighted in red is about 600,000 SF. 

HEB at Heights/Washington is on 235,000 SF. HEB at Bissonet and Bellaire is on 145,000 SF. HEB at Shepherd and 23rd is on 195,000 SF. 

they'd be out of their minds to do a multi story location here. building up costs money, the land doesn't cost enough to consider the benefit of going up. so lets look at some in the loop HEB 1 story locations.

Montrose HEB is (with a full parking lot) is on 315,000 SF. the newest HEB at 288 and MacGregor is 550,000 SF.

the problem with the East End site is that it's separated by streets. Live Oak and Commerce. no way they'd make customers park, then cross Commerce to go shopping. considering though Live Oak dead ends at Commerce, I bet they could get the city to relinquish the slice of Live Oak between Commerce and Canal. that would give them 360,000 SF to play with in one contiguous lot. which is more than enough for a Montrose sized store. 

for a good portion of the East End, this site is no easier to get to than Gulfgate HEB, or even 288 HEB. however, from the East River site? this is super close to that, and also close to the newer apartments downtown who are underserved for groceries too. it really does make sense.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

If this was actually purchased by Tilman, I do think this will be where they put the new practice facility. Interesting use of the property and I would obviously much prefer an HEB but it makes sense as it's fairly close to Toyota Center, big enough to get creative and most likely cheaper than a lot of other surrounding areas. 

This tweet leads me to believe something is in the works. Not necessarily at this location but somewhere. 

https://twitter.com/FeliciaPStone/status/1487854877527232520?s=20&t=hpLjBYrGfrT64NJxloB5lQ

This is the wife of the GM of the Rockets responding to a fan complaining about the practice facility. Additionally, this tweet was liked by Tilman's son. 

And they just upgraded the team plane with new NBA amenities. You might be right about. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, samagon said:

in google maps you have the option if you right click, to select 'measure distance' down on the bottom, if you connect the distance measured back on itself, it will give you the area. essentially the area you highlighted in red is about 600,000 SF. 

HEB at Heights/Washington is on 235,000 SF. HEB at Bissonet and Bellaire is on 145,000 SF. HEB at Shepherd and 23rd is on 195,000 SF. 

they'd be out of their minds to do a multi story location here. building up costs money, the land doesn't cost enough to consider the benefit of going up. so lets look at some in the loop HEB 1 story locations.

Montrose HEB is (with a full parking lot) is on 315,000 SF. the newest HEB at 288 and MacGregor is 550,000 SF.

the problem with the East End site is that it's separated by streets. Live Oak and Commerce. no way they'd make customers park, then cross Commerce to go shopping. considering though Live Oak dead ends at Commerce, I bet they could get the city to relinquish the slice of Live Oak between Commerce and Canal. that would give them 360,000 SF to play with in one contiguous lot. which is more than enough for a Montrose sized store. 

for a good portion of the East End, this site is no easier to get to than Gulfgate HEB, or even 288 HEB. however, from the East River site? this is super close to that, and also close to the newer apartments downtown who are underserved for groceries too. it really does make sense.

Somewhere in the various links I saw that this property includes the option to remove white oak alley. 

On 2/7/2022 at 1:50 PM, samagon said:

Perhaps not a great business decision, but it seems like the city should be doing everything it can to deter anyone from building another giant surface lot inside the loop ever again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Perhaps not a great business decision, but it seems like the city should be doing everything it can to deter anyone from building another giant surface lot inside the loop ever again.

I don't know if deterring giant surface lots would be the right way to put it, maybe encourage better use of land, specifically around light rail?

for instance, maybe the city could encourage the owners of Lot C to bring in HEB. it'll be right next to the freeway entrance ramps, it's right across from the stadium stop on the light rail, easy access for Harrisburg as well as Navigation.

I mean, that lot is in use, 80 times for MLB home games, 15 times for MLS home games. and randomly for other events. otherwise it's even less useful than most surface lots inside the loop (surface lots for the NFL stadium are probably even less useful). 

it's about 390,000 SF, so it's plenty big enough, none of that land will be encroached by the freeway, Lot B is already going away, and there is tons of parking still in the area. the huge bonus will be to wrecker drivers who get to tow all the people who decide they can park there for the baseball games. but yeah, that is a huge waste of very useful real estate right next to a light rail line, and about to have very easy access for freeway access.

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I don't know if deterring giant surface lots would be the right way to put it, maybe encourage better use of land, specifically around light rail?

for instance, maybe the city could encourage the owners of Lot C to bring in HEB. it'll be right next to the freeway entrance ramps, it's right across from the stadium stop on the light rail, easy access for Harrisburg as well as Navigation.

I mean, that lot is in use, 80 times for MLB home games, 15 times for MLS home games. and randomly for other events. otherwise it's even less useful than most surface lots inside the loop (surface lots for the NFL stadium are probably even less useful). 

it's about 390,000 SF, so it's plenty big enough, none of that land will be encroached by the freeway, Lot B is already going away, and there is tons of parking still in the area. the huge bonus will be to wrecker drivers who get to tow all the people who decide they can park there for the baseball games. but yeah, that is a huge waste of very useful real estate right next to a light rail line, and about to have very easy access for freeway access.

The city is welcome to recruit new businesses and/or propose other uses, but it does come down to whether or not it's a great business decision.  It could be that the best use for the land at the moment is a parking lot.  Much of the development in downtown has been on surface lots that dot the area.  You can be sure, though, that if the land is really valuable then it will be redeveloped at some point.  We should think of these giant surface lots as future potential.  What fun would it be if everything got developed today and then we had nothing to look forward to?

• Like 1

you're certainly right, I'm not suggesting that the city strongarm whoever owns that property.

one day it will be something better, and I mean, I guess it could be the gutted our husk of a hotel.

this is probably a good topic for the general section "what is the least useful property inside the loop that has the most potential?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, samagon said:

you're certainly right, I'm not suggesting that the city strongarm whoever owns that property.

one day it will be something better, and I mean, I guess it could be the gutted our husk of a hotel.

this is probably a good topic for the general section "what is the least useful property inside the loop that has the most potential?"

My vote is for anywhere there is a Chipotle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Drove by yesterday, and this could be nothing, but I only saw for lease signs on the red brick building and the lot south of commerce. Not the main lumber lot.

On 3/9/2022 at 11:50 AM, ljchou said:

Just looked at the JLL site for this out of curiosity and noticed it's listed as "under contract", anyone have any additional info

Can you link the listing? I'm not seeing it on their site.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 12:33 PM, wilcal said:

Drove by yesterday, and this could be nothing, but I only saw for lease signs on the red brick building and the lot south of commerce. Not the main lumber lot.

Can you link the listing? I'm not seeing it on their site.

https://www.us.jll.com/en/investorcenter/land/12-acre-infill-oz-development-opportunity-with-adaptive-reuse-buildings-houston-houston-tx-unitedstates

Still showing as 'under contract' -- I was curious if there would be any movement with the recent announcement of the WKM property redevelopment down the street. Nothing that I can see though.

• 9 months later...
On 12/6/2021 at 1:42 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

Rumored practice facility? Probably not but it would make more sense than Clear Lake as mentioned in the article. 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/10-08-18-toyota-center-turns-15-houston-rockets-tilman-fertitta-tad-davis-houston-astros-jim-crane/

We can squash this possible rumor.

New practice facility going up in the Galleria area

• Like 2

Sorry, just realized I bumped a thread with no activity for almost a year without an actual update.

I ride my bike by this site every day on the way to/from work and I don't think I've seen a single iota of activity. 

Edit: they are also going to need to plat, so we'll get a plat well before any real construction sites if anything does start to happen.

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 1

One of the lots (and lumber storage zones) by St. Charles and Garrow has been used as what looks to be a long-term parking lot for a little while now. I don't know how to describe it, but cars go in, get parked, stay for a few hours or overnight, and then leave. Quite a few cars too. Curiously, I have not seen a human "working" there.

Address for the lot is roughly 207 St. Charles St.

I have noticed that too. Can't quite figure out what it's for. I didn't realize it was overnight though. My guess was it was being used as day-time parking for construction at the Mill and they're bussed back and forth. But that wouldn't make sense if it was overnight. 

• The title was changed to Olshan Lumber Company At 2600 Commerce St.