Let's Come Up With A Nickname For Metro Houston

ProHouston

"Ninety Countries in Search of a City" :D

Were not LA... ;)

I think Sea-Tex sounds pretty cool. Its "catchy".

PATENT PENDING! PATENT PENDING! (j.k.)

Houstar? Hm? Since the city is starting to ebrace the "star" more, I think its kinda cute... I dunno, I'll go shoot myself now. :lol: Or, since we have a train, and a plow on our city seal...

"Choo Choo City"

"Get Plowed City"

"When it floods here, no toxic sludge city"

"Helping Houston, Help the world"

I guess...

In Houston, something like "H-town" obviously refers to the city name only and not the metro area, but it of course has more name recognition for external marketing purposes, like those silly "Expect the Unexpected" type campaigns. For purely local uses, such as Chicagoland, something like Third Coast could work ("Visit your Third Coast Chevy dealer!") but I don't think you could expect it to pick up much external brand value.

See I dissagree with you here. Why do we need a metro name for a city that's over 600 square miles? This place is a freakin state in and of itself.

I heard the term H-Town way before moving here when refering to the Houston area. I had never heard of "The Bayou City", or "Space City", and certainly not "The Golden Triangle".

I like the ring and simplicity of H-Town, it's informal, alot like the personality of it's namesake. By the way I still think that Elvis coined that phrase, anyone know if this is true?

I like the ring and simplicity of H-Town, it's informal, alot like the personality of it's namesake. By the way I still think that Elvis coined that phrase, anyone know if this is true?

i have never heard that, and i hope it isn't true (was elvis ever g-fab? ^_^ )

Houston = city proper

Houstonia = city and surroundin area

It's simple, familiar, and destinct.

Houstonia, now that's not bad. I like that it keeps the name of the city as part of the metro. I may start testing out Houstonia, Third Coast, and SEaTex and see what reaction I get. I think all but Houstonia would require an explanation.

Can't you hear Frank Billingsley now? "Don't forget your four Ps folks, we've got a norther coming into <Houstonia, The Third Coast, The SEaTex>, so brace yourselves!"

It's H-Town, it has always been H-Town, and will always be H-Town. If you don't know, you better ask somebody.

I've been around Houston for a long time - off and on - but it seems like I first noticed the frequent use of H-Town on the Jim Rome sports talk show - it is rarely Houston and almost always H-Town - but the use is more of a nickname for the city than a label for the greater metro area.

Every now and then I hear people use Metroplex to describe Greater Houston, and that certainly seems quite weird.

Sea-Tex sounds too much like the Seattle airport - SeaTac - (which, oddly enough, was adopted as the actual name of a municipality by the Seattle Airport - SeaTac, Washington).

I'll suggest the Greater Pasadena-Houston Metro Area! :P

Could someone please, please, PLEASE tell me how to unsubscribe to this topic???? I go away for a few days and we're STILL stupiding on this inane topic.

We live in HOUSTON. Everyone everywhere knows where and what Houston is.

No one confuses us with Houston, Pa.

No one confuses Paris with Paris Tx.

I'ts OK.

We really don't need a nickname.

Really.

Really. Really. Really. :wacko:

[nmg stumbles off to bed]

B)

The nicknames mentioned here are made for urban areas that have grown up to swallow other good-sized towns and become a single identifiable area. They are different from city nicknames like "Bayou City" or whatever, in that they were coined to give people of these swallowed-up places their own identities. In other words, they arose out of necessity.

For instance Greater Los Angeles swallows up Orange County and it all becomes The Southland or Southern California.

The ones that are marketing slogans are rarely used outside the region they were created. For instance, "The Metroplex" is more of a Texas thing than a national thing. Most people call that place simply "Dallas" or "DFW".

The one purely Chamber of Commerce marketing name I can think of that has actually worked well is "Twin Cities" for Minneapolis-St. Paul. Again, this seems to serve the need to preserve an identity that might be lost in the smaller of the two main cities.

I've always thought "Chicagoland" sounded corny and beneath that great city. When I've written ads that ran in Chicago and used the term, my copy editors have always kicked them back, saying they've never heard of the term. Nevertheless, it's embraced by the city.

Houston has no such necessity for a nickname. The places we grew up to swallow were mostly empty prairie. They just became Houston, with no need to preserve their identity. In truth, there was no identity to preserve.

How about "Execution Capital of the Industrialized World"?

It has a certain catch.

:lol: Electric City! :lol:

Isn't houston the energy capital of the world?!

:D Da Booty City... :D

The "phattest" city in America...

:P The Secret City :P

Enron scandal, what happens in Houston stays in Houston, Houston's America's best kept secret, plus each person in Houston is unique in their own way...

Houston has no such necessity for a nickname. The places we grew up to swallow were mostly empty prairie. They just became Houston, with no need to preserve their identity. In truth, there was no identity to preserve.

I see your point. It's not like we wiped out cultural meccas to create our city.

Yet, I still take interest in the "Historic Houston" section of HAIF. There's something touching about knowing that small communities existed before wholesale development created the Houston that we now know.

For example, the road called Bammel - North Houston....what (or whom) the hell was Bammel? I bet someone, somewhere, cares. I'm mildly curious.

I see your point. It's not like we wiped out cultural meccas to create our city.

Yet, I still take interest in the "Historic Houston" section of HAIF. There's something touching about knowing that small communities existed before wholesale development created the Houston that we now know.

For example, the road called Bammel - North Houston....what (or whom) the hell was Bammel? I bet someone, somewhere, cares. I'm mildly curious.

You're right. I mildly care too.

Ask and you shall receive.

"BAMMEL, TEXAS. Bammel, eighteen miles north of downtown Houston at the intersection of Farm Road 1960 and Kuykendahl Road in north central Harris County, was established after the neighboring towns of Klein, Westfield, and Spring. It was named for Charles Bammel, a German Houstonian who built the Bammel and Kuehnle Merchandise store with his partner in 1915 and moved to the community for health reasons. A Bammel post office, at which Herman Kuehnle was the first postmaster, operated from 1916 until 1929. Bammel's store burned in 1927 but was later rebuilt to serve the new Bammel Forest subdivision. The town's population was reported as roughly fifty from 1929 until oil was discovered in the area in 1938. In 1943 the community reported two stores and a population of 200, but in 1949 its population was estimated at twenty. During the 1980s Bammel's residents were mainly commuters who worked in Houston. The community included two shopping centers, several schools, a hospital, and nearby cemeteries.

bibliography: The Heritage of North Harris County (n.p: North Harris County Branch, American Association of University Women, 1977). Houston Metropolitan Research Center Files, Houston Public Library.

Claudia Hazlewood"

I was one of those 1980s commuters...except I was going to law school.

Archived