Let's Come Up With A Nickname For Metro Houston

ProHouston

I think Metro Houston deserves a nickname. We're up over 5 million and counting, we're sprawled and proud of it, let's birth a new nickname for our beloved megalopolis. Let's not get confused with coming up with nicknames for the city of Houston either, we've already got several, Space City, Bayou City, H-Town, etc. I'm looking for a metro name like the Metroplex (even though other metro area's are making this term more commonplace), Bay Area, or Chicagoland.

Here are some ideas:

Houstonplex

Megaplex

SEaTex (for SouthEast Texas)

nothing with a "plex". third coast i've heard before; however, i don't want to be third. we already have an east coast and a west coast. "south coast" would simply be another way of saying "the gulf coast" which encompasses any region of any state on the gulf of mexico.

our newscasters often refer to the "greater houston area". this seems natural (although uninspired). i can't think of a cool sounding alternative that includes houston and it's surrounding suburbs/cities.

I like "Third Coast" as well but that could also apply to any other Gulf state.

I agree that Southeast Texas and Greater Houston area are existing examples but I'm looking for something with sizzle, something unique. Any town can be nicknames the "Greater <insert city name here> area" or "SE, N, NW <insert state name here>."

I'll go back to a previous idea, what about "SEaTex?"

I like "Third Coast" as well but that could also apply to any other Gulf state.

I agree that Southeast Texas and Greater Houston area are existing examples but I'm looking for something with sizzle, something unique. Any town can be nicknames the "Greater <insert city name here> area" or "SE, N, NW <insert state name here>."

I'll go back to a previous idea, what about "SEaTex?"

Geographically, "Third Coast" could apply to anywhere on the Gulf, but it's all about the marketing. Just like "Metroplex" could apply to any two adjacent cities, but DFW has made it it's own. "SETex" is a little too close to the "NoDo" school of made-up area marketing names for me to really warm up to it.

Personally, I like "third coast," but I've seen it used everywhere from Florida to the Great Lakes. Also, it has the subliminal "third rate" connotation, like "second city" sometimes feels "second class."

How about Megacity Houston. They floated that for Toronto for a while, but it never caught on.

Personally, I like "third coast," but I've seen it used everywhere from Florida to the Great Lakes. Also, it has the subliminal "third rate" connotation, like "second city" sometimes feels "second class."

How about Megacity Houston. They floated that for Toronto for a while, but it never caught on.

Megacity kind of goes along with Megaplex. Each of these could be generalized out though just like Metroplex. I think "Third Coast" is growing on me, but I'm sure if our area came to be known as the "Third Coast" then other cities along the coast would get ticked. But whatever, Texas is bigger and better, right? Those other cities are already jealous I'm sure. I think these are my favorite:

Third Coast

SEaTex

They not only represent a large area by size but also our location in the country. This could also lead in to a population figure for the whole area from Galveston to Huntsville and Baytown to Sealy. I'm sure that'd put us up over 6 million!

Megacity kind of goes along with Megaplex. Each of these could be generalized out though just like Metroplex. I think "Third Coast" is growing on me, but I'm sure if our area came to be known as the "Third Coast" then other cities along the coast would get ticked. But whatever, Texas is bigger and better, right? Those other cities are already jealous I'm sure. I think these are my favorite:

Third Coast

SEaTex

They not only represent a large area by size but also our location in the country. This could also lead in to a population figure for the whole area from Galveston to Huntsville and Baytown to Sealy. I'm sure that'd put us up over 6 million!

How about "Houston"?

Let's go to Tokyo: "Where are you from?' they ask..."Conroe" [or fill in the blank], you answer. "Where is that?" they ask. "SEatx" [or fill in the blank] you answer. "Oh" they say politely, not having a clue what you are talking about.

Ok then...let's try this:

Let's go to Tokyo: "Where are you from?' they ask..."Houston", you answer. "AHHHH", they reply. "Houston! The eagle has landed!!!"

Not, "Third Coast, the eagle has landed."

Not, "SEatex, the eagle has landed."

Not even, "Webster, the eagle has landed."

I just waisted 90 seconds typing this. 90 seconds I'll never get back.

Let's just revel in what we have-which is pretty damn great!

B)

I guess the value of trying to "brand" a metro area depends on the context in which it would be used. For example, I like "Chicagoland", but I doubt many people outside of Chicago ever use the term. Within Chicago I've seen it used in things like ads ("Visit your Chicagoland Chevy dealer!) and weather and traffic reports ("It's going to be cold tonight in Chicagoland, so button up!"). In the same kind of uses, it seems most other metro areas use some kind of geographic description, such as "Visit your central Indiana Chevy dealer" rather than specify Indianapolis. Offhand it seems like DFW has had the most luck branding the area with "Metroplex", but I wonder how widely that is used other than for marketing purposes.

In Houston, something like "H-town" obviously refers to the city name only and not the metro area, but it of course has more name recognition for external marketing purposes, like those silly "Expect the Unexpected" type campaigns. For purely local uses, such as Chicagoland, something like Third Coast could work ("Visit your Third Coast Chevy dealer!") but I don't think you could expect it to pick up much external brand value.

Houstonshire?

Housturama?

Circle Crescent Circle Circle H? (referring to the Grand Parkway, HW6/1960, BW8, 610, and downtown) :lol:

Htex?

Energy City?

Archived