Shepherd Dr. And Durham Dr. Reconstruction

In the video, Abby Kamin says that the developer of the new Target on Shep is threatening to pull out if the project is delayed.  Whitmire says something about the redevelopment of the Sears property in GOOF, which is not part of the redesign.  

Going from 11 ft lanes to 10.5 lanes would seem on the surface like a reasonable compromise, but it is really a huge waste of money just so Whitmire doesn't have to admit that he was wrong.  The lanes on the northern segment are already 10.5 feet.  Redesigning 1.5 miles of road to make lanes six inches wider is a massive waste of money just so the mayor can have his flex moment over new urbanism.  Not a single motorist in the history of Houston has ever slowed down even a fraction of a MPH because the roadway narrowed by 6 inches.  I would venture to say that the average driver would not even be able to tell the difference between 11 ft and 10.5 ft lanes.  The money that will have to be spent on getting new designs and engineering and time lost to go back to the drawing board just so the mayor can stick his fingers into a shovel ready project that had no opposition is money that could go to build sidewalks in Denver Harbor.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, s3mh said:

In the video, Abby Kamin says that the developer of the new Target on Shep is threatening to pull out if the project is delayed.  Whitmire says something about the redevelopment of the Sears property in GOOF, which is not part of the redesign.  

Going from 11 ft lanes to 10.5 lanes would seem on the surface like a reasonable compromise, but it is really a huge waste of money just so Whitmire doesn't have to admit that he was wrong.  The lanes on the northern segment are already 10.5 feet.  Redesigning 1.5 miles of road to make lanes six inches wider is a massive waste of money just so the mayor can have his flex moment over new urbanism.  Not a single motorist in the history of Houston has ever slowed down even a fraction of a MPH because the roadway narrowed by 6 inches.  I would venture to say that the average driver would not even be able to tell the difference between 11 ft and 10.5 ft lanes.  The money that will have to be spent on getting new designs and engineering and time lost to go back to the drawing board just so the mayor can stick his fingers into a shovel ready project that had no opposition is money that could go to build sidewalks in Denver Harbor.  

it represents a ~5% difference.

go through a doorway that is 36" wide and then go through a doorway that is 34" wide. one of them is going to just feel easier to go through. you can't really tell there's a difference, but it's there and you do feel it, and you are going to take more care when you are going through the 34" doorway.

same in a car. with 132" wide lanes vs 126" wide lanes.

the brain is a kooky thing.

6 hours ago, texan said:

Evidently Whitmire conceded to 3 lanes but now is holding firm they cannot be reduced in width. Keep up the pressure on all of these projects, it's working! In fact, turn up the pressure for 11th, Montrose, and the coming fight for Telephone.

And thanks to @AustrianInHOU on X for posting.

Does anyone have the rest of this video? What else is said?

4 minutes ago, Triton said:

I think people are misinterpreting the mayor's comments.   He didn't offer a compromise based on everything I've heard and read...

49 minutes ago, samagon said:

it represents a ~5% difference.

go through a doorway that is 36" wide and then go through a doorway that is 34" wide. one of them is going to just feel easier to go through. you can't really tell there's a difference, but it's there and you do feel it, and you are going to take more care when you are going through the 34" doorway.

same in a car. with 132" wide lanes vs 126" wide lanes.

the brain is a kooky thing.

I drive on Allen Parkway everyday.  It is proof that there is no such thing as people driving slower due to lane width.  

And the speed limit on Shepherd is 35 mph.  Even if there is such a thing as narrow lane syndrome that causes people to drive slower when a lane is 6 inches more narrow, is it really going to make any measurable difference on a 1.5 mile stretch of road where people are already supposed to be driving slowly?  And if it actually did get people to drive slower, wouldn't they just end up go from driving 40-45 mph as everyone does on Shep to closer to the speed limit? And wouldn't that be a good thing on a street where there is a cross street about every 200 m and there are accidents every day?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Triton said:

You can find the video at houstontx.new.swagit.com

The exchange is at the very end of the council meeting.  What Whitmire said about 3 lanes has totally been taken out of context (shocker!).  He is not compromising.  In fact he said the exact opposite "there is not going to be much of  a debate.  I've been very clear."

Whitmire said he met with the TIRZ last Friday and they are willing to make modifications to "protect the mobility of Durham and Shepherd."

He's not budging on this... don't be deluded.  He reiterated that there are "special interests" pushing this...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, samagon said:

this is good news, not great, lane width is one of the things that encourages the speed that drivers choose to go. drivers naturally want to drive slower when the lanes are more narrow, and they want to driver faster when the lanes are wider.

but then, just having a more narrow road overall will help too.

Given the level of separation for bikes and pedestrians, I'll take the wide lanes 100 times out of 100.

On 5/22/2024 at 5:16 AM, TX3G4R said:

Why did we vote for this guy?! I regret voting for him and getting everyone I know to vote for him. Now investors are threatening to pull out? I really hope target doesn’t pull out because this side of town needed one. He really wants to take Houston back to the 60’s and 70’s where it’s all parking lots and ugly strip malls. NO THANKS!!! 

Me too. He tricked us. I will do everything to prevent him from winning again. He needs to be recalled.

• Like 5

Not trying to start a political feud here but Whitmire's opponent wasn't much better. Sheila Jackson did have a way better outlook on public transportation but her other views were quite divisive, regionally and nationally. The people of Houston did not have great choices for mayor this time around. I wish Turner could have ran for another term.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't know that the issue was her views so much as her interpersonal reputation. She treats people absolutely horribly and that's the last thing you want in a mayor.

Whitmire isn't turning out much better in that regard either though. 

17 hours ago, Nate_56 said:

Not trying to start a political feud here but Whitmire's opponent wasn't much better. Sheila Jackson did have a way better outlook on public transportation but her other views were quite divisive, regionally and nationally. The people of Houston did not have great choices for mayor this time around. I wish Turner could have ran for another term.

If she'd won, I'm not sure how long she'd be able to serve given her current health. She's made fewer public appearances lately. I saw her last week at Rev. Bill Lawson's funeral and she's lost quite a bit of weight, she had to walk with assistance, her voice was noticeably weak, and I noticed a tremor while she held a microphone. 

• Like 2

Just got this email from MHRA. Has the freeze been lifted?

d16fd2b2-45c4-8910-8bc1-643893a5af54.jpe

The Memorial Heights Redevelopment Authority (MHRA) expresses gratitude and support for Mayor Whitmire's decision to proceed with Phase 2 of the Shepherd Durham Reconstruction Project. We appreciate the administration's willingness to work with MHRA to address concerns and to maintain the project's benefits and grant funding.

The Shepherd Durham project promises significant benefits for a transportation corridor that has not seen any attention since the 1960s. Upgraded storm sewers will address issues caused by undersized and failing lines, while new water and wastewater utilities will ensure reliable service. Modern sidewalks, dedicated bicycle lanes, and improved intersection design will significantly reduce accidents and improve accessibility and mobility for all users. This investment also supports economic growth by facilitating commercial development in the corridor.

We thank Mayor Whitmire for recognizing the importance of this project and for his dedication to addressing our city's infrastructure needs. MHRA looks forward to continued collaboration with the mayor's office, the Houston Public Works Department, and all stakeholders as we move forward to deliver critical improvements efficiently and effectively.

For weekly construction updates, visit www.shepherddurham.com.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A Heights road project paused after Mayor John Whitmire raised concerns about the loss of lanes for drivers is back on pace, after what officials called a compromise to some design changes.

Whitmire’s office said in a statement that the compromise “preserves the standard widths of general-purpose lanes on Shepherd and Durham, and the number and width of these lanes for two blocks of 11th Street.”

The compromise reduces the number of lanes on Shepherd and Durham from four to three, but preserves some left turn lanes “strategically included,” where a review of traffic data shows they can improve movement in the area.

Gafrick said city and TIRZ officials “are pushing” to keep the start of construction in late 2024 or 2025.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/shepherd-durham-whitmire-bike-safety-19495316.php

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Whitmire's beef with the TIRZ has been that they are run by out of touch residents of River Oaks who know nothing about the area they are responsible for and are not responsive to what the community really wants.  But the process for the Shep improvements was very open to the public with detailed designs posted online and lots of chances for community input.  Then, when Whitmire decided that it would be a good idea to completely screw up a shovel ready project, changes were made behind closed doors with no chance for the community to see what is going on.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Based on the improved traffic information provided by the INRIX Origin/Destination data and our discussions with Mayor Whitmire, we have updated our plans to better serve the needs of the community. Key changes to the project include:

• Shepherd and Durham Drives: The plans will now include three, 11-foot through lanes on both Shepherd and Durham drives, replacing the current design of three lanes of eleven, ten and eleven feet wide.
  • 11th Street: The updated plans will retain two through lanes in each direction between Shepherd and Durham, significantly enhancing the level of service at this critical intersection by nearly 50%. Additionally, 11th Street will transition to one lane in each direction at Dorothy.

The TIRZ will conduct an additional traffic signal analysis 6-12 months after the project’s completion and will provide this analysis to the City to ensure the best optimization for final traffic signal adjustments.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 9:48 AM, JLWM8609 said:

If she'd won, I'm not sure how long she'd be able to serve given her current health. She's made fewer public appearances lately. I saw her last week at Rev. Bill Lawson's funeral and she's lost quite a bit of weight, she had to walk with assistance, her voice was noticeably weak, and I noticed a tremor while she held a microphone. 

You were prescient.

Edited by __nevii
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, s3mh said:

Whitmire's beef with the TIRZ has been that they are run by out of touch residents of River Oaks who know nothing about the area they are responsible for and are not responsive to what the community really wants.  But the process for the Shep improvements was very open to the public with detailed designs posted online and lots of chances for community input.  Then, when Whitmire decided that it would be a good idea to completely screw up a shovel ready project, changes were made behind closed doors with no chance for the community to see what is going on.  

Gaslight

Obstruct

Project

In this case, though, a win is a win. Some minor quibbles (especially with Marlene's comments about the rationale for road widths), but good to see the project continuing.

Edited by __nevii
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/5/2024 at 1:33 PM, 004n063 said:

Whitmire is good at making it sound like he's here for equitability, but until I see his administration put out a proposal that prioritizes something other than car speed and throughput, I'll remain skeptical.

Equitability among neighborhoods.  By all accounts he will not prioritize bike lanes over other types of infrastructure, and pedestrian sidewalks will be max six-feet wide. Just being honest…

2 minutes ago, hbg.50 said:

Equitability among neighborhoods.

So what Whitmire and this new administration is actually doing is focused on equality (not equity). Basically, every neighborhood should get 6' sidewalks because that is what the current administration believes is equal and fair. In theory, sounds great, but there is a huge issue that arises when you treat local infrastructure with an equal mindset, which is very different than an equitable mindset.

Under the equality mindset equal = same. This means that each individual or group of people is given the same resources or opportunities. In Whitmire's case, when he says everyone will get 6' sidewalks, he is approaching the issue from an equality standpoint. This works fine, if (big emphasis here) everyone starts from the same place.  With infrastructure and neighborhoods, unless you're building a brand-new city, that is impossible. A city is different across the board and each neighborhood has their own particular needs and wants. This is why we should approach infrastructure ideas on an equitable approach

With an equitable approach, it makes sure that a neighborhood gets access to the opportunities that are the best fit for that one neighborhood with the overall goal to reach an equal outcome. A neighborhood in fifth ward has very different infrastructure and travel needs than the Heights. An equitable approach would acknowledge that there are different needs for these communities and that fifth ward would benefit from 6' sidewalks on a road that might have no sidewalks, and the heights would benefit from a shared use path that is 10-12' wide because there is a need for that specific infrastructure for that specific neighborhood. Ultimately, 6' sidewalks in fifth ward and the Shepherd/Durham roadway improvement would both result in enhanced pedestrian safety and mobility for the citizens (the equal outcome) while also addressing the certain mobility challenges to those two separate communities. 

And it is not only sidewalks or roads that you can see this play out under this new administration. Comments have been made about METRONext the same way. The equality approach is saying "well, the Uptown BRT line is not working so that means it wont work anywhere in Houston". Totally missing the idea that the Uptown area has very different travel needs than fifth ward, which would actually benefit from the University BRT on Lockwood. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, hbg.50 said:

Equitability among neighborhoods.  By all accounts he will not prioritize bike lanes over other types of infrastructure, and pedestrian sidewalks will be max six-feet wide. Just being honest…

Even that is a phony cover, as far as I can tell.

For the rest of his term, let's see how many times he uses equity to justify denying something ("how can we justify X project when Y neighborhood doesn't have Z?"), and compare that to how many times he uses it to justify providing something ("they already have this in neighborhood A, so we should make sure neighborhood B has it as well").

I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, j.33 said:

And it is not only sidewalks or roads that you can see this play out under this new administration. Comments have been made about METRONext the same way. The equality approach is saying "well, the Uptown BRT line is not working so that means it wont work anywhere in Houston". Totally missing the idea that the Uptown area has very different travel needs than fifth ward, which would actually benefit from the University BRT on Lockwood.

I agree with your overall point, but I actually think the 5th Ward segment is more of a long-term investment (and equitability) segment than a present or short-term projected demand segment.

If the project isn't axed, I would expect the highest ridership stretches to be between Edloe and Wheeler TC and between Renwick/Fountain View and Westpark TC.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, j.33 said:

So what Whitmire and this new administration is actually doing is focused on equality (not equity). Basically, every neighborhood should get 6' sidewalks because that is what the current administration believes is equal and fair. In theory, sounds great, but there is a huge issue that arises when you treat local infrastructure with an equal mindset, which is very different than an equitable mindset.

Under the equality mindset equal = same. This means that each individual or group of people is given the same resources or opportunities. In Whitmire's case, when he says everyone will get 6' sidewalks, he is approaching the issue from an equality standpoint. This works fine, if (big emphasis here) everyone starts from the same place.  With infrastructure and neighborhoods, unless you're building a brand-new city, that is impossible. A city is different across the board and each neighborhood has their own particular needs and wants. This is why we should approach infrastructure ideas on an equitable approach

With an equitable approach, it makes sure that a neighborhood gets access to the opportunities that are the best fit for that one neighborhood with the overall goal to reach an equal outcome. A neighborhood in fifth ward has very different infrastructure and travel needs than the Heights. An equitable approach would acknowledge that there are different needs for these communities and that fifth ward would benefit from 6' sidewalks on a road that might have no sidewalks, and the heights would benefit from a shared use path that is 10-12' wide because there is a need for that specific infrastructure for that specific neighborhood. Ultimately, 6' sidewalks in fifth ward and the Shepherd/Durham roadway improvement would both result in enhanced pedestrian safety and mobility for the citizens (the equal outcome) while also addressing the certain mobility challenges to those two separate communities. 

I preface the question below by stating I'm not trying to start an argument, as I don't value arguing on this platform. Rather, I am hoping you'll extrapolate further so I can better understand. I also want to say I am not against Shep/Durham in any way.

Now, to the question.

Can you expand on the statement that 10- to 12-foot paths in the Heights and 6-footers in Fifth Ward provide equal outcomes for those areas? 

"Ultimately, 6' sidewalks in fifth ward and the Shepherd/Durham roadway improvement would both result in enhanced pedestrian safety and mobility for the citizens (the equal outcome) while also addressing the certain mobility challenges to those two separate communities."

I agree that 10- to 12-foot sidewalks in the Heights and 6-footers where there previously were none in the Fifth Ward are steps forward for both communities. But to say they provide equal outcomes is lost on me. Frankly, it strikes me as an attempt to explain why an area with more resources should continue to get more.

So the Heights, which has a high cycling and walking rate, but by surveys it's largely by choice rather than necessity, is more suitable for 10- to 12-foot sidewalks than Fifth Ward? Fifth Ward, and the greater East End at large, has one of the H-GAC region's highest transit insecurity rates.

Research shows between 30 and 50 percent of adults in the East End don't have the financial security to afford the total costs of cars. This shouldn't be mistaken for them wanting to walk or ride over driving cars. Rather, they may very well desire to drive, but simply can't fit it into their budget. As such, there is a very high forced usage of walking, cycling, and public transit as a primary transport mode by the nature of it being what they can afford. 

Whereas a Heights person walking or riding by choice could get in the car if they so desired.

If Fifth Ward folks are walking and cycling by necessity, it would seem to me they would see at least equal, if not greater value to a 10- to 12-foot path. I don't see the equal outcome in the slightest. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 1

I drove down Shepherd yesterday from 14th to 610 and noticed 2-3 huge car wash establishments which I found disappointing and ironic.  I guess you can't choose your neighbors, as they say...

• Like 1