Saudi Arabia Oil Turn & The COVID-19 Pandemic

MidCenturyMoldy

• 2 weeks later...

Halliburton lays off 1,000 employees at Houston HQ

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/05/06/halliburton-lays-off-1-000-employees-at-houston-hq.html

Halliburton Co. (NYSE: HAL) is laying off about 1,000 employees at its corporate headquarters in Houston.

The layoffs are effective immediately, a Halliburton spokesperson confirmed.

In a statement, the oil field services giant attributed the layoffs to "the unforeseeable, dramatic business downturn caused by the coronavirus and unprecedented commodity price decline."

The statement also notes that the "reductions are in addition to layoffs across the company’s global operations. These actions are difficult but necessary as we adjust our business to customers’ decreased activity."

This is the latest in a string of layoff announcements from Halliburton and other companies in the energy industry over recent months.

In March, the company announced that it was furloughing 3,500 workers from its Houston headquarters for 60 days to reduce costs. It later laid off more than 600 employees in Texas and Oklahoma, including 350 in Duncan, as well as 130 in Colorado.

• 3 weeks later...

Returning to the office on Monday.

The company has a face covering policy.  My N95 mask is dirty and too restrictive so I went to shop local today.  Went to Chloe Dao Boutique in the Village.

https://www.chloedao.com/

Bought two types of face coverings.  100% cotton, and a premium Neoprene version.  Overpaid, of course, but at least I'm supporting local.   The face coverings are hand-made in The Heights.

Think we will be wearing face coverings for a while? Probably 6 months to a year?  Might as well get something comfortable.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 9:00 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Think we will be wearing face coverings for a while? Probably 6 months to a year?  Might as well get something comfortable.

common sense tells me the answer here should be yes. 

we've been seeing articles in most scientific publications, and lots of 'left leaning' media that face masks worn by everyone help slow the spread of the virus.

now we're seeing articles even on the 'right leaning' media saying they help slow the spread.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/researchers-urge-widespread-wearing-face-masks-slow-coronavirus-pandemic

I hope the anti-mask league can get over themselves and wear masks. after all, the women's anti-shirt league, and the men's anti-pant league has had to conform and wear shirts and pants because of laws based on 'common decency' the least the anti mask league can do is wear masks for the safety of society.

do these people also not wear seat belts in their cars?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, samagon said:

I hope the anti-mask league can get over themselves and wear masks. after all, the women's anti-shirt league, and the men's anti-pant league has had to conform and wear shirts and pants because of laws based on 'common decency' the least the anti mask league can do is wear masks for the safety of society.

do these people also not wear seat belts in their cars?

I'm old enough to remember hearing people claim they never wore a seat belt because if they had a collision, it was better to be thrown clear of the vehicle. 

Assuming they lived long enough to reproduce, their descendants are undoubtedly charter members of the "anti-mask league" now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 11:03 AM, Highrise Tower said:

My office is about to do temperature checks at the door. Anything 100 or greater you’ll be sent home. 

A little scary, surreal, but it’s for our safety.

Temperature checks might be the normal going forward. Seems like things are getting worse.

They are getting worse. Last time I went to Montrose HEB, less than a quarter of people were wearing masks, I didn't see them spray down the cart handles, and some of the employees had their masks below their noses lol. People don't GAF anymore.

Martin's Gentlemen's Salon is where I occasionally go for haircuts. They temperature checked me at the door right at 100. Scared me a bit, but my huge pale forehead was absorbing the direct sunlight on my stroll across the parking lot. They re-checked and I was down to 96.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Highrise Tower said:

My office is about to do temperature checks at the door. Anything 100 or greater you’ll be sent home. 

A little scary, surreal, but it’s for our safety.

Temperature checks might be the normal going forward. Seems like things are getting worse.

My office just started temperature checks today also - we already have about 95% of employees working from home though...just a skeleton crew in the office

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2020 at 8:30 PM, hindesky said:

The refinery I work at has been doing temperature checks since mid March, initially it was with hand held laser, they switched to thermal imagers about 6 weeks ago. 100.4 or more will prevent you from entering.

I went to Mexico. they had thermal imaging to get through customs, then another thermal imaging to get through security.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

H-E-B will be a distribution site when a COVID-19 vaccine is ready

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/HEB-COVID-vaccine-distribution-site-grocery-store-15773159.php

H-E-B pharmacies will be one of the many distribution sites in Houston when a COVID-19 vaccine is released to the public, the grocery chain said.

While a set date for the vaccine release hasn't been announced, all H-E-B pharmacies are ready to administer it when it becomes available, said H-E-B director of public affairs Dya Campos.

6 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Randall's will have it, too  https://www.randalls.com/pharmacy/covid-19.html

I suspect most of the chain and grocery store pharmacies will be getting it.  Wouldn't be surprised if some major employers (thinking Exxon, etc here) with large campuses get some, too. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 11:23 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Once those 4 lots in the background are developed, our skyline is going to be pretty damn big. I know Skanska already showed plans for the two adjacent lots. Every time I drive down 59 I'm amazed just how dense and large it's becoming. 

$90 oil, folks! I imagine Skanska is already pushing forward on planning for these.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 8:04 PM, toxtethogrady said:

With Exxon Mobil moving down here, it's not too far-fetched to imagine Chevron being interested in Five Allen as a new corporate home. Get the two biggest oil companies in the US here in less than a year, and that could start a gold rush.

52 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

$90 oil, folks! I imagine Skanska is already pushing forward on planning for these.

I'm interested--do CRE professionals really believe this?

I mean the whole idea of (and entirely unironically, mind you) using Exxon's announcement as potential fodder for the Chevron skyscraper when Exxon just returned half a million square feet in The Woodlands in October?  I mean, c'mon.  It's not like they woke up last week and were all, "Hey, now that I think about it, let's move the HQ to Houston."  Needless to say, I don't see the logic.

Sure it'll help the market, but there's plenty of supply, and I don't see any sort of consensus view that this price increase is sustainable and has led to any increase (yet) in E&P spending.

Of course I'm not in either industry so what do I know?

Edited by mattyt36