I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

1 hour ago, Big E said:

While I feel for the people losing their homes, I in no way believe that that's enough to stop or delay this project further. Most of the losses are rental apartments (where the renters can just rent somewhere else), housing projects that will be torn down anyway, and the types of freeway focused business nobody will miss (your gas stations, car lots, lower end hotels and motels, restaurants, big box stores, etc.).

While you claim to "feel for" people whose houses will be demolished, bear in mind that at least they will be compensated for their loss. Why the dismissive attitude towards renters? Are they not worthy of your attention?
The reality is that many renters live for years, even decades, at the same location. Often, landlords don't raise the rent on long-term tenants. They form bonds with their neighbors. The fact that they rent does not mean that this is not their home.
The increase in rents in Houston is accelerating, and it's increasingly difficult for low income people to find affordable housing. Further, the costs of physically packing and moving possessions, paying new security deposits, and transferring utilities can easily wipe out or exceed a renter's savings. 
Likewise, lower end hotels and motels exist because there's a market for them - but it's unlikely that someone is going to construct a new building to cater to people with a modest budget. 
The small business owners who may have spent years building up a clientele will find themselves starting again from zero. 
I believe that the people I mention deserve to be treated with dignity and not ignored, dismissed, or otherwise devalued. 
To toss them aside is the opposite of "for the greater good". It smacks of elitism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Why the dismissive attitude towards renters? Are they not worthy of your attention?

Because they can rent somewhere else? There are plenty of places to rent in the city. This isn't San Francisco where there is a lack of places to go. And being renters, they won't experience the same level of loss as landowners and homeowners. Thus I have much more sympathy for the homeowners (taking into account that they will actually get compensation), than renters.

The increase in rents in Houston is accelerating, and it's increasingly difficult for low income people to find affordable housing.

The increase in rents in Houston is nothing compared to the insanity that is other coastal cities, and rental prices are still low because of the rising housing supply. These renters may not find a place in their preferred area, but they will find a place.

Further, the costs of physically packing and moving possessions, paying new security deposits, and transferring utilities can easily wipe out or exceed a renter's savings.

The cost is not something I've overlooked, but the actual losses are minimal. And moving, while difficult and expensive, is not prohibitively so. In any case, this is something that's been in the works for years; the onus is on the renters to prepare ahead of time for this situation.

Likewise, lower end hotels and motels exist because there's a market for them - but it's unlikely that someone is going to construct a new building to cater to people with a modest budget. 
The small business owners who may have spent years building up a clientele will find themselves starting again from zero. 

Most of these businesses are not your classic small businesses, but major chains. They are franchised, and their owners probably have numerous other locations that they franchise and are millionaires. And I guarantee you, that when the freeway is rebuilt, newer, probably better businesses will come to replace them, because freeway frontage is prime real-estate. While you may feel for the owner of the Chevron station, fact is its one of a million, and easily replaceable. And one more thing; I guarantee you that all of these business owners are well aware of the plans for this freeway. In fact, most of them are probably counting on it, so they can sell the land then move in to the newly cleared areas that become the freeway's new frontage and make a killing.

I believe that the people I mention deserve to be treated with dignity and not ignored, dismissed, or otherwise devalued.

I agree, but we also have to be objective and logical here. Fact is, these businesses are nothing special and will be replaced before the project is even done. And, if they were being destroyed for, say, a new office building or apartment building, nobody on HAIF would shed a tear for them. In fact we'd be cheering, because nobody here really cares for this kind of car based development. Most probably want to see it gone. They just don't want to see gone for a freeway. Anything but that! Have you been along I-45 lately? I was just going down that freeway last week. It looks awful, and this is one of the main entrances into the city. Low rent business, old stores, strip malls, loan shops, car lots, etc. When people say Houston is ugly, I have a feeling its this stretch of I-45 that everyone is talking about, because it looks terrible. And the sign blight is something to behold. No other freeway looks this bad. The Katy may have looked this bad in the past, but its expansion has taken car of that. The owners of these businesses will not be set back on iota; they'll rebuild like nothing ever happened. The people who work in these places will find new jobs since there are plenty of openings (or not; a lot of people are leaving the workforce these days), and we'll look back and say, "Man, why did anyone even oppose this?"

Edited by Big E
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

While you claim to "feel for" people whose houses will be demolished, bear in mind that at least they will be compensated for their loss. Why the dismissive attitude towards renters? Are they not worthy of your attention?
The reality is that many renters live for years, even decades, at the same location. Often, landlords don't raise the rent on long-term tenants. They form bonds with their neighbors. The fact that they rent does not mean that this is not their home.
The increase in rents in Houston is accelerating, and it's increasingly difficult for low income people to find affordable housing. Further, the costs of physically packing and moving possessions, paying new security deposits, and transferring utilities can easily wipe out or exceed a renter's savings. 
To toss them aside is the opposite of "for the greater good". It smacks of elitism. 

I hear you dbigtex56, if you take a step back and remove the obvious and absolutely appropriate empathetic response, I'm not sure what the federal regulatory provisions to compensate people who don't have a real estate interest (i.e., in own the place).  

From what I can recall federal law says renters are entitled to moving expenses and the assurance of "like" accommodations, and perhaps even a subsidy for a period of time if the "like" accommodations cost more.  Can anyone confirm?

If that's the case, it seems as "adequate" as the compensation for property owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Big E said:

I wouldn't have been old enough to care at that time, but had I been? Yeah, because its stupid that one neighborhood can stop a major regional project. 

I was talking about the current reconstruction project they are working on now for the 59/610 interchange. TXDoT wanted to take land on the NE corner of the intersection, but were denied. of course, the only proof I have is a comment in the thread. so take it for what it is.

as for any previous projects to make 610 west loop better, I'm not aware that they acquired any land for those projects either. is it because TXDoT can't afford to buy this expensive land, or is it because they get cow-towed around by the rich people in the area who influence their decisions?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

In re the question of relocation assistance, I was able to find something from the FAA for renters displaced due to airport land acquisition.  I'm confident the same standards apply to highways.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC-150-5100-17-Change-7-Land-Acquisition.pdf

See in particular Chapter 4 on Relocation Assistance and form of notice on page 4-1/66.  This confirms the eligibility for moving expenses, a replacement housing payment for up to 42 months (if you rent elsewhere) to cover any increase in rent or utilities in the new dwelling, up to a cap of $7,200, or the option to apply this amount in a lump sum as a down payment on acquiring a house.

Chapter 6 gets into the Replacement Housing Payment concept; in short this is where the "like" or "comparable" standard comes from.

Seems like there may be an opportunity for improvement (e.g., some sort of "inconvenience payment" or increase the $7,200 cap), but renters do get something.  (I wonder where the 42 months comes from.)

Dear Mr. Tenant:

As you may be aware, the Airport Authority is currently acquiring property needed for the proposed expansion of the Orville Municipal Airport and has initiated negotiations to acquire the property you currently are renting. As a tenant-occupant for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the initiation of negotiations for the property, you are eligible for the certain relocation assistance payments to assist your relocation to a replacement property. Your eligible payment amounts have been determined in accordance with the Airport Authority’s approved relocation assistance program for federally assisted projects. Please refer to the enclosed brochure entitled, “Land Acquisition for Public Airports”, for general information on the airport’s relocation assistance process. Your payment eligibility is estimated as follows.

1. Moving expenses. Actual reasonable and necessary expenses for moving personal property, accomplished by a commercial mover and supported by receipted bills, or a fixed payment of $ , based on a schedule of payments for the number of rooms of personal property you are required to move.

2. Replacement Housing Payment. A survey and study of the property available to replace your dwelling finds that you are eligible for a maximum replacement housing payment of $ , provided you lease and occupy a decent, safe, and sanitary dwelling with monthly rent and utilities of $ ,. or more. This replacement housing payment eligibility is based on a property located at (address) which is available for rent at $ , and estimated monthly utility cost of $ . The amount of the replacement housing payment is the additional cost of a comparable replacement dwelling for a period of 42 months following your displacement from the acquired property.

3. Downpayment Option. You may, at your option, apply your replacement housing payment eligibility as a “required” downpayment for the purchase of a replacement dwelling. If the amount of the required downpayment is greater than the rental replacement housing payment eligibility above, the higher amount will be paid not to exceed $7,200.00. The “required downpayment” means the downpayment ordinarily required to obtain conventional loan financing on the decent, safe, and sanitary dwelling you actually purchase. The full amount of the downpayment must be applied to the purchase price of the dwelling and related incidental expenses.

RELOCATION CONTACT NAME is the Airport Authority’s representative assigned as needed to assist your relocation. RELOCATION CONTACT NAME will further explain the relocation process and answer your questions concerning your relocation payments. In order for you to maintain eligibility for subsequent relocation payments, please advise and consult with Ms. Wilson before committing to or taking any action regarding purchasing a replacement property or moving your personal property.

At this time it is necessary to advise you that you will have at least 90 days to remain on your property. At a later date, and after the Airport Authority has acquired the property, you will be provided a 30 day notice citing a specific date for you to vacate the acquired property. However, please be advised that prior to the Airport Authority acquisition of your leased property you remain obligated to your present lease for payment of rent and other terms and conditions of your lease. NAME phone number is given below, and please do not hesitate to contact him/her should have any questions or concerns regarding your potential relocation.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 2

I saw tenants moving out from the Lofts at Ballpark apartments several times. I rode by once and stopped to talk with one woman and she confirmed they were asked to move out but got some assistance to help move. She said it wasn't enough though. This was the building next to 59/69 feeder.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, hindesky said:

I saw tenants moving out from the Lofts at Ballpark apartments several times. I rode by once and stopped to talk with one woman and she confirmed they were asked to move out but got some assistance to help move. She said it wasn't enough though. This was the building next to 59/69 feeder.

Seems strange that that would be happening now, when the project is on “hold” for anything but design. Bizarre.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

CBE26BD8-A6D6-4929-9F64-7CFB4CE9E65E.jpeg

Better stop it all, then, due to what appears to be bribery by a bunch of grifters. I know if someone came up to me and offered me a check to go testify at a public meeting my first reaction would be, “This seems totally legit.” Remind me to go bribe someone to make public testimony if there’s ever anything I disagree with, if that’s a legitimate way to stop something. Easy peasy!  I mean, seriously.  In the words of the President, “C’mon man!”

I’m sorry but Stop IH-45 group seems really screwed up. Again, I’d love to know their “story,” especially who is paying their bills. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was the Republican Party of Harris County with posts like that, for very obvious reasons. 

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, samagon said:

as for any previous projects to make 610 west loop better, I'm not aware that they acquired any land for those projects either. is it because TXDoT can't afford to buy this expensive land, or is it because they get cow-towed around by the rich people in the area who influence their decisions?

I already told you why. Its because they ran into massive opposition from urban interests, as well as pro-park interests who opposed even taking a small sliver of land from Memorial Park, even though the land lost would have been negligible compared to the total size of the park.

15 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Seems strange that that would be happening now.

Yeah. Land acquisition is currently frozen, and I doubt those apartments were bought by the state prior to the freeze. Its weird that they would be asked to move at all, let alone get any assistance.

5 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

CBE26BD8-A6D6-4929-9F64-7CFB4CE9E65E.jpeg

Aside from the fact that this is one woman's testimony, thus can must be met with some skepticism without additional proof this happened, the fact is "Go 1-45" is a private group, and has no bearing on the project itself. So trying to lump this all in with the project as if the it was TxDOT itself that paid this woman to lie, is asinine at best, and targeted character assassination at worst. Even better, this seems to be coming from an anti-NHHIP group, who would be just as suspect as "Go I-45". In other words, take this with a grain of salt unless some official investigation finds anything. They probably won't because there is probably no proof of this accusation. Also, I'd like to know if she did take the money and give fake support. I'm willing to bet she did, which would tell me that her voice is "for sale" to whoever is willing to pay her.

1 minute ago, mattyt36 said:

Maybe others will have better luck than I, but I can’t find a Twitter account @mynameisjasmineg.

I’m not surprised.

Neither am I.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:09 PM, Big E said:

It wasn't just rich people though. Many of the exact same urban interests, including the infamous Sheila Jackson-Lee, opposed 610's expansion and killed that project. Saying it was just "rich white people" who opposed it is simply not true. And 610 has suffered for it ever since.

Who's to say 610 wouldn't still be suffering if they'd gone ahead with the project? The project was killed in the early 90s. Had 610 been expanded as planned in the mid 90s, its not unreasonable to think it would be congested again 25 years later in 2021. Just look at the Katy Freeway. 

for those curious: https://www.instagram.com/manyeahphilomena/

@names are used by more than twitter, even HAIF uses them! eg @Big E 

the easiest way to find someone with an @name is to just search the name on google, it usually is pretty good at finding the appropriate social media site with the specific name.

great attempt at delegitimizing this person's feedback though!

Edited by samagon

1 hour ago, samagon said:

for those curious: https://www.instagram.com/manyeahphilomena/

@names are used by more than twitter, even HAIF uses them! eg @Big E 

the easiest way to find someone with an @name is to just search the name on google, it usually is pretty good at finding the appropriate social media site with the specific name.

great attempt at delegitimizing this person's feedback though!

Uh huh.  Because @manyeahphilomena is exactly like @mynameisjasmineg.  But, admittedly, I don't do the social media, so maybe I'm missing something.

Jasmine or Philomena can "feedback" all they want.

But, from the files of further political malpractice, if that story is true, and the incident is indeed a criminal offense, I hope the first thing Stop IH 45 did was to help Jasmine or Philomena (Jasmena?) find appropriate legal help versus wagging a finger (SHAME!) with very loaded words and implications on social media.  Wouldn't you agree?  (Can someone provide a link to the original post anyway?)

NHHIP = bribery by who knows what = TTC testimony = abusive home situation = hospitalized = shame on you TxDOT!    

Yeah, that's definitely a group of responsible and serious people there.  Reminds me of a couple people, now that I think about it.  Maybe if we built rail none of this would happen.

Regardless, hopefully there aren't more Jasmenas out there.

And here I thought I had a long week. 

10 hours ago, Big E said:

I already told you why. Its because they ran into massive opposition from urban interests, as well as pro-park interests who opposed even taking a small sliver of land from Memorial Park, even though the land lost would have been negligible compared to the total size of the park.

@Big E obviously the real reason this project didn't proceed is because it didn't cater to the booming Conroe-Galveston commuter market, which, remember, is what the NHHIP is all about.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Seems strange that that would be happening now, when the project is on “hold” for anything but design. Bizarre.

I was under the impression that Clayton Homes was being shut down regardless of the IH-45 project.  Opponents of the project have been counting all the Clayton Homes units (even those already destroyed by Harvey) in their count of the number of residences being displaced by the project, but as best as I can tell, Clayton Homes is being replaced no matter what happens with IH-45.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Because it's not Twitter, it's Instagram lol So I guess that throws her entire story out the window

Thank you!  Much more helpful than @samagon and his phalse phfriend Philomena.

At least we found her!

https://www.instagram.com/mynameisjasmineg/

And it looks like she has even been in USA Today.  Good for her!

Jobs: What steps should women take to reenter the labor force? (usatoday.com)

22 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

Who's to say 610 wouldn't still be suffering if they'd gone ahead with the project? The project was killed in the early 90s. Had 610 been expanded as planned in the mid 90s, its not unreasonable to think it would be congested again 25 years later in 2021. Just look at the Katy Freeway. 

The Katy Freeway is nothing like it used to be. The old freeway was a mess damn near 24 hours a day. One can actually drive on Katy Freeway and get somewhere now, including the off hours and weekends, and its only full of traffic during rush hour. West 610 damn near unusable most of the day and to be avoided at all costs, whether its Rush Hour or not. Even as I type, right now, its 11:09 on a Friday night, and 610 south bound is backed up to full stoppage. Its literally the only freeway that's backed up.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 5

and I'm sure many people will huff and puff about this, but if the 610 expansion of the 90s had gone ahead, would the traffic through downtown be as bad today as it is today? 

as @Big E mentions, 610 is to be avoided at all costs, even if that means going up 59 and onto 45 in downtown to get somewhere that you might take 610 to get to.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, samagon said:

and I'm sure many people will huff and puff about this, but if the 610 expansion of the 90s had gone ahead, would the traffic through downtown be as bad today as it is today? 

as @Big E mentions, 610 is to be avoided at all costs, even if that means going up 59 and onto 45 in downtown to get somewhere that you might take 610 to get to.

Who knows?  Why don't you tell us, samagon?  You've got a long history of "putting things out there" (straw men, usually), but never really engaging.  So feel free to give us your view as a starting point and explicitly tell us what you think the implications are for the NHHIP.

As indicated, the West Loop and Katy Freeway are like night and day.  The West Loop is awful.  The Katy Freeway was too in the 90s, it was a nightmare.  There is traffic on it now at rush hour, but its been decades since I've worried about avoiding it, and I think in the whole history of "the era where we had pocket GPS" I've never once felt the urge to look up how traffic is because I was getting on the Katy Freeway between the Loop and the Beltway (definitely done it on all freeways if I plan to go downtown or through it though, including 10).

The problem with the West Loop is that there is generally no other choice of road to take.  Someone going north or south in the city has to cross Buffalo Bayou.  The West Loop is the only crossing between Shepherd and Chimney Rock, which are 4-5 miles apart.  In the 11 miles between the bridges at I45 and Beltway 8 there are only 11 crossings. 3 of those are the freeways mentions, and of the rest, only Shepherd, Voss, and Gessner are actual major N/S options that you can use and get somewhere on.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, mollusk said:

Rebuilding the Southwest Freeway interchange just might have a little teensy bit to do with congestion on the West Loop, as well. :ph34r:

Oh trust me, it was just as bad before said construction and will be just as bad afterward (also, pretty sure most of the construction is done at this point, at least as far as lane closures and such are concerned; the South Loop-288 interchange has multiple exits that they were working on and several are outright closed now, and neither road was ever that bad)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big E said:

Oh trust me, it was just as bad before said construction and will be just as bad afterward (also, pretty sure most of the construction is done at this point, at least as far as lane closures and such are concerned; the South Loop-288 interchange has multiple exits that they were working on and several are outright closed now, and neither road was ever that bad)

It's (practically) only just begun.   Main lanes of 610 still need to be reelevated and realigned...It'll be the best part.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI. The Lofts at the Ballpark at 610 St. Emmanuel Street has already been obtained by TXDOT in condemnation proceedings. I would assume that other buildings and lots on the NW side of St. Emmanuel have also been obtained by TXDOT. 

I wonder what that means for - True Anomaly, Little Woodrows, Huynh, and COBOS (who just finished renovating). 

Apologies if this has already been mentioned previously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Eastdwntwn said:

Just FYI. The Lofts at the Ballpark at 610 St. Emmanuel Street has already been obtained by TXDOT in condemnation proceedings. I would assume that other buildings and lots on the NW side of St. Emmanuel have also been obtained by TXDOT. 

I wonder what that means for - True Anomaly, Little Woodrows, Huynh, and COBOS (who just finished renovating). 

Apologies if this has already been mentioned previously. 

Was it really condemnation proceedings, or was it just by negotiation?  (Interesting:  it appears they bought the entire complex, not just the part NW of St Emmanuel)

In any event, the acquisition of The Lofts at the Ballpark doesn't directly mean anything for True Anomaly, Little Woodrows, etc.  BUT of course the coming freeway project does mean that those properties will also eventually be acquired and those businesses will be relocated or otherwise compensated.

1 minute ago, Houston19514 said:

Was it really condemnation proceedings, or was it just by negotiation?  (Interesting:  it appears they bought the entire complex, not just the part NW of St Emmanuel)

In any event, the acquisition of The Lofts at the Ballpark doesn't directly mean anything for True Anomaly, Little Woodrows, etc.  BUT of course the coming freeway project does mean that those properties will also eventually be acquired and those businesses will be relocated or otherwise compensated.

I would rather have the businesses and forget the entire stupidity of burying 300 lanes of I-45 and 59. There is nothing at all wrong with the current alignment. Especially since no business ever really gets compensated fully. But that's just me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Not actually proceedings, just a negotiation.