San Jose Earthquakes Might Move To Houston

KimberlySayWhat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And sticking with the natural disaster theme, I assume they would change their name to the hurricanes...

I used to love going to see the Hurricanes( Houston's soccer team) back in the 80's at the Astrodome. I remember the stadium being so empty, you could practically sit on the bench with the team. :D

HoustonHurricane78.GIF

This is it Jones, I remember going to one of the games when I was around 8 years old. Houston started in the North American Soccer League in 1978. The Hurricane were the 1st place team in thier division in 1979 - their second year in the league, but they only had 6,000 fans in the Astrodome that season. 1980 was their last season and the league.

http://www.answers.com/topic/north-american-soccer-league

Nice quote from the article.

"We wouldn't have made this announcement at this point if we didn't think it was more than likely that Houston was the right place to go," Leiweke said.

And, not to start up this argument again, DJ, but they need to put the team in an attendance appropriate venue. That suggests a 20,000 to 30,000 seat site. You just can't will 70,000 people into a stadium, and as we found out in the Oilers last year at the Dome, 25,000 in a 60,000 seat stadium is very depressing. Much better to have the excitement of a sold out 20,000 seat stadium.

Nice quote from the article.

"We wouldn't have made this announcement at this point if we didn't think it was more than likely that Houston was the right place to go," Leiweke said.

And, not to start up this argument again, DJ, but they need to put the team in an attendance appropriate venue. That suggests a 20,000 to 30,000 seat site. You just can't will 70,000 people into a stadium, and as we found out in the Oilers last year at the Dome, 25,000 in a 60,000 seat stadium is very depressing. Much better to have the excitement of a sold out 20,000 seat stadium.

My only dispute to that is that throughout the league (MLS), most attendances are around that average (20,000-30,000), which does make sense. However, we really do not know how many HOUSTON MLS fans would show up if the marketing and enthusiasm were right.

I think it may be smarter now to have MLS start off in an already existing venue (Reliant Stadium, Rice Stadium, or my fav for now, Robertson Stadium) for the first two years. If they think they can attract 50,000 after that, what would be the point of having it in a high school venue? The only thing I'm worried about, to clarify, is if BEFORE the team moves to Houston, they already have a plan to play long-term in a high school stadium. I think THAT would suck.

Besides, they want the Houston market because they think we may make the biggest market spash in an MLS expansion.

I'm completely with you on Robertson Stadium. Good size, recently renovated. Great temporary home that is close to a major freeway. Depending on how attendance does there, a new stadium could be built to match attendance needs.

I'm still not too upset if HISD shares the cost to get a nice field for their kids...as long as it is not on a high school campus somewhere. And frankly, putting it at Delmar could help in redeveloping NW Mall. But, I'm not tied to that idea, either.

HoustonHurricane78.GIF

This is it Jones, I remember going to one of the games when I was around 8 years old. Houston started in the North American Soccer League in 1978. The Hurricane were the 1st place team in thier division in 1979 - their second year in the league, but they only had 6,000 fans in the Astrodome that season. 1980 was their last season and the league.

http://www.answers.com/topic/north-american-soccer-league

Well, I was one of those 6,000 fans, I think I saw probably most of the home games in the Dome back then. I am the same age as you toolman, soccer seemed exciting to me back then, but my destiny was to take me to college on a American style football scholarship instead. :DB)

my destiny was to take me to college on a American style football scholarship instead. :DB)

That is exactly why soccer never made it big here...because you can't get rich playing soccer. But now MLS is beginning to pay players million dollar contracts. I grew up playing soccer and played thoughout highschool while my other friends decided to play football, basketball, and baseball for a scholarship or possibly make it in the pros.

Soccer could be a true urban sport just like basketball in the US. It is very cheap to play and there are fields all over the place. You may see the younger generation becoming more involved once they start putting soccer players on commercials and marketing soccer better. I remember pro basketball was in trouble with the fan base until they started marketing, and look at what the right marketing did with NASCAR of all things.

That, and the fact that mothers all over the country would prefer their sons play soccer these days, make MLS a goal for alot of youths these days. I think a pro team could definately draw a crowd these days, just get a couple of really good Latino stars and you will fill the stadium. New use for the Astrodome. :D

More from the Houston Business Journal.

Houston one step closer to scoring San Jose Earthquakes

Jenna Colley

Houston Business Journal

It looks as if Houston may finally score its own professional soccer team, even if it is a financially struggling California transplant.

The Houston sports community was buzzing with anticipation this week following an announcement last weekend by Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber that the owner of the San Jose Earthquakes, Anschutz Entertainment Group, would be allowed to relocate the team.

Houston -- which has been rumored as the future home of the Earthquakes for more than a year -- was the only potential relocation city specifically mentioned in the announcement.

"At the recent MLS Board of Governors meeting in Frisco, the Anschutz Entertainment Group was granted approval by the Board to move the San Jose Earthquakes to a number of potential cities, including Houston," Garber said in a prepared statement.

Link to HBJ article

• 2 weeks later...

San Jose may build a stadium to keep the team.

San Jose officials discuss subsidy terms for soccer stadium

Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. - City officials who want to keep professional soccer from leaving town are considering subsidizing a new stadium for the Earthquakes.

City council members said they want to see a plan by Dec. 13 about a possible stadium near HP Pavilion, which is the home of the San Jose Sharks, the city's pro hockey team.

The council directed staff Tuesday in closed session to talk with the owner of the Sharks, Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment, which is in talks to acquire the soccer team.

Mayor Ron Gonzales and council members who support keeping the soccer team in town declined to say how much the Sharks' owners are seeking from the city to keep the franchise in town.

Any stadium deal would likely require approval from voters.

The Earthquakes' current owner, Anschutz Entertainment Group, wants to move the team to Houston

Link

Agreed, the Astrodome parking lot would seem to make sense. I'm not sure how locked-in the Delmar stadium location idea was (near Northwest Mall). We'll have to see if San Jose is willing to kick in for a new stadium first.

Location could be the make-it, breakt-it for MLS. I'd definatly go to Reliant Park for the games, but Northwest Mall?

The Dome is too big. They need something that will seat about 20,000 max. Building something like that will be the price of getting a local franchise.

I thought the Astrodome was supposed to become a Convention Hotel. Why is everyone talking as if that plan fell through? Did it fall through?

We could (and should) pull off having the biggest soccer-only stadium in MLS with a 30,000 to 40,000 seat stadium. Remember, Home Depot Stadium in Carson, California is the most famous soccer facility in America simply because their developers wanted to make something bigger and more thought out than all the rest. We have many loyal fans here, and we love making architecture first-class. Why should that be different with a soccer team? The stadium will succeed and will sell out if it's in a great location (Reliant Park, close to or in Downtown, my fav. Midtown.)

I thought the Astrodome was supposed to become a Convention Hotel. Why is everyone talking as if that plan fell through? Did it fall through?

We could (and should) pull off having the biggest soccer-only stadium in MLS with a 30,000 to 40,000 seat stadium. Remember, Home Depot Stadium in Carson, California is the most famous soccer facility in America simply because their developers wanted to make something bigger and more thought out than all the rest. We have many loyal fans here, and we love making architecture first-class. Why should that be different with a soccer team? The stadium will succeed and will sell out if it's in a great location (Reliant Park, close to or in Downtown, my fav. Midtown.)

Converting the Dome to a Convention hotel is still on, but I haven't heard nothing new about it.

The lastest news I've heard is that, they will build the new soccer stadium at Delmar. That's the one reason they fixing up 290 at Delmar. And for Northwest Mall, they said they going to convert that into a town center, or something like that.

Archived