San Jose Earthquakes Might Move To Houston

KimberlySayWhat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the idea of building a soccer-specific staduim at Reliant, since it has the parking and is on the light rail line. Delmar just doesn't seem a particularly logical explanation. Of course, assuming San Jose kicks in for a new facility, we won't have to make the decision for a while.

The USA v. Mexico matches were packed of course, but you couldn't expect that to happen for regular season MLS games. I don't think a team would agree to play permanently in the Dome where there is three times the necessary seating. We should have a great soccer facility, but no need to make it too big.

When I first say the title of this thread, and moved my mouse over it, I thought you were talking about Earthquakes so big, they could be felt in Houston... :D

Its hard to predict the fan-turn out in a such an un-popular major league sport. Maybe they would do better here?

A movie is being made which will combine the effects of the movies "Earthquake" and "Towering Inferno". It will be called "Shake & Bake".

Houston's chances of getting an MLS franchise just improved. The San Jose city council took the new soccer stadium for the Earthquakes off their agenda.

Quakes proposal taken off agendaCOUNCIL HAD PLANNED STADIUM DISCUSSIONBy Barry WittMercury NewsSan Jose's plan to build a soccer stadium to keep the Earthquakes from moving out of town appeared to be going nowhere Friday, as city administrators dropped a scheduled city council discussion from Tuesday's agenda.

No one with direct knowledge of discussions between the city and the San Jose Sharks, who are considering buying the soccer team, was talking about what was happening. But a city official said no deal had been hammered out to present to the council, as had been scheduled.

``I have nothing to give to the council in terms of a deal at this stage,'' said Assistant City Manager Mark Linder. After Tuesday, the council does not meet again until Jan. 10. The Earthquakes' current owner has threatened that a move is imminent.

Link

This is great news. :D You have to be enough of a Houston chauvinist to appreciate a new sports franchise! I think Robertson will be fine, not "lame", even though it's too large for a permanent field. It sure makes more sense than the Dome.

I'm sure part of the deal to move them here is a new facility, and I can't wait to hear the details of how that is going to work. How was the proposed Delmar stadium supposed to be funded?

I'm sure part of the deal to move them here is a new facility, and I can't wait to hear the details of how that is going to work. How was the proposed Delmar stadium supposed to be funded?

I sure hope the stadium isn't taxpayer funded. Why do I get the feeling I should get a kiss and dinner whenever they use my tax dollars to fund facilities for private business?

News breaks in San Jose.

Quakes heading for HoustonEMPLOYEES INFORMED THIS MORNINGMercury News StaffSan Jose has lost the Earthquakes.

Again.

Twenty-one years after the original Earthquakes died when the North American Soccer League folded, the Earthquakes of Major League Soccer are leaving.

Scott Blackmun, chief operating officer of Anschutz

Link

MLS/Anshutz press release

San Jose is keeping the Earthquakes name, colors, and competition records for a future expansion team.

Link

FC stands for "Forget California". They're H-Town International, baby!!!

HELL YEA H-TOWN BABY

I am not to familar with soccer either, but I will support a Houston Team. My girlfriends Dad is a big Mexico soccer fan. Im wondering if he will root for the team seeing how he is a Cowboys Fan. Hopefully after playing at Robertson Stadium the city or a private investor will help back this team by building a soccer specific stadium just for them. In the chron they were saying something like there is available land east of DT and on the Nawf side. This is supossedly a good team, and I think with the support of Houston they will be a great team.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived