San Jose Earthquakes Might Move To Houston

KimberlySayWhat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, that logo looks EXTREMELY retro. Reminds me of the original Astros logo :lol: I hope this logo, plus the posibility of a Delmar location, is just a practical joke :wacko:

It was a practical joke. For someone so psyched about soccer in Houston, you seem very poorly informed about it. Perhaps the sound of "soccer exploding" drowned out the news of this hoax.

It was a practical joke. For someone so psyched about soccer in Houston, you seem very poorly informed about it. Perhaps the sound of "soccer exploding" drowned out the news of this hoax.

The team leaders gotta take Houston soccer seriously first before any Houstonians do. And if the leaders don't, you will unfortunatly be right in 3 months <_<

Lets see what they do...

The team leaders gotta take Houston soccer seriously first before any Houstonians do. And if the leaders don't, you will unfortunatly be right in 3 months <_<

Lets see what they do...

The team leaders bolted from San Jose because they couldn't hold that city hostage for a new stadium. Houston has a well documented recent history of showing its whole ass anytime some billionaire with a sports team scratches his sack and asks for a new playground.

Let 'em play in Robertson Stadium for one hot summer and they will blame the poor attendance on the heat -- then ask for a mini Reliant in the East End...at taxpayer's expense.

And if you think raising rental car and hotel rates to pay for this stuff doesn't affect locals, you're not looking far enough into the story.

I say, we follow the Dallas example and let a suburban city get in on this kind of nonsense. Sugar Land might actually benefit from having this kind of facility to anchor their Town Square. They could use it for a nice concert venue in the offseason, or in three years when the league folds.

They said, this is the official logo for the new Houston Soccer team. They're holding it out for January 6, I think.

As usual, your reading comprehension is lack. Most lack of anyone on this board.

"They" also admitted this was a hoax:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282813

This isn't the place for personal attacks.

Anyway, it's probably true that they saw Houston as an easy mark for stadium funding. The funny thing is that immediately after the Earthquakes announced they were moving, San Jose came up with $80mm in funding for a stadium for an expansion franchise in 2007. This should sound familiar to anyone living in Houston. :o

San Jose newspaper story

The team leaders bolted from San Jose because they couldn't hold that city hostage for a new stadium. Houston has a well documented recent history of showing its whole ass anytime some billionaire with a sports team scratches his sack and asks for a new playground.

Subdude is right, yo. They didn't leave San Jose because they wouldn't fund a new stadium. San Jose offered the team $80 million of taxpayer money. The team left because Houston's the bigger city with the chance of a bigger marketplace and the chance of bigger profit being made here. Also, if we didn't use taxpayer money to help fund our sports team's stadiums, another city would have (as the Oilers demonstrated). If you were the owner of a franchise, why would you want to stay in a city that didn't financially help support you when another city is offering more? It's like choosing between keeping a job at McDonalds, or jumping ship to a job paying $200,000 a year. And no, athletes are not overpaid. It's only 15 to 20 athletes on a team splitting almost a billion dollars of profits that we give them. Their market paid them.

"They" also admitted this was a hoax:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282813

Thank God. It WAS a practical joke :lol:

By the way, Happy New Year coming up :)

Subdude is right, yo. They didn't leave San Jose because they wouldn't fund a new stadium. San Jose offered the team $80 million of taxpayer money. The team left because Houston's the bigger city with the chance of a bigger marketplace and the chance of bigger profit being made here. Also, if we didn't use taxpayer money to help fund our sports team's stadiums, another city would have (as the Oilers demonstrated). If you were the owner of a franchise, why would you want to stay in a city that didn't financially help support you when another city is offering more? It's like choosing between keeping a job at McDonalds, or jumping ship to a job paying $200,000 a year. And no, athletes are not overpaid. It's only 15 to 20 athletes on a team splitting almost a billion dollars of profits that we give them. Their market paid them.

Thank God. It WAS a practical joke :lol:

By the way, Happy New Year coming up :)

I think you need to re-read this story and others. San Jose only came up with that money AFTER the team left. That money is for an expansion team with local ownership.

Also, I never said athletes were overpaid in general. Some are, for sure.

Happy New Year to you, as well. I hope you can hold out until first kick in April. Have you reserved your seats yet? I already have a deposit down on baseball tickets, so I won't be going to games. Maybe I can catch some on Spanish language radio or perhaps some crazy UHF or shortwave TV channel or something. Maybe the Chronicle will at least publish scores from MLS games...

I think you need to re-read this story and others. San Jose only came up with that money AFTER the team left. That money is for an expansion team with local ownership.

Also, I never said athletes were overpaid in general. Some are, for sure.

Happy New Year to you, as well. I hope you can hold out until first kick in April. Have you reserved your seats yet? I already have a deposit down on baseball tickets, so I won't be going to games. Maybe I can catch some on Spanish language radio or perhaps some crazy UHF or shortwave TV channel or something. Maybe the Chronicle will at least publish scores from MLS games...

I LOVE soccer, but as to if I'll by tickets to any MLS games, it will depend on how much the team puts into it, and how serious the team is. I want NOTHING minor league-like. They've promised a splash in soccer in America, and I want to see them pull it off with their stadium, logo, and city representation. I want to see them overdo everything. Local media coverage, exciting announcers (GOOOOOOOAAALLLLLLLL...), the works. If they show promise like that, yeah, I'll buy tickets.

You're right about San Jose. But I'm sure the only reason why MLS is hell-bent on bring the Earthquake back is because of that $80 million dollar support. If San Jose didn't promise that, it'd probably be YEARS before the Earthquakes came back, if ever.

I wish MLS all the best, but what you put in is what you get out of it. Good luck to the team in 2006

I get excited about it just reading DJ's posts. :)

I would like to see MLS suceed, but I'm leery of them overdoing it in terms of expectations, stadia, or team expansions. They can make money, but they're going to remain a niche sport for the foreseeable future. You are right they need exciting announcers and local media support.

Archived