Prada Store In The Middle Of Nowhere

citykid09

I give it 3 months before there is graffiti and 2 busted windows on that joint. :D

Thats what I was thinking, they should have put some really strong windows on that thing. I will bet someone will steal all of that stuff.

Actually, it already has been vandalized. 30% unemployment in West Texas, so this foo-foo was poo-poo to many.

Also, this was the work of two German artists. No West Texas connection at all, other than the fact that it's in West Texas.

That was a good waste of $50,000 or so. Could have done a little good for humanity and built some chicken dinners for some homeless, instead of that piece of cr@p "artwork" :angry:

I understand that the rich have taken over Marfa. They're driving the real estate prices out of this world. Even Terlingua is getting a little foo-foo. Lajitas is now a fancy-schmancy resort with "5 star" chefs, manicured golf courses and LAKES! (Don't even get me started on the idiocy of that idea out in Big Bend.)

OTOH, Redford is still cheap, with no artsy-fartsy crowd. And prices are still low in Ruidosa (home of Rosa's Place and not much else), population 16, I believe. But for how long, I wonder?

Anyone else here miss Boquillas and Paso Lajitas? I hear the people aren't doing so well there...drug smuggling has skyrocketed since they shut down the border crossings. No way to make an honest living over there anymore.

don't mess with donald judd's aluminum! :lol:

Have you been out there to see it? I went out there about 10 years ago with an old girlfriend who lived out there in Alpine. I'm not of an artistic bent myself, but it was kind of interesting to see barracks after barracks after barracks out polished aluminum boxes. I was really more interested in the old army graffiti on the walls, though! If I remember correctly, a lot of the graffiti was from the old German POW's that were kept there in WWII.

Loved paying $1 to have the guy push us across the river. Drink some beer, and then get pushed back over.

Those were the days.

I was a big fan of the Park Bar over there. The other bar was the "tourist" bar. The Park Bar, a little farther down the road, was the one with the "try before you buy" mota sales around back. We got better deals in Houston than behind the Park Bar, but we always felt obligated to get a little bit.

Of course, when I took my wife, she like the "tourist" bar MUCH better than the Park Bar.

Have you been out there to see it?

only in pictures...i read that he adapted the artillery sheds to his art - it would have been more interesting the other way around, in my opinion...

also, aren't the interiors of the boxes supposed to be different? do you remember anything about the insides?

out of alot of the artists that have installations through chinati in marfa, i really only like claes oldenburg (but more of the oversized food...not the exhibit there). :)

also, chamberlain's steel works are a little interesting (especially if you like trash compacting! heh)

only in pictures...i read that he adapted the artillery sheds to his art - it would have been more interesting the other way around, in my opinion...

also, aren't the interiors of the boxes supposed to be different? do you remember anything about the insides?

out of alot of the artists that have installations through chinati in marfa, i really only like claes oldenburg (but more of the oversized food...not the exhibit there). :)

also, chamberlain's steel works are a little interesting (especially if you like trash compacting! heh)

What I remember about Judd's boxes was that each one was different in some way. I don't remember particulars, but like I said, it was somewhat interesting. It seems like there were hundreds of boxes there...a lot of work, obviously.

I do remember the Claes Oldenburg horseshoe there...I thought that was great.

And as for Chamberlain, are you talking about the crushed cars? That was pretty interesting as well, at least the first three or four that I saw. After that, it got kind of repetitive. I was asking myself, how is this any different than a junk yard? Why is it art when you put it in a nicely lit building, but junk/scrap metal when it's out behind a corrugated tin fence?

As for the art, overall...well, let's just say I much rather enjoy driving the natural beauty of the Pinto Canyon Road to looking at the manmade art...

Just another reason to LOVE West Texas; their sense of dry wit! :lol:

I wonder if they'd consider putting a Starbucks "ruin" right next to this...

What other "now" stores could you visualize adjacent to the Prada store?

:lol: Astroworld?! :lol:

No seriously, that's, like, a totally cruel and stereotypical way to treat the 4 citizens, 13 horses, and roaming tumbleweed at Marfa, Texas B)

Actually, it already has been vandalized. 30% unemployment in West Texas, so this foo-foo was poo-poo to many.

Also, this was the work of two German artists. No West Texas connection at all, other than the fact that it's in West Texas.

30% unemployment? So, like one dude at Marfa doesn't have a job, and it's like, 30% unemployed?

Nah, I'm kidding. I am kinda curious if the Marfa area would have a boom if El Paso kept going up at it's rate. It would be cool if there was a town development somewhere between El Paso and San Antonio, but I know that sounds far-fetched.

:lol: Astroworld?! :lol:

No seriously, that's, like, a totally cruel and stereotypical way to treat the 4 citizens, 13 horses, and roaming tumbleweed at Marfa, Texas B)

30% unemployment? So, like one dude at Marfa doesn't have a job, and it's like, 30% unemployed?

Nah, I'm kidding. I am kinda curious if the Marfa area would have a boom if El Paso kept going up at it's rate. It would be cool if there was a town development somewhere between El Paso and San Antonio, but I know that sounds far-fetched.

Considering that Marfa's about 200 miles from El Paso, I don't think they would feel an El Paso boom too much.

Marfa's growth right now is from hoity-toity artists and wealthy lawyers buying up land in what's now being seen as a "hip" artists community. I think they took that status away from Alpine about 10 years ago.

I really don't think Alipine ever had it to begin with.

But I love it out there.

We need to keep West Texas free of Yankess at all costs.

Heck, they don't even really care all that much for Houstonians out there. I can only imagine how the locals feel about New Yorkers.

I really don't think Alipine ever had it to begin with.

But I love it out there.

We need to keep West Texas free of Yankess at all costs.

Heck, they don't even really care all that much for Houstonians out there. I can only imagine how the locals feel about New Yorkers.

Alpine at least has Sul Ross St, so they've got a younger than average population. Outside of the students, though, it's a LOT of retirees. I think Alpine did have a reputation as an artist's enclave, but it wasn't the nationally-known artists, just a bunch of locals and folks who migrated into town who preferred painting or drawing or sculpting (and of course a little drinking and smoking) to "getting a real job". Alpine never had West Germans coming into town to build a fake Prada store, or John Waters designing "travel posters" for it...but I hear Willie Nelson used to play the SRSU homecomings back in the day, AND, I once had breakfast with Harry Dean Stanton at the Ponderosa Cafe in Alpine. Talk about high-falutin' visitors!

saltz3-19-7.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Prada Store In The Middle Of Nowhere

Archived