Largest Mardi Gras Celebration?

I thought Galveston had second largest Mardi Gras celebration in the states?

It's possible that St. Louis, Mobile, Ala. and Galveston, Texas, all will see more Mardi Gras revelers and that St. Louis will have the biggest celebration, Bradley said.

"This is all so fluid, it's just hard to know," Bradley said. He also said Mardi Gras, Inc. is pleased at the prospect of having more visitors. He hopes New Orleans has a great celebration.

Link to the entire article: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/neighborh...20here%20bigger

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

Bear in mind that the spokesman for the company putting on St. Louis's Mardi Gras is going to give it as positive a spin as possible, and that the hometown newspaper is going to be eager to report it.

I doubt that Galveston has much to worry about.

Jason-

Do you think since the Houston/Galveston area has such a large influx of Katrina evacuees here and a good portion of them saying that they don't want to go back to NOLA anytime soon, that the Galveston Mardi Gras celebration will be possibly a confluence of both area's celebrations this next year? Have you heard any rumblings of a combined TX/LA Mardi Gras in Galveston? What a party that would be!

My only issue with the Galveston Mardi Gras is that you have to pay to get in.

I've been to one and had a good time, but it misses the main concept that Mardi Gras is the greatest free party in the US.

Also, in Louisiana, New Orleans isn't the only city to have Mardi Gras. It area of Parades, it only has a portion. Many parades ran on the Wesbank and in Metarie where the damage wasn't to extreme.

Also, many communities across the state have their own Mardi Gras for locals. The New Orleans Mardi Gras, although attended by many locals, was attended by a higher amount of non-locals. Every year New Orleans news channels would do stories at the airport showing how many locals are leaving for vacation. Since schools are out, many families do vacations during Mardi Gras since rest of the country isn't vacationing. Disney World during Mardi Gras is awesome because they don't have long lines.

I wouldn't expect to see a big increase in revelers in Galveston. I think they will have their usual great celebrations.

Jason-

Do you think since the Houston/Galveston area has such a large influx of Katrina evacuees here and a good portion of them saying that they don't want to go back to NOLA anytime soon, that the Galveston Mardi Gras celebration will be possibly a confluence of both area's celebrations this next year? Have you heard any rumblings of a combined TX/LA Mardi Gras in Galveston? What a party that would be!

The national media is reporting that the local krewes in New Orleans are preparing for Mardi Gras as usual. I do expect however, those evacuees living in the Houston/Galveston area to maybe check out the Galveston carnival for the first time.

I only really have a couple of gripes about Mardi Gras in Galveston;

1. Lack of contemporary artists

2. The Strand fee

3. The midnight street sweeps funneling everyone to the Strand, which ultimately leads to pay or go home.

St. Louis and New Orleans share a French connection and a majority African-American population. Galveston has the Gulf coast, though.

There is the Krewe de Esprit Rosaire, which is the only black Catholic Krewe on the island. Their ball is on the Friday before Mardi Gras, they hold their parade that Saturday morning of the "big" parade, and also a "battle of the bands" competition on Seawall Blvd. between Houston area show bands. The parade is pretty big, but nowhere in scope of the Zulu Lundi Gras parade. I drive home to attend every year.

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

The national media is reporting that the local krewes in New Orleans are preparing for Mardi Gras as usual. I do expect however, those evacuees living in the Houston/Galveston area to maybe check out the Galveston carnival for the first time.

I only really have a couple of gripes about Mardi Gras in Galveston;

1. Lack of contemporary artists

2. The Strand fee

3. The midnight street sweeps funneling everyone to the Strand, which ultimately leads to pay or go home.

There is the Krewe de Esprit Rosaire, which is the only black Catholic Krewe on the island. Their ball is on the Friday before Mardi Gras, they hold their parade that Saturday morning of the "big" parade, and also a "battle of the bands" competition on Seawall Blvd. between Houston area show bands. The parade is pretty big, but nowhere in scope of the Zulu Lundi Gras parade. I drive home to attend every year.

I think this year's Mardi Gras is more of a make it-break it for Galveston more than New Orleans. Everyone already understands that regardless if Mardi Gras is big as usual in French Quarter, there's no chance that life will be back to normal there before then.

Galveston, on the other hand. If it doesn't grow much bigger than it already was last year, when will it grow? I think if they don't do a stellar job this year, and don't try to get it to that big level that New Orleans is known for, Galveston's Mardi Gras may risk going downhill from here.

Half a million people is not big enough? That's only 8 times the size of Galveston's population. Since when is 500,000 people on a tiny spit of land, not enough of a party? Or is this another of those American things, that if it isn't twice as big as last year, it sucks?

Last time I checked, New Orleans gets a million people into their 485,000 population city for Mardi Gras. Galveston gets 500,000 into their 60,000 population island for theirs. As long as it's a good party, who's to say that it's bad?

I think this year's Mardi Gras is more of a make it-break it for Galveston more than New Orleans. Everyone already understands that regardless if Mardi Gras is big as usual in French Quarter, there's no chance that life will be back to normal there before then.

Galveston, on the other hand. If it doesn't grow much bigger than it already was last year, when will it grow? I think if they don't do a stellar job this year, and don't try to get it to that big level that New Orleans is known for, Galveston's Mardi Gras may risk going downhill from here.

The problem is like I said before, the acts suuuck!

Those who do the booking for the park board are out of touch with reality. The majority of the people who are actually on the Strand on Saturday night are not familiar with, and do not want to hear the Chubby Checker's of the world. It seems to me that there are mostly 18-35 year olds out on that night. :(

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

Half a million people is not big enough? That's only 8 times the size of Galveston's population. Since when is 500,000 people on a tiny spit of land, not enough of a party? Or is this another of those American things, that if it isn't twice as big as last year, it sucks?

Last time I checked, New Orleans gets a million people into their 485,000 population city for Mardi Gras. Galveston gets 500,000 into their 60,000 population island for theirs. As long as it's a good party, who's to say that it's bad?

Doesn't have to be twice as big as last year, but if 500,000 people had an okay time last year there, I hope they make it 550,000 happy people the next year, 600,000 crazy people the next year....

I guess I'm a little competitive. I hate being a Texan and hearing that even though our party is big, there's another place that's throwing a bigger party than us, and we get no national respect for our events. I'm tired of Mardi Gras Galveston not being a national affair as New Orleans is. Sure, it's a smaller population than New Orleans, but f*** it, Texas has like, almost twice the population of Louisiana. OR Missouri. I'm not ready to see Galveston settle for half a million at Mardi Gras, say, ten years from now.

• 1 month later...

1. Metropolitantexan, I'm not going to sit here and act like I've never noticed the theme situation, (or the hired entertainment) for Galveston Mardi Gras. This was actually the same discussion we had in school at Ball High, when I attended. To be honest, I didn't think harldy any outsiders noticed. I don't think its intentional , more of an oversight. Its kind of like if you mention it though, you run the risk of someone saying LOOK, he's "playing the race card". So you'd better just shut up, and go along with the program.

2. I also don't think that it is deliberate that the White Krewes have better floats. Lets be honest, they are better financed, period.

3. George Mitchell has been VERY, VERY, VERY, good to minorities on the island. Through various scholarships at UTMB, social programs, and even in local politics.

4. Metropolitantexan, if you would like to support a minority production, you should attend the Krewe de Esprit Rosaire parade. They put on a battle of the bands, (I even saw a priest dancing last year, lol). Jack Yates, Willowridge, B.T. Washington, Forest Brook, and many others participate. They even incorporated a traditional Mexican dance troop. The parade ends at Holy Rosary church, where they sell soul food, crawfish, etouffe, boudin, gumbo, etc...

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

I am pretty sure that most of the New Orleans evacuees will be going to the Mardi Gras that will be coming up in New Orleans in 2006. Even some of the cities that will have their own local party will probably go to NOLA just to see how the city is doing. The Mardi Gras in New Orleans will be huge in 2006 I am sure. I even want to go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras just for curiosity but I will stay and support Galveston.

JUST WHY ARE THE EVENT'S SO SUCCESSFUL IN NEW ORLEANS AND ST. LOUIS? Let us all come together now....... it's the MINORITIES BABY!

Metropolitantexan

is mardi gras so successful in st louis? how many people actually attend, anybody have numbers?

i've been a few times there, and enjoy galveston much more. it is free, but there are no concerts, less people (density at least), and everything is cleared out early. there are no bars to stumble to, i didn't find it diverse. there is minority involvement, but just like everything else in stl, it is segragated. blacks in one area, whites in another.

Edited by skwatra

4. Metropolitantexan, if you would like to support a minority production, you should attend the Krewe de Esprit Rosaire parade. They put on a battle of the bands, (I even saw a priest dancing last year, lol). Jack Yates, Willowridge, B.T. Washington, Forest Brook, and many others participate. They even incorporated a traditional Mexican dance troop. The parade ends at Holy Rosary church, where they sell soul food, crawfish, etouffe, boudin, gumbo, etc...

I'd consider attending Krewe de Esprit Rosaire parade. It sounds like fun.

But as far as the $20 "Mardi Gras", I will pass. I used to go to the Galveston version back when it started and it was free and fun. My mom, who grew up in the Garden District of New Orleans, even enjoyed it. But I went back a couple of years ago and I won't go again. It just wasn't fun or worth it.

I do plan to be in NOLA for the 2006 celebration. Even the shortened version they are hosting will be wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings great pals....

Boy oh boy, have I been awaiting this particular topic to come forth.......come on everyone, let's finally be very honest with each other.......for we all really know what's wrong with the Mardi Gras in Galveston, now don't we?

WE WILL CALL IT RACE RELATIONS! The white movers and shakers within the Galveston community(George and Cynthia Mitchell along with all of their well healed and moneyed counterparts) would just love to keep a very controlled event loaded with all of the pomp and circumstance of the royal court, balls at the Tremont Hotel, the best floats loaded with all the best caucasians that money and advertising can buy..... etc. etc...

BUT WHOA THERE.....OLD DONKEY! Can someone please explain to me, "just what on earth has suddenly happened to all of the blacks that we all know populate the island of Galveston, as well as all of the spanish, vietnamese, get the picture........" Why haven't I seen a minority themed float within the Galveston Mardi Gras as of yet? Why aren't the minority population of Galveston more instrumental in creating more of a balance within the overall planning of all of the actual events planned along the strand as well as island wide during Mardi Gras. ........where oh where are all of the minorities of the City of Galveston during Mardi Gras?.......and why aren't they allowed to add to the infusion of ingredients that we all know actually create a wonderful as well as momentous Mardi Gras.

WHY OH WHY do they continue to try and add token black organizations (TSU MARCHING BAND, PRAIRIE VIEW BAND AMONG OTHER TOKEN GROUPS FROM HOUSTON AND OTHER AREAS), instead of allowing their own minority citizens to help build a better and more inclusive event so that all of the minority groups that are allowed to be added..........won't feel used as tokens to the event, and would actually want to join are be invited just as they do in New Orleans, St. Louis and elsewhere.........

JUST WHY ARE THE EVENT'S SO SUCCESSFUL IN NEW ORLEANS AND ST. LOUIS? Let us all come together now....... it's the MINORITIES BABY!

Metropolitantexan

Ummm, Metropolitan, your so called "tokens" can always say NO THANK YOU WHITEY ! We aren't interested. Better yet, why don't all the "minorities" get together and make another ZULU parade, just like N.O. ? Better still, I think you should organize it, get all your black and brown leaders together, Quanell and Johnny Mata,and the like, and bring those communities together, The Muslim Nation has plenty of money as well as LULAC. Don't you think they see what the WHITE DEVIL is doing ? Surely they don't want to be associated with their kind. Isn't it possible for them to get their own parade, all they have to do is pay for a few measley floats out of their own pocket, get a few silly permits, again paying out of their own pockets. You gonna sit there and try to tell me that these "White Krewes" have more money than the "Black Krewes" ?

BTW, Jason, who do you suggest they get for "ACTS" ? Maybe, C Murder, 50 Cent or 36 Mafia ?

Edited by TJones

Ummm, Metropolitan, your so called "tokens" can always say NO THANK YOU WHITEY ! We aren't interested. Better yet, why don't all the "minorities" get together and make another ZULU parade, just like N.O. ? Better still, I think you should organize it, get all your black and brown leaders together, Quanell and Johnny Mata,and the like, and bring those communities together, The Muslim Nation has plenty of money as well as LULAC. Don't you think they see what the WHITE DEVIL is doing ? Surely they don't want to be associated with their kind. Isn't it possible for them to get their own parade, all they have to do is pay for a few measley floats out of their own pocket, get a few silly permits, again paying out of their own pockets. You gonna sit there and try to tell me that these "White Krewes" have more money than the "Black Krewes" ?

BTW, Jason, who do you suggest they get for "ACTS" ? Maybe, C Murder, 50 Cent or 36 Mafia ?

Now TJones, I'm sure those were just random artists off the top of your head, or I might get the wrong idea about you ;)

Seriously, here some names I would offer up...

MAZE

Maroon 5

Missy Elliot

Van Hunt

Common

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Usher

Destiny's Child

Gwen Stefani

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

Now TJones, I'm sure those were just random artists off the top of your head, or I might get the wrong idea about you ;)

Seriously, here some names I would offer up...

MAZE

Maroon 5

Missy Elliot

Van Hunt

Common

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Usher

Destiny's Child

Gwen Stefani

Why not Good Charlotte, Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Black Crowes, Aerosmith, The Stones, but BIG acts don't play Mardi Gras, you honestly think you'd get Gwen to play for less than $100,000. You blow your whole budget, you can get 10 acts for the same price as one, and keep the party rolling, that is why you have the likes of Chubby Checker and The Fabulous T-birds. BTW, I like a couple of your suggestions on bands, I'm sure those were carefully chosen after my post. ;):D

Edited by TJones

BTW, I like a couple of your suggestions on bands, I'm sure those were carefully chosen after my post. ;):D

Now TJ, how does the saying go about assumptions? I own an album from every one of those artists ;)

How many people who listen to the artist you listed would register on a architecture forum?

Now TJ, how does the saying go about assumptions? I own an album from every one of those artists ;)

How many people who listen to the artist you listed would register on a architecture forum?

Well, I don't own C Murder, but.... I wouldn't even consider owning a No Doubt or Gwen or Destiny's Child CD. No Usher, never heard of Van Hunt, never heard of MAZE either, ;) Everyone else mentioned I have. You trying to tell me that no one on here listens to The Stones or Aerosmith, over half the people on here probably grew up with nothing but that on their 8 tracks.

The flipside of the "assumption" is that you assume that everyone owns the groups you listed.

Edited by TJones

Well, I don't own C Murder, but.... I wouldn't even consider owning a No Doubt or Gwen or Destiny's Child CD. No Usher, never heard of Van Hunt, never heard of MAZE either, ;) Everyone else mentioned I have. You trying to tell me that no one on here listens to The Stones or Aerosmith, over half the people on here probably grew up with nothing but that on their 8 tracks.

The flipside of the "assumption" is that you assume that everyone owns the groups you listed.

I was suggesting that those artists be included, not exclude Galveston Mardi Gras' current genre of performers. I'd like for them to include a little something for everyone to enjoy. You even have to admit that the Stones and Aerosmith crowd is catered to every year. There is NEVER any pop, r&b, or hip hop artists.

I was suggesting that those artists be included, not exclude Galveston Mardi Gras' current genre of performers. I'd like for them to include a little something for everyone to enjoy. You even have to admit that the Stones and Aerosmith crowd is catered to every year. There is NEVER any pop, r&b, or hip hop artists.

That crowd is catered to because that is the crowd that spends the most money, hands down. They are the ones renting the rooms all week, they are the movers and shakers who make this event possible. That is how you do business, keep your main clients happy, the ones that put the money into the deal, so they'll comeback next year. You don't cater to the looky-loos. Mardi Gras is a business venture as well as a party.

That crowd is catered to because that is the crowd that spends the most money, hands down. They are the ones renting the rooms all week, they are the movers and shakers who make this event possible. That is how you do business, keep your main clients happy, the ones that put the money into the deal, so they'll comeback next year. You don't cater to the looky-loos. Mardi Gras is a business venture as well as a party.

True, but the more people you cater to, the more people will probably show up, and the better chance that mad money would be made. ^_^

I attended each Galveston Mardi Gras from 1988 to 1994 and I just got burned out on the blatant mob mentality. I usually held a balcony throwing beads and the like. One year I saw a mob grab a topless girl off her boyfriends back and dragged into a dark alley across the street from me. There was nothing we could do. Her boyfriend was held back from making it to her because he was indescriminately punching people in the crowd trying to follow his girl to the alley and the crowd faught back at him. I'm not sure exactly what happened to the girl but that soured the whole festive trade of beads for flesh thing forever for me. I also saw a guy shot right in front of me about a hour after the strand was closed to partygoers. I had just gotten off work and was walking home and a caddy pulled up and someone inside shot a guy in a apron closing up his food service tent.

I went once again years later but just to attend some of the parties. I want nothing to do with the street activities... at least on the strand.