Mexicans Taking Over Houston

citykid09

actually a "mexican-american" could mean an american of mexican decent or a mexican who moved to the US to become an american. the former would be 2nd, 3rd or greater generation and the former would be first generation.

i could be labeled as an italian-american becuase of my italian heritage but other than loving the godfather movies and can make a good speghetti sauce, i have little ties with italy (or the other countries of my heritage).

"hispanic" means people of latin american decent except brazil as they speak portuguese, not spanish. people from spain are not "hispanic" either becuase they are lumped together with them other europeans and who needs them?

"latin-american" means people from (or of) the whole enchillada...so to speak.

I'm sorry, maybe I am wrong here, but I never heard that in my life. I was taught first generation only, and MAYBE second--but then, what do I know?

I also disagree with "hispanics" being of all latin american descent except Brazil--but then, what do I know?

It is funny how people from Spain aren't considered hispanic...yet the very word is Spanish, from Spain.

But then, what do I know?

;)

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 i wonder if you have adult adhd which causes you to skim over words instead of reading for comprehension or if you and i just cannot connect. 

You didn't have to start off your paragraph by insulting him. Personal attacks, whether on the internet or in person, are reserved for the childish and those who cannot formulate an intelligent response. I have read and enjoyed some of your posts on here, and I am dissapointed.

27 - I tottaly agree with you on your statements.

Many immigrants and citizens in this country CHOOSE to fight for it. That is their right, their duty, and their privilege. I appreciate that your family fought alongside mine, but using it in your debate and calling yourself a "Mexican American" when clearly you are not almost seems elitist.

That term is self-imposed to denote ethnicity more than elitism. It is no different than the way many in the Northeast still refer to themeslves as Italian-American, Irish-American and soforth.

If suddenly Mexico City realized that they had more "gringos" or "bolillos" living there than Mexicanos and that they were out reproducing the Mexicanos by 2 to 1 and that the media was half English etc., I bet there would be some mixed feelings and comments, at a minimum. In fact, I bet the miltary, politicians and many people would be up in arms and passing laws quickly to protect their culture.

Your argument is negated when you realize that the individuals who own the spanish speaking media outlets in the United States are primarily of European descent, or what is commonly referred to as "white people" Given this fact, why don't raise your concerns with them? I'll give you the answer so your time is not wasted: The hispanic markey is an emerging market with the purchasing power expected to be in the billions of dollars. There is no way that any media company is goign to miss the opportunity to tap this market. Therefore, the market can demand its services in whatever language they choose.

The illegal that are coming over to this country and trying to force others to conform to their way of life is the problem.

Refer to my statement above.

If you come here LEGALLY, then you will be forced to learn english in far less time than that, because your proficency in english will be teseted as part of the process to gain American Citizenship.

"Coming" here legally is does not mean you are an American Citizen. You can "come" here through visas or resident alien status and they do not require English.

If you come here LEGALLY, then you will be forced to learn english in far less time than that, because your proficency in english will be teseted as part of the process to gain American Citizenship.

You issues this stament in response to an assimilation claim by 2112. Did you not realize that if the children of these people can translate english to spanish for their parents, they have begun to assimilate? Do you also not realize that these children will not need to take their kids out of school to translate for them? Most people here do not realize that it is harder for an adult to learn a second language than a child. It is not a cultural thing, it is a neural pathways of a human brain have been prewired thing.

Study english for 30 minutes to an hour each day. Study at night, on the way to work, on your day off. I'm sorry, that is not an excuse to me. If one takes the time everyday to learn 5 new words in english, his/her vocabulary would improve dramatically in a relatively short period of time. Additionally, that person should be presented with the opportunity, everyday, to practice his/her english by communicating with other english-speaking people in our society. If someone risked their life to come here and made all of those other additional sacrifices to have a better life, it just seems logical to me that learning english should be in line with the rest of those sacrifices. In other words, learning english is part of having that better life.

Certainly. As long as you take out the self-esteem and embarrassment at sounding like an idiot issues. That would mean that they were then perfect like.... you? If you're methods are as good as you think, why don't you publish a pamphlet to give to immigrants in both english and their foregn language so they can learn your methods?

Oh my god, that is hands-down our fave Chappelle's Show skit here.

"See, I never just did things just to do them. Come on, I mean what am I gonna do, just all of a sudden just jump up and grind my feet on somebody's couch like it's something to do? Come on, I have a little more sense than that."

[He pauses.]

"Yeah, I remember grinding my feet on Eddie's couch."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That one and the one where he is blind, thinks he's white, and is a grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. I about wet my drawers when I saw that white guy's head explode :lol::lol::lol:

If you're methods are as good as you think, why don't you publish a pamphlet to give to immigrants in both english and their foregn language so they can learn your methods?

There's no need for that. You have made it clear that their desire to learn does not exist because they are either too old (according to 2112, starting at age 25), too embarrassed, have low self esteem, and something about pre-wiring of cerebral nueropathways). Who can argue over those excuses?

If you're methods are as good as you think, why don't you publish a pamphlet to give to immigrants in both english and their foregn language so they can learn your methods?

That would contradict my point, which is: I don't feel that I should have to teach permanent legal residents, or those with intentions to stay here long-term, "methods" on how to learn english or otherwise assimilate. In my opinion, that's their responsibility.

"Coming" here legally is does not mean you are an American Citizen. You can "come" here through visas or resident alien status and they do not require English.

You are absolutely right. I personally hold resident aliens, and immigrants here on a visa, to a different standard because their status is based upon them residing in this country pursuant to a fixed term (i.e. work visa, student visa, visitors/tourist visa). However, even if a person is here by way of a student or work visa, he/she would undoubtedly be forced to learn English for obvious reasons. This thread is about the "Mexicanization" of Houston, and as a sub-topic, we began discussing illegal Mexicans as the driving force partially behind that. I would dare state that any Mexican Citizen here on a work or student visa is trying to learn the English language. And I'm sure those people are not clamoring for U.S. taxpayers to shoulder the burden of English-Spanish translations. I don't have a problem with those people. Our government has been apprised that they are here for work or education, and has determined the benefit of them being here outweighs the cost to taxpayers. . .which is what this thread is fundamentally about.

I have to put in my .02 about the "30 minutes a day" learning method.

Learning english (or any language for that matter) is substantially more difficult the older you get. It has to do with the way the thought process goes in such matters.

If you introduce a child to the sounds and pronounciations of different languages, they will be able to pick it up faster than an adult .

I should know, I have been trying to pick up Japanese again (because my daughter is into it) and I'm finding it embarressing that my child that a language that I spoke as a young adult, she is already more proficient at her young age, then what I was a few years her senior.

learning 30 minutes a day is a bit much to ask for, especially if you're talking about learning at home. If you are taking a class for 30 minutes a day, it takes a couple of hours to just revolve around that 30 minute class.

Those of you that take college courses at night can easily testify,to this.

Ricco

• 3 weeks later...
I was in Houston the other week helping my sister move in here new apartment and I noticed that with out the cable on the TV hooked up There were at least 6 Mexican Channels Coming through. Then while fliping through radio stations, I noticed alot were in Spanish. I figure soon they will turn ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX in to Mexican channels. What is going on? Can we not enjoy American Entertanment any more because we must accomidate Mexicans and their entertanment. I don't think it's right! More and more illegal aliens are taking over and no one is acting on it. They come to America and think that we should learn Spanish to talk to them and they don't want to learn English. Alot of them pretend to be Dumb and act like the don't know a word of English when they do something wrong. Do you all think I am being prejudice for thinking this way or am I telling the truth?

THIS JUST IN: Houston FM Radio Station KTRS 92.1 has just fliped from Modern Rock for the 1990s and early 2000s to am "Mexican Hits Station"

I was in Houston the other week helping my sister move in here new apartment and I noticed that with out the cable on the TV hooked up There were at least 6 Mexican Channels Coming through. Then while fliping through radio stations, I noticed alot were in Spanish. I figure soon they will turn ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX in to Mexican channels. What is going on? Can we not enjoy American Entertanment any more because we must accomidate Mexicans and their entertanment. I don't tnd they don't want to learn English. Alot of them pretend to be Dumb and act like the don't know a word of English when they do something wrong. Do you all think I am being prejudice for thinking this way or am I telling the truth?

THIS JUST IN: Houston FM Radio Station KTRS 92.1 has just fliped from Modern Rock for the 1990s and early 2000s to am "Mexican Hits Station"

I was in Houston the other week helping my sister move in here new apartment and I noticed that with out the cable on the TV hooked up There were at least 6 Mexican Channels Coming through. Then while fliping through radio stations, I noticed alot were in Spanish. I figure soon they will turn ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX in to Mexican channels. What is going on? Can we not enjoy American Entertanment any more because we must accomidate Mexicans and their entertanment. I don't think it's right! More and more illegal aliens are taking over and no one is acting on it. They come to America and think that we should learn Spanish to talk to them and they don't want to learn English. Alot of them pretend to be Dumb and act like the don't know a word of English when they do something wrong. Do you all think I am being prejudice for thinking this way or am I telling the truth?

you are just being raceist!! how do you think the indians felt when YOU took over their territory , hugh i thaught soo. poor people babies seniors women children they all died cause of you!! mexicans a.k.a me are just normal people!!!!!!!! k comprende!! you guys are the alliens besides you aint even american homie. you and your silly ancestors are europians!! k!! :blink: and for your 411 we are not alliens!!!! we are normal people and just causew we have more fame and radio and television sites dont mean you have to hate!!!! anyway we are learning english wwhy would we want yall to talk to us??? <_< we are way smarter thatn yall . when your sitting in elememtary school in 2nd garde doing multiplacation and addition we are doing division ,fractions ,and 4 th grade sciencs!! ha!! so dont be haten!!

If you were way smarter than us, than you would know that the kind of "alien" I'm talking about is the illegal kind.

alien >adjective 1 belonging to a foreign country. 2 unfamiliar and distasteful. 3 (of a plant or animal species) introduced from another country and later naturalized. 4 relating to beings from other worlds. >noun 1 a foreigner. 2 an alien plant or animal species. 3 a being from another world.

-DERIVATIVES alienness >noun.

-ORIGIN Latin alienus, from alius 'other'.

www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssis...nt/3073189

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Hispanic teens shed the language of their native countries and immerse themselves in American culture, they become dramatically more sexually active, a new study shows.

A review of 7,300 Arizona teenagers' behavior, which should translate well to other states that border Mexico, including Texas, found that 31 percent of Hispanic teens who speak primarily English have had sex, more than twice the percentage of those who speak primarily Spanish, 14 percent.

Various research has found that less-Americanized Hispanic children have healthier diets, better immunization rates, fewer suicide attempts, and decreased use of tobacco, alcohol and drugs than more Americanized adolescents.

Hispanic children who come to this country become immersed in a culture that is more permissive about sex, Smith said

anyone try looking hispanic up? the usage note is actually interesting, and shows a lot of people on this forum are right depending on how you look at it-

adj.

Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.

Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.

n.

A Spanish-speaking person.

A U.S. citizen or resident of Latin-American or Spanish descent.

USAGE NOTE Though often used interchangeably in American English, Hispanic and Latino are not identical terms, and in certain contexts the choice between them can be significant. Hispanic, from the Latin word for

They never have considered themselves Indian-Americans. They're Indians from India.  The only one that isn't is Krishna, he calls himself "an American born in New Delhi" 

my parents came here from india in '72, and i was born here. all of my friends who are in the same situation, call themselves indian-americans. we can't call ourselves american indians for obvious reasons, and though we see ourselves american first, the indian part is still pretty important to us.

we are actually are referred as ABCD's, American Born Confused Desi's (desi means indian in hindi) by the older generation that came here, its a joke but probably true, considering the combination of the culture and generation gap between us and our parents.

Wow... this is an interesting thread! Finally a thread (anyone else ever notice that there is only a one letter difference between "thread" and "threat"?) where everyone can discuss a sensitive and potentially explosive issue without completly blowing up and having the thread shut down.

I think it's interesting that people - in 2005 - can finally be so civil when talking about issues surrounding race/nationality. But, if you dare say anything nice about Dallas everyone completley freaks out and wants to kill your entire family. LOL.... I think there is honestly something very funny about that! Seriously, I think it's great that Houston has such a rich mix of different cultures. Most Texas cities don't have that.

As far as the whole thing about illegal immagrants and closing the boarders... I'm a Native-American (Cherokee and Caddo) so I say all of y'all need to get the heck out!!!! LOL!!!!! I am just kidding. America wouldn't be America if it wasn't a melting pot. However, I am a little bitter that y'all killed off all the natural wildlife in America.

Wow... this is an interesting thread! Finally a thread (anyone else ever notice that there is only a one letter difference between "thread" and "threat"?) where everyone can discuss a sensitive and potentially explosive issue without completly blowing up and having the thread shut down.

I think it's interesting that people - in 2005 - can finally be so civil when talking about issues surrounding race/nationality. But, if you dare say anything nice about Dallas everyone completley freaks out and wants to kill your entire family. LOL.... I think there is honestly something very funny about that! Seriously, I think it's great that Houston has such a rich mix of different cultures. Most Texas cities don't have that.

As far as the whole thing about illegal immagrants and closing the boarders... I'm a Native-American (Cherokee and Caddo) so I say all of y'all need to get the heck out!!!! LOL!!!!! I am just kidding. America wouldn't be America if it wasn't a melting pot. However, I am a little bitter that y'all killed off all the natural wildlife in America.

i knew there was a houston-dallas rivalry, but i never knew it to be so intense. houston is RANKED as the 4th largest city by most accounts. i am not sure about all these other government statistics, but whenever you hear city sizes it is always:

1. new york

2. los angeles

3. chicago

4. houston

not really sure where dallas falls? not really sure why it is 'dallas AND ft. worth' and really do not care. i have never felt really at home in dallas, but that's just me. i am sure it is a fine city.

and i agree with you. i like the fact that all americans do not look or act or speak or have the same values as me. it is what makes us a great country (even if most do not agree) ... diversity.

my parents came here from india in '72, and i was born here. all of my friends who are in the same situation, call themselves indian-americans. we can't call ourselves american indians for obvious reasons, and though we see ourselves american first, the indian part is still pretty important to us.

we are actually are referred as ABCD's, American Born Confused Desi's (desi means indian in hindi) by the older generation that came here, its a joke but probably true, considering the combination of the culture and generation gap between us and our parents.

Well, that's great for you and your friends.....but when I talk about Indian-Americans I am talking about people just like your parents, born in India. To me, you are not an Indian anything other than by descent, but you are an American. That is what I was taught to be correct. Feel free to call yourself whatever you wish, but it won't change what I think. Sorry!

However, I am a little bitter that y'all killed off all the natural wildlife in America.

OMG I am LMAO @ this!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: But please don't lump all of us in one category of wildlife killers!! ;)

by boowoo: you are just being raceist!!  how do you think the indians felt when  YOU  took over their territory , hugh i thaught soo. poor people babies seniors women children they all died cause of you!! mexicans a.k.a me are just normal people!!!!!!!! k comprende!! you guys are the alliens besides you aint even american homie. you and your silly ancestors are europians!! k!!  and for your 411 we are not alliens!!!! we are normal people and just causew we have more fame and radio and television sites dont mean you have to hate!!!! anyway we are learning english wwhy would we want yall to talk to us???  we are way smarter thatn yall . when your sitting in elememtary school in 2nd garde doing multiplacation and addition we  are doing division ,fractions ,and 4 th grade sciencs!! ha!!  so dont be haten!!

Oh my god....just when I thought this could not get any better I step in here and catch this little gem. Sound Familiar? LOL!! :lol:

As for the topic being dead, I guess we're getting a good haunting. ;)

"Wow... this is an interesting thread! Finally a thread (anyone else ever notice that there is only a one letter difference between "thread" and "threat"?) where everyone can discuss a sensitive and potentially explosive issue without completly blowing up and having the thread shut down." (quote, willy1)

willy, either you are attempting sarcasm in your post above or like 27 said, you have not read the many pages of rants, raves, and assorted impassioned insights. this has been one of the most emotionally charged topics and i was sure once or twice it was going to be shut down as things went completely over the line. that it has survived is encouraging, like some kind of sign that despite all of the bashing we will all endure, a little better acquainted despite being worse for the wear. i am sympathetic to the injustice suffered by the native americans, as well as the mexicans who seemed to be doing just fine before being "taken over" by texans with an over the top case of manifest destiny. subsequently i am sympathetic towards those imprisoned by slavery before the civil war, as well as women (of all color) who will never forget their early origins of repression and exploitation. instead of a "melting pot" we seem to have evolved into acceptable levels of race, gender and age segregation while trading p/c consolation prizes for true tolerance and diversity. there is still so far we have to go but the dialog we engage in here stands for if nothing else, courage and the willingness to keep trying.

deb martin

In my "holier than thou" manner, as long as it's in "Way Off Topic" I don't think there's any problem with keeping threads open to let members vent as long as they keep it clean. This topic area is here to allow contentious discussion of contentious issues. If something is upsetting there is always the option to just ignore it, rather than jumping into the fray. I think where we have the bigger problem is that the same things (off-topic meanderings, flame wars, etc.) continue to occur in all the other topic areas of the board.

27, I wasn't addressing you specifically or accusing anyone of whining. I was just trying to explain why I didn't see a big problem with the thread staying open. I am sure you are right that people read one post and then post angry responses, but when it's obvious, again my gut reaction would usually be to just ignore it. In general it's preferable not to shut down threads, but I agree with you that this one has run its course and now I am way off topic :lol: so we'll close it. (Everyone breathes sigh of relief.) To echo 27's other point, if someone wants to vent or bring up a new topic, then start a new thread please. The problem with some of the longer topics out there isn't necessarily just that they are long and people don't always wade through all the posts, as much as they ramble off into different sidebar discussions that have nothing to do with the original topic. That makes them especially hard to follow.

• The title was changed to Mexicans Taking Over Houston
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived