Jump to content

2026 FIFA World Cup Matches In Houston At NRG Stadium


texas911

Recommended Posts

Now that USA/Mex/Can won to host the 2026 World Cup, can Houston get a game or two? I think we might have a chance seeing as we've hosted two great Super Bowls and multiple NCAA basketball tourney regionals/championships. We have rail and we are the 4th largest city in the USA. Plus NRG has the option for a grass field. Or will Dallas steal our thunder yet again?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Atlanta
  • Baltimore
  • Boston (1994 host city)
  • Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Dallas (1994 host city)
  • Denver
  • Houston
  • Kansas City, Missouri
  • Los Angeles (1994 host city)
  • Miami
  • Nashville, Tennessee
  • New York-New Jersey (1994 host city)
  • Orlando, Florida (1994 host city)
  • Philadelphia
  • San Francisco (1994 host city)
  • Seattle
  • Washington (1994 host city)

The cities in USA vying for a spot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just thinking this through from a numbers perpsective

 

Locks:

Atlanta (Mercedes Benz)

NYC (Met Life)

LA (Rose Bowl/Inglewood)

Dallas (Jerry World)

Philly/DC (Lincoln/FedEx) - Can't see them picking both, but with the 250th anniversary of 1776, one or the other will be picked. 

 

Likely: 

Boston (Gillette)

San Francisco (Levi's)

Miami (Hard Rock)

 

Unlikely: 

Baltimore (M&T Bank) - Far too many other host cites nearby

Cincinnati (Paul Brown) - Immature soccer city, doesn't measure up to other major metros

Nashville (Nissan) - Close to Atlanta, immature soccer city, lower tier stadium

 

So that basically leaves 2-3 spots to fill from the following contenders:

Seattle (Century Link) - America's best soccer city but not many nearby venues, could be problematic for travel, but also beneficial to Canada, since Vancouver withdrew

Orlando (Camping World) - Great travel/hospitality infrastructure, but how likely are there to be two cities in Florida? 

Kansas City (Arrow Head) - Mature soccer city, strongest Midwest candidate (no Chicago or Minneapolis) 

Denver (Mile High) - Not much soccer culture, location could be problematic

Houston (NRG) - Only real downside is the proximity to Dallas. 

 

My best guess is Houston, Kansas City and Seattle to round it out. 

Edited by hammi
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

 

If both cities were selected, it would be a good way to highlight the relatively new High Speed Rail connection between the cities. 

 

Good thought.  And that conceivably could give both cities an additional boost in the site selection competition.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, hammi said:

Just thinking this through from a numbers perpsective

 

Locks:

Atlanta (Mercedes Benz)

NYC (Met Life)

LA (Rose Bowl/Inglewood)

Dallas (Jerry World)

Philly/DC (Lincoln/FedEx) - Can't see them picking both, but with the 250th anniversary of 1776, one or the other will be picked. 

 

Likely: 

Boston (Gillette)

San Francisco (Levi's)

Miami (Hard Rock)

 

Unlikely: 

Baltimore (M&T Bank) - Far too many other host cites nearby

Cincinnati (Paul Brown) - Immature soccer city, doesn't measure up to other major metros

Nashville (Nissan) - Close to Atlanta, immature soccer city, lower tier stadium

 

So that basically leaves 2-3 spots to fill from the following contenders:

Seattle (Century Link) - America's best soccer city but not many nearby venues, could be problematic for travel, but also beneficial to Canada, since Vancouver withdrew

Orlando (Camping World) - Great travel/hospitality infrastructure, but how likely are there to be two cities in Florida? 

Kansas City (Arrow Head) - Mature soccer city, strongest Midwest candidate (no Chicago or Minneapolis) 

Denver (Mile High) - Not much soccer culture, location could be problematic

Houston (NRG) - Only real downside is the proximity to Dallas. 

 

My best guess is Houston, Kansas City and Seattle to round it out. 

Keep in mind that LA will be preparing for the 2028 Olympics.  This will be a great rehearsal for them.  I can see Houston being selected for group rounds and Dallas for the semifinals.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

He said he is better than 70% sure Houston will be one of the 16 U.S. cities selected to host games that year, whittled down from a shortlist of 23 cities released a few weeks ago. The city will get between four and seven games over a 30-day period, he said — 60 games overall will be held in the United States. Houston is also being considered as a hub for officials during the games. The 16 cities will likely be named in 2021. In Houston’s favor for World Cup 2026 selection are the in-place infrastructure — NRG Stadium, systems in place to shuttle visitors between the game and activities, hotels, etc.; our history of hosting major sporting events (in the last 2.5 years alone we’ve had Copa America, the Final Four and the Super Bowl); the international airports; the training venues and stadiums; and diversity. Plus we have an extra little nudge no one else got — the final United Bid was curated in Houston prior to being submitted to FIFA. All 23 teams from around North America flew into the Bayou City and strategized how the bid would be structured and submitted.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/economic-development/houston-likely-to-host-world-cup-2026-games-what-thatll-mean-for-cre-90108?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 4:46 PM, lockmat said:

He said he is better than 70% sure Houston will be one of the 16 U.S. cities selected to host games that year, whittled down from a shortlist of 23 cities released a few weeks ago. The city will get between four and seven games over a 30-day period, he said — 60 games overall will be held in the United States. Houston is also being considered as a hub for officials during the games. The 16 cities will likely be named in 2021. In Houston’s favor for World Cup 2026 selection are the in-place infrastructure — NRG Stadium, systems in place to shuttle visitors between the game and activities, hotels, etc.; our history of hosting major sporting events (in the last 2.5 years alone we’ve had Copa America, the Final Four and the Super Bowl); the international airports; the training venues and stadiums; and diversity. Plus we have an extra little nudge no one else got — the final United Bid was curated in Houston prior to being submitted to FIFA. All 23 teams from around North America flew into the Bayou City and strategized how the bid would be structured and submitted.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/economic-development/houston-likely-to-host-world-cup-2026-games-what-thatll-mean-for-cre-90108?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

We also have the Final 4 again in 2023 and will possibly get another Superbowl before 2026.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Guadalajara are the western cities. 

Kansas City, Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Monterrey, and Mexico City are the central cities.

Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, and New York/New Jersey are the eastern cities.

 

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to 2026 FIFA World Cup Matches In Houston At NRG Stadium

I'm interested to see what they do for the playing surface. I know NRG has hosted CONCACAF matches and other "friendly" high end exhibitions, so they seem to have solved the "trays of green mud" approach used a few years back with the Texans. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/sports/2023/05/18/452037/fifa-world-cup-2026-houston-logo-revealed/

"The logo revealed by FIFA for the 2026 World Cup is simple, with a 2 stacked on top of a 6 and the World Cup trophy superimposed on them. The trophy’s image is a first for a World Cup logo, as is the use of the tournament hosting year as part of the logo itself.

Each city's version of the logo includes the city's name and a unique color for the numbers and lettering. Houston's is a medium shade of blue."

worldcup2026houstonlogo-1000x533.jpg.web

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

AT&T Stadium in Arlington will host the championship match for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, beating out MetLife Stadium in New Jersey and cementing Dallas-Fort Worth’s reputation as a U.S. mecca for international soccer, according to several reports Thursday.

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/news/economic-development/att-stadium-in-arlington-to-host-final-match-of-world-cup-various-uk-outlets-report-122467

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

AT&T Stadium in Arlington will host the championship match for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, beating out MetLife Stadium in New Jersey and cementing Dallas-Fort Worth’s reputation as a U.S. mecca for international soccer, according to several reports Thursday.

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/news/economic-development/att-stadium-in-arlington-to-host-final-match-of-world-cup-various-uk-outlets-report-122467

Official announcement takes place on February 4th.  I love how Dallas keeps telling itself that its "cementing Dallas-Fort Worth’s reputation as a U.S. mecca."  They used the exact same language when they won the ARPA-H.  

In my mind Dallas is cemented as the city where Kennedy was assasinated.  That's it!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Opening match:  Mexico City

1st Canada match:  Toronto 

1st U.S. match:  Los Angeles

Houston getting 5 matches (group stage), along with most U.S. cities.

DFW 5 (9 in total, the most of any city) (QTR and Semi)
ATL 5 (Semi)
MIA 4 (QTR and Bronze)
KC 4 (QTR)
BOS 5 (QTR)
PHI 5
NYC 5
SEA 4
SF 5
LA 5 (QTR)
 
Bronze medal game:  Miami
 
Final:  New York
 
DFW did not win after all. 
 
Kansas City outplayed Houston for a Quarterfinal game.  🤬
 

 

Edited by steve1363
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...