Jump to content

The Vic At The Interpose: Multifamily At 1111 Shepherd Dr.


Ross

Recommended Posts

  • 2 months later...
On 1/23/2024 at 9:41 AM, springcityparts said:

Why doesn’t every new multi family include ground floor retail?


I'm not sure. Personally, I'd like to see ground floor retail included in multi-family developments.

Food and beverage tenant-wise, I don't think Tin Drum brings in much foot traffic or diners. With Dripped Birria signing on, that may change. Of course, some customers may be deterred by the parking garage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TacoDog said:

I'm not sure where the parking garage even is when I drive past on either Shepherd or Durham. I think it does inhibit business a bit.

It's on Center.

 

On 1/25/2024 at 6:54 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:


I'm not sure. Personally, I'd like to see ground floor retail included in multi-family developments.

Food and beverage tenant-wise, I don't think Tin Drum brings in much foot traffic or diners. With Dripped Birria signing on, that may change. Of course, some customers may be deterred by the parking garage.

Tin Drum unfortunately looks like a bust. Took forever to move in and I don't see folks inside when I've driven by, especially during popular hours. Part of me thinks the parking was a problem, another part questions if there's just too many casual asian restaurants in the area.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TacoDog said:

I'm not sure where the parking garage even is when I drive past on either Shepherd or Durham. I think it does inhibit business a bit.


Maybe some people aren't aware of the garage location at The Vic at Interpose. It's possible. There are also some who don't like to pay to park their car in a garage.

I don't know if there is paid parking or not, I have yet to visit any of the businesses there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, AS_ said:

Tin Drum unfortunately looks like a bust. Took forever to move in and I don't see folks inside when I've driven by, especially during popular hours. Part of me thinks the parking was a problem, another part questions if there's just too many casual asian restaurants in the area.



I don't think Tin Drum will last much longer at The Vic at Interpose, unfortunately.

Although I've never visited, online reviews of the restaurant's Houston location don't do much to make me want to try it. There are too many nearby restaurants with similar dishes that are better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tin Drum is a chain from Atlanta.  They have about a dozen location in and around ATL and they are pretty popular.  I would not expect this location to shut down just because some yelpers don't like it and they don't have a line around the corner.  With these chain concepts, they will often have to operate at a loss in a new market for a while just so they can get a foothold and continue to expand in the new market.  Tin Drum is basically a slightly more authentic fast pan Asian food than Pei Wei.  It is designed to go into strip malls in the burbs and not meant to wow the foodies.  Similar chain concepts are going in all over the greater Heights, whether they be a salad concept or whatever.  They are just looking for market share as they expand out nationally.  Hopefully there will be enough new retail square footage in the Heights that there will be plenty of room for creative new local concepts to find spots among the regional and national chains and franchises.  Even with high rents, the kind of business places like Boomtown, Rice Box, Tony's Gold Tooth and Burger Joint do make it possible for good local concepts to thrive in the high rent environment.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, s3mh said:

Tin Drum is a chain from Atlanta.  They have about a dozen location in and around ATL and they are pretty popular.  I would not expect this location to shut down just because some yelpers don't like it and they don't have a line around the corner.  With these chain concepts, they will often have to operate at a loss in a new market for a while just so they can get a foothold and continue to expand in the new market.  Tin Drum is basically a slightly more authentic fast pan Asian food than Pei Wei.  It is designed to go into strip malls in the burbs and not meant to wow the foodies.  Similar chain concepts are going in all over the greater Heights, whether they be a salad concept or whatever.  They are just looking for market share as they expand out nationally.  Hopefully there will be enough new retail square footage in the Heights that there will be plenty of room for creative new local concepts to find spots among the regional and national chains and franchises.  Even with high rents, the kind of business places like Boomtown, Rice Box, Tony's Gold Tooth and Burger Joint do make it possible for good local concepts to thrive in the high rent environment.  



Yes, I'm aware Tin Drum is a chain and is from Atlanta. I'm also quite aware they're popular in that region with several locations. However, as seen in the Houston market time and time again, restaurants that do very well in other regions  often fail here.

Sure, there are various factors at play: A business may not appeal to a wide range of customers, it may not find its footing in a new market fast enough, quality and presentation isn't the same as other locations, and a host of other reasons. And while it's true, I've never dined at the Houston location and read the reviews, I still think Tin Drum won't have much longevity in Houston.

Tin Drum only opened around five months ago, so it's still finding it's footing and customers. The menu and concept are similar to Cava but centered on Pan-Asian fare. It's a concept that is inviting and familiar. Still, I don't think the restaurant is well known enough outside its Georgia market to draw people to this particular Houston location. I think if it were located in a busier retail development somewhere else in Houston with ample surface parking, I could see this restaurant doing very well. It could also do well in the suburbs like Texas City, Cypress, Fulshear, Baytown, or Jersey Village to name a few. But this location in The Vic at Interpose? I have a hard time seeing this making it two years there.

If I'm remembering correctly, the Houston outpost is a franchised location. And if I recall, the franchisee signed up to open five locations in the Greater Houston area. I have not come across anything indicating another Houston area location in the works. Usually, once the first franchise is up and running, the second and third locations aren't too far behind. There hasn't been any recent reporting or filings indicating leases for additional Houston outposts, so far (though, that doesn't mean leases haven't been signed, if there are still plans for more locations.)

Dripped Birria, on the other hand, has a local presence and following. Even with the location and parking, their customers are going to support them. They'll likely do well here. But I do think they're opening too many locations in a short amount of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/12/2024 at 2:33 PM, AS_ said:

Drove by this a few times over the weekend it looks like Tin Drum threw in the towel, lights were off both Friday and Saturday nights during dinner hour.



Based on recently purchased permits, it appears the unit Tin Drum occupied at The Vic at Interpose is leased. 

Several sign-related permits were purchased yesterday for 1111 Shepherd Dr, Suite 100:
 

  • Sign site inspection
  • Sign plan review



Details from the permit:

  • Use: New wall 12 X 4 Turmeric; new wall 19 X 2 Turmeric
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration 


It appears a restaurant by the name of Turmeric is slated to open at 1111 Shepherd Dr, Ste 100. I don't know the kind of restaurant this will be. It could be an Indian restaurant. There's an Indian eatery out in Katy with the same name. I don't know if the two are related.



Sign site inspection

SS0kcJ8.png




Sign plan review

oKs38xk.png

3n1Ojqi.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It appears there is another new ground floor retail tenant heading to The Vic at Interpose.

A duplicate certificate of occupancy or change of owner was purchased yesterday for Cloud Ponics. It's a store selling THCA products. There are several outposts in the Houston area. Cloud Ponics is leasing the unit at 1111 Shepherd Dr, Suite 600.


Details from the permit:

Use: 1,000 sf retail buildout 1-1-1-M-A '15 IBC Spk/Fa
FCC Group: Non-residential alteration 


qscIqEj.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2024 at 11:27 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Based on recently purchased permits, it appears the unit Tin Drum occupied at The Vic at Interpose is leased. 

Several sign-related permits were purchased yesterday for 1111 Shepherd Dr, Suite 100:
 

  • Sign site inspection
  • Sign plan review



Details from the permit:

  • Use: New wall 12 X 4 Turmeric; new wall 19 X 2 Turmeric
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration 


It appears a restaurant by the name of Turmeric is slated to open at 1111 Shepherd Dr, Ste 100. I don't know the kind of restaurant this will be. It could be an Indian restaurant. There's an Indian eatery out in Katy with the same name. I don't know if the two are related.



Sign site inspection

SS0kcJ8.png




Sign plan review

oKs38xk.png

3n1Ojqi.png




Several occupancy permits were purchased yesterday for 1111 Shepherd Dr, Suite 100:
 

  • 1 story occupancy inspection permit
  • Certificate of occupancy permit



Listed as the occupant is Turmeric Indian Cuisine, confirming this is the same restaurant in Katy.


Additional details from the permits:

  • Use: Nc / restaurant / 3,200 sf / 1-1-1-a2-a '12 IBC 100% Spk / 21070390
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration 



Turmeric is taking over Tin Drum's former space in The Vic at Interpose.




1 story occupancy inspection permit

tyCEhGI.png



Certificate of occupancy permit

4yHORkX.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...