Federal Reserve Bank Of Dallas Houston Branch At 1801 Allen Pkwy.

JoshuaJP

I have to admit that when I first moved here I thought that building was some kind of huge day-care, youth facility, or community center. I never would have thought it was the Federal Reserve Bank. Glad to hear that it is much nicer on the inside though.

I agree with everyone. I was repulsed by the curb appeal. Appears as one of my completed LEGO buildings as a child. I wanted to emphasize how beautiful it is inside though. The views from the balconies (on all sides of the building) are fantastic! The place is somewhat of a Fort Knox as security is quite serious. I imagine because of the loot that's stored within. Ok better stop I've revealed too much! :ph34r::P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It looks like a cartoon reinterpretation of a Beaux-Arts government building.

I was going to get out my old Legos and build a miniature.

What I think is hilarious is this is under Crater Houston as if someone would actually demolish this building. That's a riot! :lol: Must have cost a fortune. I doubt they would even consider just because the public disagrees with the look. I'm afraid we will just have to shut our eyes as we drive past. Pass out the Maalox.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
I agree with everyone. I was repulsed by the curb appeal. Appears as one of my completed LEGO buildings as a child. I wanted to emphasize how beautiful it is inside though. The views from the balconies (on all sides of the building) are fantastic! The place is somewhat of a Fort Knox as security is quite serious. I imagine because of the loot that's stored within. Ok better stop I've revealed too much! :ph34r::P

Yeah, the blue lines in the brick remind me of Duplo blocks. And damn if it doesn't really stand out every time I drive down Allen parkway. I thought that residential complex next to the old Sears was obnoxious, but this place (with the huge eagle) is really in-your-face.

I'm glad we got a Fed building and all, but I still think it's odd that they chose to put it on Allen Parkway and not in downtown where everything else is. Or hell, put it in the Galleria.

edit

Someone should find a way to sneak some red LEDs into the eagle's eyes. Now that would be awesome.

Edited by SirTonk
  • Like 1

I have always said I love the Fed Bank. Some people in Houston has such tacky taste. I'm sure the people who hate it would probably love a spanish colonial with fake arches and a red tile roof. Here Houston gets a bona-fide piece of Architecture and they don't like it? Maybe they should have hired a draftsman to design it!

• Like 1

I have always said I love the Fed Bank. Some people in Houston has such tacky taste. I'm sure the people who hate it would probably love a spanish colonial with fake arches and a red tile roof. Here Houston gets a bona-fide piece of Architecture and they don't like it? Maybe they should have hired a draftsman to design it!

Can the public go in that place? Like, to cash a check or something.

• Like 1

Can the public go in that place? Like, to cash a check or something.

The red LED lights in the eagles eyes comment craked me up by the way.

This place is hard core security. I do not think its open to the public as the norm. I was lucky enough to be there for a gala several months ago, otherwise I probably wouldnt have set foot inside of the place.

As I mentionend earlier, the inside of this building is beautiful and offers excellent views all around. Would be great for photographers to do pics of models with skyline in background. Serious.

On a brighter note, I was encouraged to come for scheduled tours they do offer.

No liguid items please. :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Houston Branch Renovations
  • The title was changed to Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Houston Branch Renovations
11 hours ago, Texasota said:

Michael Graves never should have been allowed to practice architecture. 

I wonder what is going on at the Federal Reserve Bank with the brick being removed.

Michael Graves, at that point in his career, was a design architect. Like Robert Venturi and Philip Johnson he came up with the concept and image. It was left to others to work out the details. This is why Philip Johnson, for example, teamed up with the office of John Burgee on many projects.

Some designers understand enough about the "nuts and bolts" of actual construction to avoid working against the reality of what can be reasonably accomplished. Other times the technical architects and engineers are pushed into a very tight situation that manifest in latent problems.

That building honestly looks like a greatly scaled up version of the elementary school I attended in the early 1990s.

IMO that sort of architecture is sort of okay when it's obvious that the goal is to turn a utilitarian building(like a public school) into something that's at least somewhat architecturally pleasing. Like with post modernism, you could take a box with square windows, then add some brick and awnings or whatever and change the window tint color and voila now its "architecture".

But its just weird to design a monumental structure like that.

• The title was changed to Federal Reserve Bank Of Dallas Houston Branch
  • The title was changed to Federal Reserve Bank Of Dallas Houston Branch At 1801 Allen Pkwy.