Rita

RedScare

Also....does anyone know where I can look online at a map showing the boundaries of 100-year floodplains?

Tropical Storm Allison Recovery Project - TSARP

TSARP's mission is to assist residents of Harris County in recovery from Tropical

Storm Allison and minimize damages from future floods by investigating the ...

www.tsarp.org

Their server seems to be taking a beating at the moment though. There is an "Interactive Map Tool" on there that will let you zoom in on an address. It also shows the 500 yr floodplain boundaires.

Todd

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, excuse my ignorance here, but if you live in an area that is NOT shaded on the Emergency Management maps as being an evacuation zone, doesn't that mean that you do not need to evacuate?

Which means, in turn, that basically all of inner-loop Houston and the western side of Houston should just stay-put and ride the storm out? If so, then I don't understand why so many people are running around so scared.

Also....does anyone know where I can look online at a map showing the boundaries of 100-year floodplains?

thinking like that could be a very critical mistake for a number of reasons...first of all, it is next to impossible to know for sure how storms will react upon impact and then the amount of rain and where all the worst rainfall will be winds...etc. secondly these zones have sharp boundaries such as a highway or whatnot, usually these are set so that the boundary is already in an area that would be somewhat in the clear but they just extend it to make sure everyone in that area is safe...but we all know that the distance over one street or county is not going to have a different experience than on the other side...basically im saying to expect the worst. prepare prepare prepare. if the storm hits further south or weakens enough than thank God, but always be prepared for the worst and make multiple plans for whatever you do...you can never be too prepared

The discussion on Rita suggests that the wind speed may be 160 knots, or 184 mph. The pressure is already down to 897 mb, 3rd stronget hurricane in Atlantic history...in keeping with Houston's quest to be the biggest and best at everything.

Katrina dropped to 902 mb at it's strongest.

Archived