Rita

RedScare

I hate to say this but I hope instead of messing up more areas, I hope it hits the same spot as Katrina that why there will really be no major loss.

If you guys think about Houston/Galveston will lose Kehma, the new Shliterbhan, much of Galveston, and damage all over. You guys must have already forgot what Alican did to the city.

I was just watching FoxNews and they had someone on there that said this could be much worst than what happened to New Orleans. They had someone on there that said Houston is much higher in elevation than New Orleans, but areas like Baytown where oil is being pumped out elevation has sunk from where it was to about 15 feet lower.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahahahaha! Some dumbass on fox news just said, "Houston mayor George Brown will be holding a press conference on hurricane rita". . . At least with all the recent press we've been getting, Houston, Texas has almost finally become just Houston. . . either that or they're just lazy. . .

Ahahahaha! Some dumbass on fox news just said, "Houston mayor George Brown will be holding a press conference on hurricane rita". . . At least with all the recent press we've been getting, Houston, Texas has almost finally become just Houston. . . either that or they're just lazy. . .

I was thinking the samething, why do they say Houston, Texas? Why not just Houston?

They always just say Dallas, or Los Angeles, or New York, Chicago, Atlanta but never just Houston.

What is with that? Why don't people know Houston as big as it is?

If Rita hits the Houston area, how bad do you think it will hurt the economy? Alician was just a tropical storm and it caused 5 billion worth of damage, how much will Rita be? Are you guys worried about the Houston area and how people could say "I am leaving the area for good."?

It will DESTROY the economy.

It will cost ONE TRILLION dollars of damage.

People will FLEE and the city will be completely DESERTED FOREVER. :o

[i recieved this information directly from the dish just before he ran away with the spoon.]

"A little levity in a bad situation never hurts."

B)

It will DESTROY the economy.

It will cost ONE TRILLION dollars of damage.

People will FLEE and the city will be completely DESERTED FOREVER. :o

[i recieved this information directly from the dish just before he ran away with the spoon.]

"A little levity in a bad situation never hurts."

B)

i don't think it's that bad but oil has already hit $68/barrel this a.m. no need to panic just yet, but this could be the storm of the century ... and we're just getting started.

I was thinking the samething, why do they say Houston, Texas? Why not just Houston?

They always just say Dallas, or Los Angeles, or New York, Chicago, Atlanta but never just Houston.

What is with that? Why don't people know Houston as big as it is?

Because they think people may confuse Houston, Tx. with Houston, Pa.; pop. 1,862?

B)

The mayor had a press conference about 2hrs ago and directed folks who live within the storm surge area or within the 100 year flood plane to leave. He directed everyone the the Harris County Office of Emergency management website for maps and detail. Unfortunatley the SITE DOES NOT WORK. Is the the beginning of the government Screw-ups associated with Rita? We shall see.

Check out the discussion on the storm.

Hurricane RITA Discussion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home Public Adv Fcst/Adv Discussion Strike Probs Wind Probs Maps/Charts Archive

US Watch/Warning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTNT43 KNHC 211447

TCDAT3

HURRICANE RITA DISCUSSION NUMBER 16

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

11 AM EDT WED SEP 21 2005

THE RECONNAISSANCE PLANE WILL NOT BE IN THE AREA OF RITA UNTIL LATER

THIS MORNING. HOWEVER...SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT THE CLOUD

PATTERN IS TYPICAL OF AN INTENSE HURRICANE WITH A CLEAR EYE

SURROUNDED BY VERY DEEP CONVECTION. INITIAL INTENSITY IS ADJUSTED

UPWARD TO 120 KNOTS AT THIS TIME. HOWEVER...OBJECTIVE T-NUMBERS FROM

BOTH TAFB AND THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN CIMSS ARE PEAKING NEAR

7.0 ON THE DVORAK SCALE...SUGGESTING WINDS OF NEAR 140 KNOTS. I

WILL WAIT FOR THE PLANE TO REACH RITA TO INCREASE THE WINDS

FURTHER...IF NECESSARY. THE ENVIRONMENT IS CONDUCIVE FOR

STRENGTHENING AND RITA...AS KATRINA DID...WILL BE CROSSING THE LOOP

CURRENT OR AN AREA OF HIGH HEAT CONTENT WITHIN THE NEXT 12 HOURS OR

SO. THIS WOULD AID THE INTENSIFICATION PROCESS. THEREAFTER...THE

INTENSITY WILL BE CONTROLLED BY CHANGES IN THE EYEWALL WHICH ARE

DIFFICULT TO PREDICT. THE HEAT CONTENT IN THE WESTERN GULF OF

MEXICO IS NOT AS FAVORABLE AS IN THE AREA OF THE LOOP CURRENT SO

SLIGHT WEAKENING IS ANTICIPATED....BUT RITA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE

LANDFALL AS A MAJOR HURRICANE...AT LEAST CATEGORY THREE.

The numbers suggest 140 knots...161 mph.

Because they think people may confuse Houston, Tx. with Houston, Pa.; pop. 1,862?

B)

Could be that, or they may just like the way 'Houston, Texas' rolls off the tongue.

The mayor had a press conference about 2hrs ago and directed folks who live within the storm surge area or within the 100 year flood plane to leave. He directed everyone the the Harris County Office of Emergency management website for maps and detail. Unfortunatley the SITE DOES NOT WORK. Is the the beginning of the government Screw-ups associated with Rita? We shall see.

i noticed that the site was down too ... seems like some pages load, some do not ... i was thinking it was more of an overload issue as i am sure many people are hitting the site and the server prolly fried.

and could someone PLEASE teach them some basic web design and site navigation best practices. it is horribly designed.

Here's the official map from the texas Division of Emergency Management

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/dem/hurricane.htm

Click on Galveston.

Okay, excuse my ignorance here, but if you live in an area that is NOT shaded on the Emergency Management maps as being an evacuation zone, doesn't that mean that you do not need to evacuate?

Which means, in turn, that basically all of inner-loop Houston and the western side of Houston should just stay-put and ride the storm out? If so, then I don't understand why so many people are running around so scared.

Also....does anyone know where I can look online at a map showing the boundaries of 100-year floodplains?

Archived