Sharpstown Mall/PlazAmericas At 7500 Bellaire Blvd.

swzine

It's also laughable that the mall does nothing to attract the aging white population of the Sharpstown area, who are the ones with the most money to spend.

Despite this segment's ability to spend, they are one of the most likely not to spend much. They already have most of what they need/want and are not likely to make a lot of purchases in any mall (relative to younger people).

I don't think it is a bad idea for the mall's owner to target a young, minority consumer as long as the mall is kept safe and clean. The former "white" clientele can journey to newer, further-out malls that may be more to their liking, or go intown to the Galleria, Rice Village, etc.

West Oaks is another mall that died....

First Colony to me ain't much to brag on...it's an updated Sharpstown and catered to the area...when it opened it never had much of an appeal

They can patch up Sharpstown Mall all they want and they can create as much hype as they want to lure people back, but all the king's horses and all the king's men couldnt help that dying horse in a million years.

Just needs to be torn down or have a freeway ramp plow right down the middle and put it out of it's misery. Lets capture this Kodak moment now and see what the results are in about 5 years. We should start a "crime meter" and tabulate how many robberies, shootings, car jackings, shoplifting, etc occurs from here on out and just wonder why we kept it going? Mark my word.

Like The Peanuts used to tell Snoopy's pal, Charlie Brown your hopeless...just hopeless.... :P

• 3 months later...

WOW, check out the Sharpstown Mall website! :o

I have never seen a website so animated and impressive as this.

I hope the webmaster got paid $$$ to make this site.

It is so much better than any other website I have seen. :rolleyes:

Way to promote the mall, Sharpstown managers! :lol:

Edited by Pumapayam

yikes - and some of it looks like it hasn't been updated since february or may - of who knows what year.

and the store listing only goes to the letter E...

They got lazy and stopped adding to the list.

Sad really, and they are getting paid to manage this place.

and the store listing only goes to the letter E...

That is a riot!

Reminds me of those old films where the person would be writing an SOS letter while dying of thirst in the desert and they finally kick the bucket and drop the pen mid-sentence. Gasp! gasp Rosebud!

In this case, a bullet probably grazed the persons head while updating the website, fled out the door while yelling at the top of his lungs, "That's it I've had enough! :lol:

First Colony to me ain't much to brag on...it's an updated Sharpstown and catered to the area...when it opened it never had much of an appeal

FCM is not in any way compared to Sharpstown. The main reason it did not have much of an appeal was because of the somewhat tepid retail market at the time as well as the fact that there were a sizable number of local businesses operating in the mall.

Now FCM has a more upscale tenant mix than it ever did before, and has the backing of a major mall owner (General Growth, which also owns the three "brook" malls and The Woodlands (mall and community, the latter of which came in a merger) + Bridgeland).

In fact, at one point FCM (1985 to be specific) was slated to be a suburban Galleria-esque mall before the oil bust took place. A Sugar Land historical publication circa 1984 also stated that the mall would have needed a people mover.

Why don't they just build a new "Sharpstown" Mall closer to where its target demographics are, so that they don't have to come from other parts of town? It would be my guess that blacks are less than 1/3 of the demographic makeup of the mall's 5 mile radius, yet the mall is mostly geared toward them. I like the mall's independent spirit of welcoming mom and pop stores, but as a white guy, I doubt there would be any stores that would be attractive to me if I lived in the area. It's also laughable that the mall does nothing to attract the aging white population of the Sharpstown area, who are the ones with the most money to spend.
The mall is close to it's target demographic. You being a "white guy," I'm certain you're not going to concern yourself with where the black folk are staying, so let me school you. Most of the patrons who come to Sharpstown are from Fondren SW, Corporate Dr, Club Creek, Woodfair/Forum Park, Spice Lane and a number of middle class neighborhoods with sizeable black populations. The balance comes from the other side of town on the 2 - Bellaire (a bus black people ride). Most of the people who utilize the mall live within a 5-10 mile radius of it. Where else do you suggest they place the mall?
They can patch up Sharpstown Mall all they want and they can create as much hype as they want to lure people back, but all the king's horses and all the king's men couldnt help that dying horse in a million years.Just needs to be torn down or have a freeway ramp plow right down the middle and put it out of it's misery. Lets capture this Kodak moment now and see what the results are in about 5 years. We should start a "crime meter" and tabulate how many robberies, shootings, car jackings, shoplifting, etc occurs from here on out and just wonder why we kept it going? Mark my word.Like The Peanuts used to tell Snoopy's pal, Charlie Brown your hopeless...just hopeless.... :P
Ha, clever. I have a question; do you even live by the mall or just resent it because it caters to an urban clientele?

The mall is close to it's target demographic. You being a "white guy," I'm certain you're not going to concern yourself with where the black folk are staying, so let me school you. Most of the patrons who come to Sharpstown are from Fondren SW, Corporate Dr, Club Creek, Woodfair/Forum Park, Spice Lane and a number of middle class neighborhoods with sizeable black populations. The balance comes from the other side of town on the 2 - Bellaire (a bus black people ride). Most of the people who utilize the mall live within a 5-10 mile radius of it.

wow, condescend much? lol

I just wish people wouldn't open mouth and insert foot. He's acting as if the "ghetto mall" was the blight of some white suburban utopia and pulls in the black, ghetto scum of Houston. The mall is in the correct place to draw it's unique clientele and there is no where else to place it. Even if there were; it's not even finacially feasible to relocate that sort of mall just so there'd be less black presence in the Sharpstown area.

You being a "white guy," I'm certain you're not going to concern yourself with where the black folk are staying, so let me school you.

PureAuteur is black from what I know, I could be wrong though he will be here shortly and answer the question. :):):) now lets sing that peace song ......

Edited by Marty

• 3 months later...
But I have not been near Valley View in at least ten years. I bet it's sketched out now.

I was there a couple months ago. The friend I was with really likes the AMC theater in there for some reason, but while we were there, someone stole his Porche brand valve stem caps. He was pissed.

As sad as it may be for the historic building this is something that needed to be done a long time ago. Sharpstown is pretty much in ruins around Bellaire Blvd. At the Hillcroft intersection there is a hugh population of illegal aliens and they opened a 24 hour check cashing place there not to long ago. Well, that area of Sharpstown is "safe" compared to the parts west of Hwy 59. I think the last time I set foot in the mall was early in 2003 when my uncle came to Houston after 20 years. He used to hang out in the mall as a college student cause it was the place to be in the late 70s and early 80s. The place was a shell of itself. Pretty much all of the better retailers have jumped ship and all that is left are "upscale" chinese made good emporiums.

Anyone know what moved into where JC Penny used to be?

I can recall my parents going there during Christmas in the early 80s to buy stuff. It used to be a very nice place during the Christmas season.

The last movie I saw there was in 1995 and I recall not wanting to leave my car in the then Foley's garage cause of all of the thugs around.

Of course, I will go to the liquidation sale at Macy's just to look around one last time.

IMHO, the entire mall should be razed and something like a gated community with 24 hour armed watchmen manning the gates needs to be built. The location is pretty good considering $3 gasoline and the nightmare commute times from new consturction past Hwy 6 on 59. If this development takes off then developers should start buying entire city blocks of the run down apartments to do the same. Maybe a mall can come back there after the criminals are run out.

It really started to look like the ghetto after Gillman Mitsubishi/Honda vacated and that entire lot was left with overgrown weeds and litter everywhere. I bet they were breaking into the cars at night to pay for crack over there. Gillman was on that land for about 56 years and owned it. The crime was so bad they chose to buy the expensive real estate at 59 and the beltway on a mortgage.

To quote Chris Rock: "There are malls that white people go to, and malls white people use to go to".

That is the reason why business is slow there. I used to go there in the late 80s and early 90s. It has become ghettoish now. Channel 11 mentioned it closing in their 6pm broadcast tonight. I still stop by there once so often when a big sale is on. You hardly see white folks there anymore, especially during the evening hours. You definitely don't want to stay too long in the Macy's parking lot after 7pm. Once you leave the store..you better hurry and find your parked car, get in and take off!

Edited by sifuwong

That is the reason why business is slow there. I used to go there in the late 80s and early 90s. It has become ghettoish now. Channel 11 mentioned it closing in their 6pm broadcast tonight. I still stop by there once so often when a big sale is on. You hardly see white folks there anymore, especially during the evening hours. You definitely don't want to stay too long in the Macy's parking lot after 7pm. Once you leave the store..you better hurry and find your parked car, get in and take off!

It's not that dramatic.

It's worse than he tells it. In the 80s the worst criminals in that area were teenage "thugs" that did stuff like break into cars and spray paint on buildings to act bad and be "cool". For the most part it was a safe place. These days that entire area is full of professional criminals, prostiution, drug activity, and full fledged gang members (international ones as well....plently of MS13 in Sharpstown).