Super Bowl

NewMND

Okay, so the Super Bowl revote for 2010 is in a couple weeks from now. It's between Miami, Atlanta, and Houston again. Most likely since Miami has it in 2007 and now Tampa in 2009, it won't return to Miami so soon, so this is most likely a competition between Atlanta and Houston. So my question is, with all the recent postive press Houston has been getting, and all the goodwill we've earned due to Hurricane Katrian, do you think Houston has a better chance now? The vote is early October, so everything Houston has done to help out the evacuees should still be fresh in people's mind, not that it was done for any longterm benefits, but I think it could help, but of course I don't know all the politics of the NFL, so I was wondering what other's thought.

From what I've heard from the Chronicle's John McClain, it was really the NFL internal politics among the owners and not really anything to do with Houston itself that kept us from getting the 2009 game. Texans owner Bob McNair is head of an owners committee that makes decisions around revenue sharing among teams. Some of the smaller market teams, supporting revenue sharing, have not gotten what they want and are apparently holding that against McNair in not voting for Houston. So this issue may still be in play for the 2010 vote. Atlanta didn't get the 2009 vote apparently because of the really bad stormy weather when they hosted a few years back. I guess something has gotta give on one of those two fronts. In terms of whether the Katrina goodwill will help Houston, I don't think it will do much but you never know. If it were actually New Orleans in the running maybe.

From what I've heard from the Chronicle's John McClain, it was really the NFL internal politics among the owners and not really anything to do with Houston itself that kept us from getting the 2009 game. Texans owner Bob McNair is head of an owners committee that makes decisions around revenue sharing among teams. Some of the smaller market teams, supporting revenue sharing, have not gotten what they want and are apparently holding that against McNair in not voting for Houston.  So this issue may still be in play for the 2010 vote. Atlanta didn't get the 2009 vote apparently because of the really bad stormy weather when they hosted a few years back. I guess something has gotta give on one of those two fronts. In terms of whether the Katrina goodwill will help Houston, I don't think it will do much but you never know. If it were actually New Orleans in the running maybe.

McNair seems to believe Katrina may be a factor

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3357704

The only way Houston can lose is if the low-revenue owners are extremely weak amd jealous of our revenue. Don't hate Houston because we're successful.

Remember, those are the same damn owners that were pushing the new NFL team to go to L.A. instead of Houston. They probably think L.A. deserves the next team more than San Antonio even though S.A. already built a dome in their city for an NFL team to call home <_<

And by 2010 the downtown Pavillions and Boulvard Place could be built by then, hopefully, along with who knows what else.  But if this revenue sharing this is as big a issue it seems, then I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Don't forget about the Astrodome Hotel, either :-)

If high revenue is the reason why Houston may not get the next Super Bowl, do we really have a chance at EVER hosting a Super Bowl again?

• 3 weeks later...

If the decision had been based on the belief that Miami is a better event city than Houston, which it probably is, I could have lived with this. But the fact that it probably has more to do with politics between the owners is too discouraging to put into words.

Man, listen. The reason why Miami won cause Houston is a high revenue team in the NFL. The owners didn't want all the money going to Houston, so they awarded Miami.

Houston can host any event like any other city in America, even better. Hell, we got the Houston Pavilions coming up, and even the Astrodome hotel and convention entertainment facility coming up also.

This is really a bunch of bullshit!

I also strongly know that all these low revenue teams need to stop hatting on Houston.

Come on, like Miami isn't a high revenue team? They are not like NY, Dallas, and some others but that city does pretty well with revenue too. I'm sure McNair isn't the "only" owner they have a problem with, but I guess he is the only owner bidding for a Superbowl other than Miami that has good revenue. I don't know what McNair did - but it must have pissed a lot of people off.

Yeah, he's part of some revenue committee.

By the way--McNair isn't being greedy about the revenue. Apparently (according to Sport Radio 610), the smalleer owners don't agree with McNair b/c here he is the new guy--and he wants to keep business as usual--some revenue sharing through licensing, etc.

What the smaller owners want is for the bigger owners to even share their stadium revenue. For instance, if Reliant has 100 luxury boxes sold, then the owner in say, Buffalo (who has sold all 50 of his boxes) believes that Houston should share the wealth made of its stadium since his can't do what Houston's did even if he wanted to do. I actually think it's pretty wrong. Worse yet, if I'm my favorite team (the Panthers btw) and I own my stadium (like the Panthers do as well as the Patriots), why should I have to give my money into the pot b/c I thought to put 75 suites my stadium but you could only ransom 62 from the local government's publicly built stadium.

Super Bowl or no Super Bowl, a resort and tourist area in Houston would be a great asset to l;ure events like the Super Bowl out of Florida and back into the city that's hosted the best one the NFL's ever seen.

One more thing. We have a HUGE chance at getting the 2011 Super Bowl. Dallas may get it in 2011 or 2012, and it's obvious now that hosting the Bowl in the Same state consecutively is not a factor!

Moving on is a good idea about the 2009 and 2010 Super Bowls, since we can't change anything about that. However, we CAN do something about the following years' games. Here's to hoping that by 2015 our transportation system will be greatly improved by more access to rail and I also think that new attractions such as the Astrodome project will help us in the "attractiveness" category.

I also think that other improvements by then such as more progress on the Buffalo bayou plan and the completion of the new downtown mega-park will also help us out!

Then again, it won't matter if Huizinga is offering each owner his own cruise ship by then.

Nevermind the fact that Dolphins Stadium is a LONG way from DT Miami and South Beach.

Moving on is a good idea about the 2009 and 2010 Super Bowls, since we can't change anything about that. However, we CAN do something about the following years' games. Here's to hoping that by 2015 our transportation system will be greatly improved by more access to rail and I also think that new attractions such as the Astrodome project will help us in the "attractiveness" category.

I also think that other improvements by then such as more progress on the Buffalo bayou plan and the completion of the new downtown mega-park will also help us out!

Then again, it won't matter if Huizinga is offering each owner his own cruise ship by then.

Nevermind the fact that Dolphins Stadium is a LONG way from DT Miami and South Beach.

If it was really about ammenities, transportation, hotel room availability, and potential audience size the Super Bowl would be in New York or LA every year.

If it was really about ammenities, transportation, hotel room availability, and potential audience size the Super Bowl would be in New York or LA every year.

Can't have it in New York, inclimate weather.They were gonna get it, if they had gotten the olympics there, because they were gonna build a new Dome stadium. As far as L.A. , well, it's L.A. and there could be an Earthquake. The only stadium to hold it would be Olympic stadium, and the seats are horrible. San Diego got the Super Bowl one year, I don't know why they can't get it back. I personally think it is all about the owners, and Miami is just a good time for them down there. :D

I personally think it is all about the owners, and Miami is just a good time for them down there.

They should just build a big giant stadium in Las Vegas and alternate the Super Bowl every year between Vegas and Miami, I'm sure that would make the owners happy.

Archived