La Colombe d'Or Hotel At 3410 Montrose Blvd.

Urbannizer

The view of this thing from the 59 SB entrance from 45 S is amazing. There's a second where all these new towers frame the Williams in the far distance. The medium density in Midtown is truly a site to behold as a foreground, because this is what Houston looks like now. Design wise it's nothing super hot or fresh, but it's just the right kind of infill. 

• Like 9

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was confused too....haha but it is just a room they meant apparently! love that they are keeping the old original hotel/building...cannot wait to be able to go check it out when open! 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 8:01 AM, Montrose1100 said:

The view of this thing from the 59 SB entrance from 45 S is amazing. There's a second where all these new towers frame the Williams in the far distance. The medium density in Midtown is truly a site to behold as a foreground, because this is what Houston looks like now. Design wise it's nothing super hot or fresh, but it's just the right kind of infill. 

That new ramp might be my new favorite view of the Houston skylines. Downtown has such a massive presence to the right. To the left is so much new infill inside the loop, and now there's basically a row of new 30-40 story buildings on the W. Alabama corridor between Montrose and Weslayan with Transco and the Galleria area looming in the background. A little building behind building action going on there. Also great views of the TMC, the Museum District and of course the density in Midtown you're talking about. Whatever comes after "beast mode," Houston is heading that direction.

• Like 5

On 7/18/2020 at 8:59 PM, db650 said:

Nice but looks so similar to neighboring Hanover. A little strange to have this be the site of a classic French inn too.

I love this building’s classic look. It’s Handsome and Solid! The architect was intentional in trying to avoid a total clash with the existing tower but don’t let that one angle in the last photo fool you, it’s far different from the Hanover next door.

The best part is no 2  sides of this building look exactly alike. 

Edited by Stone
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

with light rail not being approved in this area it was smart of them to institute that catapult...once the rubber bands are attached to those metal rigs you will be able to propel from the pool to any destination in houston speedily and with almost near precision... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 1:18 PM, hindesky said:

KcbD4q1.jpg

I'll say this... as one of the original "preservation twins"... I would trade that old mansion for a stately midrise with some GFR. Something about 8 stories, tall enough to cover up that parking garage. Its time has come and it looks ridiculous sitting there. No need to demolish, just move it somewhere else.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I'll say this... as one of the original "preservation twins"... I would trade that old mansion for a stately midrise with some GFR. Something about 8 stories, tall enough to cover up that parking garage. Its time has come and it looks ridiculous sitting there. No need to demolish, just move it somewhere else.

I have wanted to say that so badly, but thankfully you said it first and have more "reputation points" than me to deflect any bullets ;)

If you didn't know the significance of the building and the fact it is owned by the same people behind the high-rise, a passerby would immediately think some old lady refused to sell her home and stuck it to the developer, a la the old man in "Up".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, mls1202 said:

I have wanted to say that so badly, but thankfully you said it first and have more "reputation points" than me to deflect any bullets ;)

If you didn't know the significance of the building and the fact it is owned by the same people behind the high-rise, a passerby would immediately think some old lady refused to sell her home and stuck it to the developer, a la the old man in "Up".

Haha thanks, I don't know how many "reputation points" I have, they certainly haven't deflected too many bullets...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Haha thanks, I don't know how many "reputation points" I have, they certainly haven't deflected too many bullets...

As of this writing, you have 4,705.  With that level, you can recommend demolishing the Menil, Williams Tower, the BOA Center (heck, even a Whataburger) and receive polite discourse.

I have 337.

I can barely recommend demolishing a Citgo gas station...

Edited by mls1202
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

the portion of the tower that has the name on it perhaps should have been done in the same brick/brick color as the original building tying them together better maybe? i think that is the only thing bothering my mild OCD haha...

• Like 1