Avondale Promenade Park At 424 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

i think with this covid mess they probably thought best not to attract a crowd of any kind, so therefore no attention brought to the opening which is a shame...but yeah i like the park! it is fun to see that in the middle of all the buildings along westheimer and hope it is put to good use! :)

• Like 2

I went to the park today and set on the low brick  wall. A treat as I am entering day 6 with NO water..........you take precautions for unpredictable events.........but at the end of your efforts a one hundred year old house has it’s secret pratfalls.....much like the quotation “ when men make plans-God laughs”. My old house must have giggled greatly at the effort we took to prevent the pipes from freezing.” But frozen they were and now even on  a Sunday, the plumber has come to fix them.

At the park the “thingy” I mistook for a marquee sign is just the shiny back of the electrical box installation.From a distance it looks like a modern big screen TV. I wonder if that space might find a better use for a snippet of history or poetry.

None of the COH park rules are installed so children come with their small “leg powered” scooters and use the new smooth sidewalks.

All the new plants are frozen and perhaps lost. 
I have written a few COH members suggesting a wildflower butterfly sanctuary planting, might be a positive effort and also good PR in a city that seems not to have enough positive PR.

The memorial monuments aren’t installed although I saw the finished stones  laying on the grass last month.

All in all all those- it is lovely and peaceful, Iam so grateful for this bit of green reverie within Montrose.

• Like 4

On 12/22/2020 at 8:22 AM, trymahjong said:

The park is great but I feel COH is a bit short sighted in what was planted and missed an opportunity.

Planting small  Texas native - butterfly/ bee friendly - flowers wouldn’t have required much more that rain water. At the time I was ignorant of that of that possibility.But after setting up my own Texas Native plants butterfly garden.......I’m wondering what’s  the penalty for guerrilla  butterfly gardening in public parks?🤔

Probably no guerilla activity necessary.  Check with your city council member or the Parks Dept directly.  I think the city welcomes that but they'll want to designate where it goes.  My HOA maintains maybe as many as 8 'beds' along S. Braeswood from Brays Bayou Dr. to Gessner with volunteers.  One woman spent hundreds of dollars on plantings and untold hours on maintenance.  I gave a bunch of plants and went once a week to water during the drought with a trunk full of plastic jugs of water filled from my outdoor faucets.  I wanted to give a lot more and add some outside the designated areas but she said that was a no-no.

Sounds like a great project to me.  I need to get back to that neighborhood with some time to look around.

• Like 1

I will write to my councilwoman again.
I am checking to see what COH penalty is for guerilla plantings ( short booming plants) at base of stop signs in my own neighborhood. 😊Maybe beautification will follow, or rumors of something “beautiful and secretive” going on that will bring the curious to my neighborhood and perhaps the bars and restaurants will get more business because of it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a commemorative plaque. 
I don’t promote myself as a witness to what happened to all those souls during the last 50+ years but I was here for the last 15 and agreed that a memorial would bea good thing. A place to visit  and reflect.

I have attended so many community meeting that concerned the idea of a memorial; so many starts and stops..

Ideas like a plaque in the backyard of Mary’s before it was razed.

I viewed the drawings for a memorial on the median at Waugh and California

I listened to an idea of writing the developer where 1/2 Price Books stood to dedicate a small corner of Land for memorial as the whole lot was redeveloped.

There was another small corner at California and Grant, where remembrance flowers could be placed during pride week; now gone to development.

I guess I bring this up because it took so long and I knew the community needed it.

i ‘m so glad it’s here for us now.

78D889E3-22DD-4C43-AB65-817D3E032374.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Ceremony postponed because of weather

In the immortal words of Roseanne Roseannadanna:
"It just goes to show you, it's always something - if it's not one thing, it's another."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So COH did post new dedication date—— July 1

However at this point, you wonder why COH doesn’t sent a really nice green plant to be placed at the gazebo, and a really big  plywood dedication card............it could save some poor ole communication person a lot of headache with all the posting then postponing then reposting thenrepostponing  then.........🙃

• Like 2

• The title was changed to New Park/Green Space At 424 Westheimer Rd.
  • The title was changed to Avondale Promenade Park At 424 Westheimer Rd.
  • 4 months later...