Camp Logan Information & Developments

dthunter

Is anyone familiar with the Camp Logan area? I am wondering about the possibility of finding townhomes for around 200K in that area. Is this possible? Mostly what I have found is about 300k and up. There are some great looking properties in that area, though.

IN 2004 you could find some in the 220 range, but they faced Wescot.

Even though they sell that area as Camp Logan, it sure does not feel like the real thing.

But yes, there sure are some beautys inside near the curve.

I drove around that area and Rice Military this weekend and all I can say is wow. That place is way too dense. The streets are overly crowded, the drainage looks questionable and the streets are too narrow. I also saw a ton of property for sale.

I almost bought over there a few years back but decided on Midtown / Montrose. I am pretty happy I did.

Any residents who want to discuss. I would love to get an insiders opinion of the area. Maybe the areas I hit (betweend Westcott and Sheppard and I-10 and Washinton) were not the places I should have been looking.

My father moved into Rice Military (on Asbury right off Washington) back in 1994 when the area was VERY "transitional", and sold his home about 2 years ago. He cited the same things; taxes were getting way out of hand and the area was becoming much too congested for his tastes.

For a while he thought people would come in and renovate a lot of the older homes, giving it a more neighborhood feel. But before he knew it, townhomes were popping up everywhere.

The area is nice and walkable (even with the lack of sidewalks), but doesn't have a neighborhood vibe. You don't see many families walking down the street. It is nice being close to Memorial Park though.

I'm no Realtor, but I'd imagine you'd be hard pressed to find something in the low 200's at this point. Last time I checked, prices were in the 300-400's. I honestly think the area's overpriced, but by all means draw your own conclusions.

BTW, they just demolished his 1927 bungalow where they're pouring the foundation for 2 new townhomes. You might want to check those out, but I'd imagine they're going to be in the 400's. 616 Asbury.

The destruction of the Camp Logan/Rice Military bungalow neighborhoods is one of the saddest chapters in a sad history for our city's neighborhoods. Why is it that in a city already notorious for its quality of life, even the few nice things we do have are destroyed?

"To those who have, more will be given, and to those who have not, even what they have will be taken away."

It's the gospel truth: this city can't win with historic neighborhoods.

H-town Man...

I tend to disagree when talking about Rice Military/Cottage Grove/Camp Logan, as far as tearing down the bungalows.... most if not nearly all of these bungalows were very run down and neglected.... few are/were worth saving...

this is in stark contrast to the Heights/Sunset Heights/Woodland Heights area where most of the bungalows are in acceptable to very good condition...

^^

Agree very much.

And also, I see a lot people walking in there area in the aftenoons down the street. I see some families, but most people in the area the standard single, young couples, and empty nesters. Give it some time and families will show up.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello all - I own a renovated 2 BR / 2BA / 2 car o'sized garage house in the Norhill section. I'm considering buying another house or townhome and renting my house out as I have a very good 30 yr mtg (5.125) and I believe the Norhill area will continue to appreciate. I'm looking at either buying something in Timbergrove, another bungalow or possibly something in the Feagan or Camp Logan area.

However nice a 375K Townhome might be, I'm concerned about the oversupply of these things as development continues. On the other hand, I think the Feagan and to a higher degree, the Camp Logan area will always have a certain attraction to it as they are close to Mem Park.

What advice or comments does anyone have about this area and the potential resale of a townhome in that area?

I'm looking to buy more real estate and while I will be meeting with my CPA to look at the financial upsides, I think this forum always has some great insight!

Thanks,

Mike

I am a real estate agent and can say that a single-family home is a better investment than a townhome. There are fewer buyers interested in townhomes, and there is no end to the increasing supply of townhomes. Supply and demand is what determines value.

I am a real estate agent and can say that a single-family home is a better investment than a townhome. There are fewer buyers interested in townhomes, and there is no end to the increasing supply of townhomes. Supply and demand is what determines value.

I tend to agree. With very few exceptions, single family homes just aren't built in the inner city anymore. With a fixed/diminishing supply and a growing population (demand) for this kind of product, you can expect prices to rise as long as interest rates don't spike at some point down the line.

Supply and demand is what determines value.

It's getting to be where location is the real mover of town homes.

At any rate, you can still make more money investing in the stock market than having a couple of houses.

Now when you start to have dozens of houses things change.

It's getting to be where location is the real mover of town homes.

At any rate, you can still make more money investing in the stock market than having a couple of houses.

Now when you start to have dozens of houses things change.

Bear in mind...the stock market is a risky place. The price of homes in Houston, TX, on the other hand...not so much.

My understanding is that once you've got more than about five houses, you can treat them more like a decentralized apartment complex and can get a management company to lease them out and maintain them for between 5% and 10% of revenues depending upon the particular type of housing that you own.

Slumlording, for example, can be extremely lucrative, but carries up to a 10% fee from the management company.

So they said in the 80s....

...and they were mistaken.

I would submit to you, however, that our economy has since gone through a period of diversification made possible by the extraordinarily low overhead costs that were brought about by such high office vacancy rates that were caused by the energy bust of the 1980's.

That is not to say that we'd be immune to another energy bust (and we are also no longer immune to national recessions), but the volatility inherent to either case is at least somewhat diminished.

In the stock market, on the other hand...all bets are off. You have absolutely no way of knowing whether one of your larger bets will tomorrow face charges of accounting fraud.

Huh? Did you even live here then?

1000s upon 1000s of forclosures. Hard to lease a place when everyone leaves town.

And I am not talking about stock purchases only, but a mix of funds.

You'd be amazed what a few grand invested each month will do.

http://www.betterinvesting.org/

I don't think you understood my point. The poster said "So they said in the 80's", and I confirmed that indeed, the people were mistaken back then. I then went on to explain how circumstances have evolved since then that mitigate the risk of a similar event ever occurring again on the same scale within our local economy.

A diversified portfolio should include all kinds of investments, including and not limited to stocks, bonds, and real estate. Within those asset classes, real estate tends to be the most stable.

Clearly not. But, facts need not get in the way of using big words to sound knowledgeable.

Bad dog!

Seriously, Red, don't be an ass.

Apparently niche hasn't heard of our see-through skyscrapers, boarded up factories and retail and foreclosed neighborhoods of the 80's.

Maybe less name calling and more listening to those who suffered through the 80's in Houston might curb some of niche's on-going BS.

Apparently niche hasn't heard of our see-through skyscrapers, boarded up factories and retail and foreclosed neighborhoods of the 80's.

Perhaps you should have read my response to MidtownCoog more closely before you drug this topic out any further. For the last time, my point is that yes the 80's sucked, and yes, I'm thoroughly familiar with the extent to which they sucked, but we don't live in the 80's anymore and our city's economy has changed. It is very unlikely that Houston will ever experience anything comparable in its forseeable future.

Maybe less name calling and more listening to those who suffered through the 80's in Houston might curb some of niche's on-going BS.

As the first word of the second line of my response to Red ("seriously") should have conveyed, the line preceeding it was made in a joking manner in reference to Red's avatar...which I actually like, although I don't understand why Red choose to use a droopy Brian.

I know that our disagreements leave a bad taste in your mouth and that you're the type to try and disgrace your opponents through a thousand petty insults, but jeez dude...at least read posts thoroughly before you reply to them.

As the first word of the second line of my response to Red ("seriously") should have conveyed, the line preceeding it was made in a joking manner in reference to Red's avatar

You called a fellow forum member an "ass" and then try to weazel out of it with some BS about his avatar and a cartoon series-nice try but no cigar.

As far as your predictions that

It is very unlikely that Houston will ever experience anything comparable in its forseeable future.
again that's just BS and you know nothing of the kind.

As far as your predictions that again that's just BS and you know nothing of the kind.

So...you think Houston's housing market is about to nosedive?

I understand that you own a house in the Heights. Looking to sell? I'd gladly do you the favor of taking it off your hands so that you can avoid the coming housing bust that you envision. Heck, I'll even lease it back to you on a month-to-month basis so that when the market craters, you can quickly start realizing savings from the lower rents.

I'm serious, btw. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, I will do this.

So...you think Houston's housing market is about to nosedive?

I understand that you own a house in the Heights. Looking to sell? I'd gladly do you the favor of taking it off your hands so that you can avoid the coming housing bust that you envision. Heck, I'll even lease it back to you on a month-to-month basis so that when the market craters, you can quickly start realizing savings from the lower rents.

I'm serious, btw. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, I will do this.

We own houses in Sunset Heights, the Heights and elsewhere. They are not for sale.

In spite of your lame attempt to put words in my mouth, I never said it's about to nosedive. All I did was call you out on your BS statement of which you know nothing of the kind.

Now to the topic at hand. Mike, I would steer clear of townhouses...they are a dime a dozen and many are poorly contructed. Single family inside the loop are becoming scarecer by the day but there are still a few good pick-ups. If you are looking for a home for yourself, Timbergrove and Lazybrook are stable areas if you are far enough away from White Oak [think Allison] and Oak Forest and Garden Oaks are increasingly popular as well. What is your initial aim? A new home to replace your Norhill home or future rental property?

We own houses in Sunset Heights, the Heights and elsewhere. They are not for sale.

In spite of your lame attempt to put words in my mouth, I never said it's about to nosedive. All I did was call you out on your BS statement of which you know nothing of the kind.

Ah, I see...so you're insulting my competence without offering any justification whatsoever. How assinine.

UH's Institute for Regional Forecasting puts out a publication that I receive quarterly that provides quite a bit of statistical background to those factors that influence the local economy. I based the arguments made earlier in the thread upon many of the data that it contains. The publication is called Databook Houston, and a single issue will cost you about $80. I have found it to be an invaluable source in my own professional endeavors, and I'm sure that a look at the last decade or two of Houston's history would be of use to you as a stakeholder in the local housing market.

Get back with me when you've educated yourself on our recent history...at that point, I'll argue with you.

Ah, I see...so you're insulting my competence without offering any justification whatsoever. How assinine.

UH's Institute for Regional Forecasting puts out a publication that I receive quarterly that provides quite a bit of statistical background to those factors that influence the local economy. I based the arguments made earlier in the thread upon many of the data that it contains. The publication is called Databook Houston, and a single issue will cost you about $80. I have found it to be an invaluable source in my own professional endeavors, and I'm sure that a look at the last decade or two of Houston's history would be of use to you as a stakeholder in the local housing market.

Get back with me when you've educated yourself on our recent history...at that point, I'll argue with you.

Actually our single issue price rounds out to $17/month with our yearly subscription so spending $80 per issue wouldn't be good economics.

BTW, people will be more inclined to discuss topics with you if you didn't resort to name calling.

Actually our single issue price rounds out to $17/month with our yearly subscription so spending $80 per issue wouldn't be good economics.

Ah, ok. Well then please reference the table labelled: Economic Diversification: Percent of Nonenergy Base to Base Employment in the Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown MSA.

$80 per year works for many people if they don't require month-to-month precision and they know how to look up basic governmental data. I myself require the quarterly update to effectively do my job...I always need to get the most up-to-date data direct from the sources before completing an assignment, anyway, so backfilling up to three months of data is easy enough. For your purposes, as an owner of rental properties, it seems like paying $200 per year is overkill and may not be "good economics".

BTW, people will be more inclined to discuss topics with you if you didn't resort to name calling.

Please. Red knew he was being an ass. I used the word "ass" in a descriptive sense...and I stand by the idea that it was successful in describing the nature of Red's state of mind when he made those comments. My so-called namecalling doesn't seem to put you off, btw.

Please. Red knew he was being an ass. I used the word "ass" in a descriptive sense...and I stand by the idea that it was successful in describing the nature of Red's state of mind when he made those comments. My so-called namecalling doesn't seem to put you off, btw.

Me? Ass? :o

Why, I never....!

Yeah, I couldn't resist. :lol:

And, like Coog, I read your post backward. You were still trying to use big words, though. ;)

Archived