Camp Logan Information & Developments

dthunter

Ah, ok. Well then please reference the table labelled: Economic Diversification: Percent of Nonenergy Base to Base Employment in the Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown MSA.

My partner and I have no intrest in playing gotcha games but if you ask Bart really nice, I'm sure he could dumb it down for you.

My partner and I have no intrest in playing gotcha games but if you ask Bart really nice, I'm sure he could dumb it down for you.

Seems as though its already dumbed down to the furthest extent possible...

So what, pray tell, should I ask him?

• 2 years later...

Hello All,

Friend is searching for townhomes in both areas--Opinions?

Camp Logan area:

Around Memorial Park---backs up to Crestwood Subdivision, easy access to Memorial Park---some Townhomes actually face the park........

Street lo-cals generally being Memorial to the south ( east-west parameter) and Wescott to the east( north-south parameter), Washington Ave also runs east-west around the area ( In case y'all didn't know........)

Other area is Westhaven Estates:

Generally considered to be only two Roads off of Westheimer ( to the south) and Woodway ( to the north) Potomac and Nantucket---areas north of San Felipe are considered "choice" and are priced somewhat higher than the areas south of San Felipe..................or at least it seems that way to "me"

Close to the Galleria if you get a "shopping jones".............

Ok, both seem to be "empty nester" type areas, or young professionals who haven't had the kiddies yet ( and head out to The Woodlands, or some far flung location that they will regret) somewhat ethnicly diverse( sorry, can't spell tonight--LOL!) and great local ammenities

Questions for the wise real estate sages/savants on the board:

Flooding.........what's the "facts" out on that in both areas??---don't tell me to look up the FEMA maps---been there, done that---areas both look like they "can't quite make up their minds" with this regard...( Well, it is FEMA, are we surprised?)

No real deed restrictions in either place--Can y'all nabes sell the townhome/homestead to developers ( someday when they are "flush" with cash/cheap credit again--someday over the rainbow :P ) and the developer builds a combo Taco Stand/Fortune Teller "hut" ( Hey, no bad feedback on that one--it's Houston and you really "never can tell"..............) I would imagine that this possibilty would only happen to properties closest to main roads

At a Open House in Camp Logan--listing agent told us that some of the green park areas, common areas are owned by Houston proper--and that they could/might be sold to developers ( there is that nasty word again) and additional townhomes could be built in those areas.

Their HOA is trying to get together, to stop this ( that is the "Keep Taggart Zero Green" signs that you see in the area) or maybe try to purchase those areas from the city of Houston???

Anybody know anything else/new about this Camp Logan "issue?"

Ok, general question for y'all......which of those areas do you like best and why? ......or just a good story to tell about past "bad behavior" in either areas?? :D:P

Thank you ahead of time!!!

Celiene

Those are both very high dollar areas and I would be surprised if a Developer would be able to overcome the strong neighborhood associations to build a Taco Stand, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with either area, but if you have kids or think you will soon, you should check out the Public schools (if that's your choice). I think Memorial Elementary is zoned to both schools (HISD) and it's ironically a Hispanic population with the majority of them under "State Financial Assistance". Ironic that there are $500k - $1M townhomes right across the street from Memorial Elementary!

With that being said, I think that most of the people who have money for that area don't send their kids to public school!

I do like the proximity to Memorial Park and I-10/610 Junction much better than the Galleria area of Westheimer/San Felipe (too much traffic).

I don't think these areas are prone to flooding, since Buff Bayou park acts as a flood buffer. Bad behavior is pretty much non-existent because of the Empty-Nesters, just don't turn your radio up too loud Sonny!

Hi-

I lived in Camp Logan for 5 years (2000-2005)....my t'home was <100 yards from mempark.

I grew up on Nantucket, though that's not too helpful because it's unrecognizable as my childhood home (teardowns).

This one is easy, unless you work on the far west side (or as l'hornguy correctly noted, have school issues).

Camp Logan is the better choice.

Flooding: I was in CL during Tropical Storm Allison. No flooding whatsoever. Why? I-10 was our "bayou". (You may recall the

photos of truckers sitting atop their semi-cabs in/on I-10 - that was <1 mi. from CL.) Water flows downhill to I-10 and is absorbed

by the vast unpaved areas w/in Memorial Park. I've not seen actual home flooding in W'haven, but street flooding is pretty common.

Location: W'haven is near very little (plenty of retail strips), but access to major thoroughfares (freeways) is far more limited than

CL. CL has Westcott --->Memorial---->>>D'town w/relatively light traffic and 40-50 mph speed limits. CL is just a few hundred yards

from I-10 so there's more terrific E-W access.

Amenities: Groceries - edge to W'haven. CL has a giant green park w/swimming, weight room, 2.9 mi. soft track, golf, tennis, croquet(?),

softball/baseball, mountain biking, an Arbortetum, hiking, picnicking. I've seen rabbits, coyotes, raccoons, herons and more. The park is

wooded with very old, tall pines and hardwoods.

Crime: Probably a wash. No crime for me in my 5 years.

If you have a reason (proximity to something important to you) to be in the congested W'haven area, go for it. There are lots of good neighborhoods

around it and good shopping. Otherwise, Camp Logan is superior.

BTW, the Galleria area is about equally accessable from CL or W'haven, so that shouldn't be a factor.

Just my informed opinion ;)

InTheloop really summed it up, the one thing I can recall about CL is that if you ever have a day off and decide to stay at home you/your friends will definitely appreciate the lack of random traffic that you will sometimes get in West Haven. Yes, CL borders the park but the park's traffic rarely comes through the n.hood beyond someone jogging/walking a dog/pushing a stroller :) ... Maybe that's why the crime rate is non existent.

It also depends on what your friends value... IMO CL is a really great and has more of a quaint n.hood feeling to than west haven, and the location of CL can't be beat.(Unless you're working far west)

Thanks guys, for all your feedback!

Longhornguy--I really was "just kidding about the Taco stand/Fortune Teller issue....as it is "good to hear" that the HOA's have some "power" in both areas............being that in a city like Houston ( which really has not zoning laws per see) you can never be too careful

And as Longhorn guy stated--T-Homes aren't exactly "cheap" in either areas

Most posters to this forum seem interested in preserving the local nabes---so I felt safe checking this out with you....

They have no children at home to be concerned about schools, as the husband does favor the CL area due to it's Memorial Park location

I would tend to agree with y'all, W'Haven would have more "cut-thru traffic" and possibly a bit more crime due to the easy access to Westheimer---worse traffic too, especially at rush hour

Still wondering about the green areas/small parks in CL though( anyone else know anything about this??)---I would hate to see more T-Homes going in on those areas--it would crowd the area in too much, and possibly lower property values in the long run............HOA needs to stay on top of that one

Celiene

• The title was changed to Townhomes On Feagan/Camp Logan Area Decent Investment?
  • The title was changed to Camp Logan Information & Developments

Archived