Improving Transtar

This thread originated from a conversation on the Pierce Elevated thread, but here goes. The Houston Transtar system is supposed to give traffic information and other information on the freeway system so traffic flows better, but for a system that can detect accidents, display messages, and show the traffic conditions of all the highways it just seems like it's so poorly utilized.

Last Friday night I was driving back into Houston. Traffic was flowing smooth enough for nighttime traffic, up until FM 1960 where it informed me that travel time to Beltway 8 was 20 minutes, and 610 a bit farther. "That's odd," I thought, "isn't it only 5 miles away? Either I'm mistaken, or oh no..." as I was greeted by an endless parade of brake lights shortly thereafter. There could've been a major accident, but it turns out as a construction sign advised too late that during night time, traffic on the 290 mainlanes would be reduced to one inner lane for construction.

I sighed in disgust as a thick maroon line on Google Maps went for two miles and tried not to think of how I deliberately passed up Grand Parkway so I could spend less in tolls. As I toiled in the line I wondered if there was a better way to communicate that things were going to suck ahead. I could've exited Eldridge and worked my way back to Spring Branch and the Beltway through West Little York. I could've gotten to Jones then went east to get on the Beltway NORTH of 290 and gotten south. Maybe I could've eaten take TX-6 south until I-10. Maybe they could've warned me back at Hockley that the highway WAS going to be closed ahead (since this was planned) so I could've gotten on the Grand Parkway first.

It's such a shame that a fairly advanced system can't do much more than "Traffic Jam Ahead", as if brakelights can't do the same thing. Thoughts on the system and potential improvements?

They usually do a decent job of using the road signs to warn well in advance of ongoing construction closures, but I rely far more on the website (http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/) for real-time traffic/incident data and construction zones.

They don't have an app but it's easy enough to drop a shortcut to the website on your phone's home screen. INRIX also has a very useful app powered by crowdsourced traffic data. 

I had the same problem a few weekends ago.

I-10 was closed between 59 and 45. none of the signs on 45 stated this. it was about 11am on a Saturday which meant the pierce would be crawling. as I was traveling north on the gulf freeway and my destination was off I-10 anyway. I decided to end-around and exit for 59 north, then exit I-10 west.

Only problem was that when I exited onto I-10 I saw that all traffic was being exited onto San Jacinto. I passed 1 sign on 45 and 1 sign on 59. There was no indication on either sign that the freeway was closed. Both did have Amber alerts posted though.

The worst of it was that I usually pay attention to the signs, as they do state from time to time upcoming and current freeway closures. 

Great ideas are sometimes implemented poorly.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cspwal said:

They supply some of the data that forms the basis for Google Maps and Waze's traffic information, which is then supplemented by Android and iPhone users that opt in.

Are you sure that's right? I thought all of Google's traffic data came from a calculation on the speed of cars with Android phones (GPS tracking) relative to the speed of the road. Then, it pulls it's wreck data from Waze's user inputted traffic reports. With so many users with Android phones, it paints a perfect picture of the congestion landscape. That's why Doze mode (putting phones in a type of hybrid sleep mode) is deactivated on newer Android phones when they are moving since Google relies on that GPS data.

The changeable traffic condition signs are operated by TxDOT, not Transtar. Overall, I am pretty happy with Transtar, as are most folks I know. Especially those who don't use smartphones or apps.

7 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

I thought those TxDOT signs were only around to inform the masses of nearby gun shows.

I've seen a lot of "show parking", I know I've seen Home Shows and a Polish Festival (the latter only before the Blalock exit, tho).

I'll say it again... What's their point for existing? Especially if they don't have an app. And IF they did... would users download it and prefer it over Google Maps?

Who funds them anyway? It seems like a real waste of taxpayer money.

Does Transtar have anything to do with controlling the light timings and figuring out the traffic engineering for the city?  Because if so then that would be a good reason in of itself without any public facing data or website.

They don't have an app but they have a mobile optimized page.  I have a link to it on my phone's  home screen.  I prefer it to Google/Waze etc to get an overview of the traffic situation and decide which way freeway to take.  I really only use Google Maps or Waze if I am on a trip and unfamiliar with the area.  I have also used their historical traffic data and viewed the traffic cameras.  I think they also coordinate emergency management between various regional agencies and monitor the freeways for problems.  I don't think they are a waste of taxpayer money.  Just my opinion :D

58 minutes ago, LTAWACS said:

I'll say it again... What's their point for existing? Especially if they don't have an app. And IF they did... would users download it and prefer it over Google Maps?

Who funds them anyway? It seems like a real waste of taxpayer money.

http://www.houstontranstar.org/about_transtar/

Houston TranStar is a unique partnership of representatives from the City of Houston, Harris County, METRO and TxDOT who share resources and exchange information under one roof to keep motorists informed, roadways clear and lives safe in the fourth most populated city in the United States.

Established in 1993, TranStar manages the region's transportation system and is the primary coordination site for state, county and local agencies when responding to incidents and emergencies.

Right there on their website, if Mr. Norquist, er, LTAWACS had bothered to look. They also offer tours of the facility for anyone who'd like to get an up-close view of their daily operations. 

17 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

http://www.houstontranstar.org/about_transtar/

Houston TranStar is a unique partnership of representatives from the City of Houston, Harris County, METRO and TxDOT who share resources and exchange information under one roof to keep motorists informed, roadways clear and lives safe in the fourth most populated city in the United States.

Established in 1993, TranStar manages the region's transportation system and is the primary coordination site for state, county and local agencies when responding to incidents and emergencies.

Right there on their website, if Mr. Norquist, er, LTAWACS had bothered to look. They also offer tours of the facility for anyone who'd like to get an up-close view of their daily operations. 

Keep motorists informed about what? I mean... I dont think I've ever been informed about anything from them. "Roadways cleared"? Please. Wreckers are onsite before the police most of the time. How do they keep lives safe? From burglars? Thieves? What??

I just dont get it... The more I think of it the more it is evident is a waste of money.

On 5/19/2016 at 0:19 PM, LTAWACS said:

Keep motorists informed about what? I mean... I dont think I've ever been informed about anything from them. "Roadways cleared"? Please. Wreckers are onsite before the police most of the time. How do they keep lives safe? From burglars? Thieves? What??

I just dont get it... The more I think of it the more it is evident is a waste of money.

To the contrary, I think Transtar is good use of taxpayer money compared to other govt run entities. The traffic info, whether you use it or not, is a just a byproduct of their other functions which include detecting and making sure incidents clear quickly (via 1000+ cameras and seamless coordination among agencies and emergency services), coordinating government operations when extraordinary regional events such as flooding occur, syncing and timing traffic signals, and forcing governments to work together to get all this done.  This is more of a challenge than you can imagine since TXDOT, the City, METRO, and Harris County all have their own agendas and manage their own infrastructures. You've got to get these people in the same room for a truly coordinated effort as it doesn't just happen naturally. Waze is not going to manage your traffic signals or coordinate evacuation efforts although I would guess that Transtar could tap into their data and use it as an aid in decision-making. In addition, the data they collect is used to quantify performance on Houston roadways and thus is responsible for funding allocation across the regions. If you still think TranStar is a waste of money, I'd encourage you to take a tour and see for yourself. I'd bet it would change your mind.

Archived