Katy Entertinment Center

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

They'r ebuilding the new entertainment center in Katy. That or it just opened. Seems alright almost like the Marquee at I-10 and 610.

Umm what's it gonna feature? Is it gonna have any nightclubs?

This is gonna be one of a few developments in Katy. THere's supposed to be a village across the freeway from Katy Mills. It's gonna feature,shopping,offices,and entertainment. Don't know when it's gonna be built or what it's gonna ce called.

There was also plans for a mall at The Grand Parkway and Peek Rd.

Guest Plastic
Not really..it's supposedly a "lifestyle" mall...no indoor enclosed concourse.  They are however closing JCPenney at West Oaks in October and opening it at this new Katy center.

Lifestyle Mall. what's that?

And it's not indoors, well how in the hell are we supposed to shop in the Texas heat?

Not really..it's supposedly a "lifestyle" mall...no indoor enclosed concourse.  They are however closing JCPenney at West Oaks in October and opening it at this new Katy center.

I went to Katy to see my parents last week. I drove by the new JCPenny's building. However, right now it just looks like a typical big box style of structure you see everywhere. It definitely does not look like a Lifestyle Mall.

Guest Plastic

You know, it's that placeright near HWY 59 and Kirkwood. ON the right if you're going to Sugarland. GOt Sam's Boat,Kim Son, Borders Books,Fuddruckers and Loews Cinema. It's like one of the manyCommons strip centers we have around town.

• 4 weeks later...
So it's basically like The Fountains in Stafford?

No Plastic, The new mall out by the theater is to be modeled after the Galleria, High-end stores, and such. Buy the "cheap" houses in Katy now. We are about to BOOM out here again. There was another proposed "water-park" project, B) next to the new entertainment complex just recently opened on Westgreen, but the company trying to go with that idea could not get the loans to make their dream come true. :(

No Plastic, The new mall out by the theater is to be modeled after the Galleria, High-end stores, and such. Buy the "cheap" houses in Katy now. We are about to BOOM out here again. There was another proposed "water-park" project,  B) next to the new entertainment complex just recently opened on Westgreen, but the company trying to go with that idea could not get the loans to make their dream come true. :(

Other peoples' so-called "dreams" are most other peoples' nightmare.

They'r ebuilding the new entertainment center in Katy. That or it just opened. Seems alright almost like the Marquee at I-10 and 610.

Umm what's it gonna feature? Is it gonna have any nightclubs?

This is gonna be one of a few developments in Katy. THere's supposed to be a village across the freeway from Katy Mills. It's gonna feature,shopping,offices,and entertainment. Don't know when it's gonna be built or what it's gonna ce called.

There was also plans for a mall at The Grand Parkway and Peek Rd.

Frankly I hope this never materializes. There is no reason for people to live so far away.

Frankly I hope this never materializes. There is no reason for people to live so far away.

So far from what? Gessner and I-10 is nearly the population center of the Greater Houston area. The Energy Corridor is home to US and world headquarters for several huge firms. There is a ton of business on the west side that supports the construction to the west.

Agreed that it's not in the city center, geographically. But this sort of growth is the reason why cities like Houston continue to grow while cities in the Northeast continue to shrink.

Sorry to be so confrontational on my first post :) I've lurked a while, but this is the first time I've thought about saying anything. Great board, by the way.

To MadMax, welcome to HAIF B)

To LTAWACS, I see what you're saying, but I think I know where this is going. :D This may be another HAIF episode of Urbanize vs. Sprawl. I take it you're all for Urbanization of Houston, and against the wide open spaces between, indeed? Is that correct? (Just to understand where you're coming from.)

I'm all for this Katy Entertainment Center. I think it will help Katy grow. I think Katy, as well as Sugarland and the Woodlands, are tired of playing second-fiddle to Houston in terms of development, and they are tired of being seen as Houstonians as cities that are "creating sprawl for Houston", and want to be seen as "cities other than Houston".

And for the record, my home is right by the Fountains on the Houston-Sugarland border. It's extremely beautiful, and a great place to eat, chill, relax, and shop. It would be nice if more shopping centers within Houston City Limits, say, the Galleria-Uptown-Richmond Strip area, or places close to Downtown, had a setup like the Fountains had.

And for the record, my home is right by the Fountains on the Houston-Sugarland border. It's extremely beautiful, and a great place to eat, chill, relax, and shop. It would be nice if more shopping centers within Houston City Limits, say, the Galleria-Uptown-Richmond Strip area, or places close to Downtown, had a setup like the Fountains had.

Are you back from Korea?

LTAWACS - I have to agree with MadMax & DJ V on this one. I understand you wanting only infill and projects to go downtown - but the truth of the matter is that with around 5 million people, you're not going to get all of them downtown. The inner-city lacks many "creature-comforts" of the suburbs.

I think downtown will get its due. It has 2 brand new professional sports stadiums, a newly-expanded convention center, a swank new convention hotel, new condo conversions, and new commercial space. Add the new Co-Cathederal, the Pavillions, the Main St. Project, Midtown medium-density growth, and the continued-boom of the Medical Center; and downtown will continue to feel the growth.

Give it all time. Meanwhile - don't punish us out in the suburbs that aren't quite suited for inner-city life (be it the busy lifestyle, or simply the price), as we will still love to come to downtown & the inner-city for fun sometimes ourselves.

Are you back from Korea?

LTAWACS - I have to agree with MadMax & DJ V on this one. I understand you wanting only infill and projects to go downtown - but the truth of the matter is that with around 5 million people, you're not going to get all of them downtown. The inner-city lacks many "creature-comforts" of the suburbs.

I think downtown will get its due. It has 2 brand new professional sports stadiums, a newly-expanded convention center, a swank new convention hotel, new condo conversions, and new commercial space. Add the new Co-Cathederal, the Pavillions, the Main St. Project, Midtown medium-density growth, and the continued-boom of the Medical Center; and downtown will continue to feel the growth.

Give it all time. Meanwhile - don't punish us out in the suburbs that aren't quite suited for inner-city life (be it the busy lifestyle, or simply the price), as we will still love to come to downtown & the inner-city for fun sometimes ourselves.

I'm still in Korea for the time being, but I may be coming back to H-town for good in the next few months :) I'm looking forward to making some kind of difference music wise when I come back, and for now I'm an english teacher, spinning in fun clubs, working with my production crew, and getting ready for college life in Houston. My family is all by the Fountains, though, and I plan on calling it home again soon.

To Houston, Sugarland, Woodlands, Galveston, Pearland, Pasa-get-down-dena, Katy, and every city around Houston's suburbs, let's keep growing!

And to Katy, I hope this Entertainment Center is just the beginning B)

Archived