Open Carry of Handguns Starts January 1, 2016

kylejack

And gmac, I hope you're as passionate about pointing that out to people who admire the US Capitol Building as you are with me :P

Nope. I wasn't around then, so not much I could do about that.

I'm not too fond of people throwing out "neck beard" and "redneck" in screeds against people they deem as below them. As I'm sure you have slurs you don't like to see thrown around. We all have our pet peeves.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skwatra, I am sorry for your loss.

My own father was killed by gun violence when I was 18. I dont like going into detail, but I can assure you though, he was not killed by a law abiding, licensed firearm holder on accident, he was killed by a criminal with an illegal gun. Going through this did not make me anti-gun rights. Why? because adding more laws and restrictions to law abiding citizens who carry firearms legally and responsibly, does nothing to murderous criminals who obtain and carry guns ILLEGALLY. Nothing.

Murders are usually committed by people mentally predisposed to murder. Not some random neckbeard at Wal-Mart who is exercising his open carry right.

I'm sure if you pulled up the statistics over the past year, number of deaths inadvertantly caused by someone open carrying pales in comparison to the number of deaths caused by murderers who kill people with illegally possessed firearms on purpose.

I never said i was anti-gun rights. I am anti-gun. Maybe there isn't much of a difference or maybe I didn't get my point across. I don't care what the statistics say about concealed handguns or open carry. I don't want to see them out in the open in my daily life, never have in the past (in my 35 years, and I go out a lot), and don't want my kids in that type of society. The person can be responsible, it may make me safer, it may not. But if they feel they need one (concealed or otherwise) that means they don't feel safe? I guess in my mind, if you're not going hunting or to a shooting range, you shouldn't need a gun with you.

And by the way (not very relevant to this discussion) but my uncle was shot by a cop. He was closing down his shop, and curfew had just started. Two cops told him he was clear to go and as he walked to his scooter a 3rd shot him in the back. This was in India in 1984 after Indira Ghandi was assassinated, and we're Sikh.

Nope. I wasn't around then, so not much I could do about that.

I'm not too fond of people throwing out "neck beard" and "redneck" in screeds against people they deem as below them. As I'm sure you have slurs you don't like to see thrown around. We all have our pet peeves.

Let's pump the breaks gmac. Are "redneck" & "neck beards" a slur? If so, care to share the PC equivalents? If you'd like to take this to PM feel free.

Edit: Appalachian American & Fedora Enthusiasts.

Oddly enough, I was in Atlanta this past week for the Peach Bowl. As my friend and I left the stadium, we ran into a guy doing an open-carry walk around town who randomly struck up a conversation with us. He was actually the friendliest person I met in the city. He told us about all of the cool bike trails along with the cycling laws for Atlanta since he was apparently an avid in-town cyclist. He also told us about a bunch of places to go see and guided us to a restaurant/bar that was about a ten block walk away.

Let's pump the breaks gmac. Are "redneck" & "neck beards" a slur? If so, care to share the PC equivalents? If you'd like to take this to PM feel free.

I believe the proper slur for Appalachian American would be "hillbilly".  As for Fedora Enthusiasts, this is what comes to mind:

rat%20pack.jpg

I believe the proper slur for Appalachian American would be "hillbilly".  As for Fedora Enthusiasts, this is what comes to mind:

rat%20pack.jpg

You are correct, though "hillbilly" may also apply to natives of the Ozarks and Ouachitas.  The more specific Appalachian slur is "hoopie."  Any of them can fall within the more general categories of "redneck" and "neckbeard."

I will note that any discussions of firearms at my extended family gatherings in West Virginia, Arkansas, and north Louisiana are almost always in the context of hunting for food.

Edit:  Added an image of a popular character reputedly from Bugtussle, Oklahoma, on the edge of the Ouachitas.

Irene-Noblette-480x360.jpg

You are correct, though "hillbilly" may also apply to natives of the Ozarks and Ouachitas.  The more specific Appalachian slur is "hoopie."  Any of them can fall within the more general categories of "redneck" and "neckbeard."

I will note that any discussions of firearms at my extended family gatherings in West Virginia, Arkansas, and north Louisiana are almost always in the context of hunting for food.

Thank you.  I stand corrected.

Discussions with family and friends in West Texas also usually center on hunting if it's about long guns.  For handguns there's not much discussion, they're usually just laying around on tables and in drawers.

Evidently they aren't to you. Carry on.

Why would I want to send you a PM? I come here to read things and post things, not engage in private discussions.

Evidently they aren't to you. Carry on.

Why would I want to send you a PM? I come here to read things and post things, not engage in private discussions.

Well I thought we could have spared the thread but obviously that's too late. Care to elaborate on why you deem them as slurs? Neck beard is obviously an insult, but redneck is not. Rednecks pride themselves on being rednecks, they have shows, comedies, literature, movies, websites, bumper stickers, you name it. Can you tell me another "slur" that does?

You are correct, though "hillbilly" may also apply to natives of the Ozarks and Ouachitas. The more specific Appalachian slur is "hoopie." Any of them can fall within the more general categories of "redneck" and "neckbeard."

I've always thought neckbeard was a reference to the oft rotund, 35 year old, computer savvy virgin who lives in his mothers basement and never gets off the internet. You know, like your average HAIFer.

Oh and he also has a killer beard on his neck and a penchant for fedoras....

neckbeard-trilby.jpg

Oh and he also has a killer beard on his neck and a penchant for fedoras....

Swap that fedora with a cowboy hat and you have your typical open carry proponent. It's really the only distinguishing factor between the love of computers and the love of firearms.

Archived