Texas Tower: Office Skyscraper At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/27/2022 at 9:48 PM, toxtethogrady said:

Interesting. Chevron just announced they're moving more people from San Ramon to Houston. If they're not building anything new, then where are they putting these relocated people up?

On 6/27/2022 at 9:55 PM, hindesky said:

As far as I know Chevron took over the two Enron buildings and some of the old Continental/United tower.

This doesn't mention specific buildings but it sounds like Chevron has space available for the transfers.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Chevron-s-offer-to-pay-for-staff-to-move-to-17271037.php

Last week Chevron confirmed it will remain in California, but it is inviting employees to move to Houston...

It's still a question though of how many of its 2,000 employees in San Ramon would actually make the move.  Chevron isn’t requiring employees to move to Texas, but its offer to cover employees’ relocation is another sign that Houston is a primary center of operations for the oil major. Chevron has about 8,000 employees in the Houston area, including about 6,000 employees in downtown Houston...

The energy firm has roughly 3 million square feet of office space in downtown Houston spread across three buildings. Chevron also owns two office buildings in northwest Houston that it picked up after it acquired Noble Energy. One of those 438,000 square-foot building represented one of the largest blocks of sublease office spaces available in Houston area as of the first quarter 2022, according to real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield. In the past year, Chevron also moved into a leased small office space in The Ion, Rice Management Co.’s startup incubator in Midtown Houston.

They're not moving the HQ at this time. Exxon relocated many of their employees here but left their HQ in DFW until recently. Is Chevron following this game plan?

Edited by 79ta
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 79ta said:

Is Chevron following this game plan?

My guess is it depends on how many of its people choose to move to Houston.

If only a handful go, then it makes sense to stay in California.  Unless Chevron can get some concessions from the state and local governments.

Otherwise, if a sizable percentage of employees ditch California, it makes sense to move.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious Houston19514

Do you work for Central Houston? You always seem to have some inside info.

If you do has Bob Eury left the stadium? He was always so positive and led both the Downtown District and Central Houston with such dignity and success. The city will miss him. He was instrumental in so many initiatives for downtown.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Just curious Houston19514

Do you work for Central Houston? You always seem to have some inside info.

If you do has Bob Eury left the stadium? He was always so positive and led both the Downtown District and Central Houston with such dignity and success. The city will miss him. He was instrumental in so many initiatives for downtown.

I do not, and I have no inside info.  I just keep my ear to the ground, I'm very observant and have a very good memory (and I'm pretty good at digging up information on the internet).

Yes, Bob Eury retired within the last year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 2:03 PM, Houston19514 said:

It looks like What If Syndicate has adjusted their plans.  They had planned a concept called Delilah's in both Texas Tower and on State Street in Chicago's Gold Coast.  They are still planning the same concept but changed the name to "Cafe Sophie".  Cafe Sophie will feature pastries, wood-fired breakfast sandwiches, and a full bar: it’s a space designed for customers to stay a while. There will also be a retail section where visitors can buy home kitchen supplies. (This description is specifically for their Gold Coast location, bu they also say they have a signed lease in Houston for the same concept.)

(It turns out the owner of the other Delilah's in Chicago objected to their use of that name.)

https://chicago.eater.com/2021/11/12/22778060/cafe-sophie-chicago-gold-coast-what-if-maple-ash-all-day-european?fbclid=IwAR1V47M_1iS1CWtEXUff808ed-yzU3lvwp9GoWg0zqKLWoCQhIZY9WBG1nQ

Does anyone know if Café Sophie (Cafe Sophie) and Etta are moving forward at Texas Tower?

Etta leased a "6,410 square feet on the first floor of Texas Tower." The address associated with it is 845 Texas Ave, Suite 175. Cafe Sophie leased a unite at 845 Texas Ave, Suite 100. According to a December press release from Hine, Caofe Sophie would "occupy 2,000 square feet in Texas Tower’s pavilion area."

Both restaurants are concepts from Chicago-based hospitality group What If Syndicate. 

There are dueling lawsuits between co-owners David Pisor and James Lasky of What If Syndicate. According to Book Club Chicago:

"In April, Pisor accused his business partner, James Lasky, of trying to push him out of the restaurant group. But Lasky said he was forced to act because there are allegations Pisor acted inappropriately toward staffers..."

Cafe Sophie is one of the latest What If Syndicate dining concepts. The restaurant opened its doors in Chicago in April. However, it closed three months later. In court documents, "Pisor alleges Lasky closed Celestina Rooftop and Café Sophie without his consent." However, "Lasky’s legal team reasons that the shutter is due to a design flaw," according to Eater Chicago.

There's also this:

"The court filing also alleges a notice of default was issued for the Etta location in Houston’s Texas Tower for failure to make a required cash distribution. And it says other planned projects are falling through as landlords are opting to work with other brands."

“Prior to Lasky’s usurpation of control, What If had never closed a restaurant. With Lasky at the helm, the Company has closed two restaurants in less than three months,” court documents said."

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/07/08/2-restaurants-in-the-maple-ash-empire-close-amid-legal-battle-between-owners/

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/07/14/maple-ash-co-owner-refused-6-figure-payment-company-will-not-be-turned-over-to-neutral-manager-judge-rules/

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/7/15/23218992/maple-ash-lawsuit-cafe-sophie-what-if-syndicate-review-scam-gift-card-bruno-mars

Does anyone have insight about the What If Syndicate restaurants planned for Houston? It seems both restaurants may not move forward in Houston. I don't know. Is Hines looking for other tenants as replacements?

Transwestern still lists Etta and Cafe Sophie in retail leasing materials for Texas Tower. I don't know the last time Transwestern updated the listing.

https://transwestern.com/property/texas-tower

https://i.transwestern.com/5fbed5f0-3445-4680-af8c-d64c1b17a4c1/962b2346-a78e-430d-b35f-94414abf3749.pdf

Both concepts are dead, mainly due to the issues you've highlighted I'm told.

The good news (from a reliable source) is that both the former Cafe Sophie space and the larger space caddy corner from Brava should have some announcements soon..

I'm not sure on prospects for the former Etta space. I'd hope it wouldn't stay vacant for too long as that corner has a lot of potential for pedestrian activity..

• Like 5

On 10/16/2022 at 8:38 AM, CREguy13 said:

Both concepts are dead, mainly due to the issues you've highlighted I'm told.

The good news (from a reliable source) is that both the former Cafe Sophie space and the larger space caddy corner from Brava should have some announcements soon..

I'm not sure on prospects for the former Etta space. I'd hope it wouldn't stay vacant for too long as that corner has a lot of potential for pedestrian activity..

Thank you. Also, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. Somehow I missed this.

I'm disappointed Etta and Cafe Sophie aren't moving forward. Here's hoping the next tenants signing on will be worthwhile.

On 10/16/2022 at 8:39 AM, Houston19514 said:

FWIW, Etta is still listed as “coming soon” on the Etta website….

I noticed that as well. However, the lawsuits seem to indicate Etta and other planned What If Syndicate projects for Chicago and elsewhere are dead for now.

10 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Thank you. Also, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. Somehow I missed this.

I'm disappointed Etta and Cafe Sophie aren't moving forward. Here's hoping the next tenants signing on will be worthwhile.

Here's hoping they are more worthwhile than Etta.  Friends in Chicago tell me it's just okay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highrise Tower said:

Had some downtime this week so I went into the new tunnel leading to T2.  It's a very nice building!!

01XrQlQ.jpg

K1CxUb8.jpg

rM29QYC.jpg

BXHJ7F5.jpg

c1z5TGB.jpg

LvzQ5SY.jpg

These  images are quite nice.  The interior image of the gazebo, with it's central column, is  intriguing. The variety of materials used creates such a warm and inviting space. I'm curious. Did you happen to notice if the Mobile in the  lobby is by Ed Wilson.The cloud shapes look  similar to his dynamic piece in the George Brown cc lobby. The lighting and scale of the lobby is serious drama. I could see it as a stage set for perhaps a modern ballet, opera,  or an existential play. And last but not least, I'm curious about what looks to be either a work of art or perhaps a lamp. with a wooden timber base some material samples, The life of Gerald Hines, and the maquette of the Texas Tower, on top. The maquette reminded me of going to the observation deck in the Humble Bldg. when it opened. They had a machine that created a replica of the building from a mold out of some kind of petroleum product. Thanks for the images!

• Like 3

It looks like Transwestern has updated their websites and it appears Etta, at least, is out.  Etta was said to have leased 6,410 square feet, and the 6,410 square foot Suite 102 (corner of Texas & Travis) is now listed for lease (also shown as available on their retail leasing brochure.

Interestingly, the 2,098 square foot pavilion (corner of Texas and Milam) is not listed as being available and is shown on the leasing brochure floor plan as "What If Syndicate" (the owner of Etta and Cafe Sophie).

Also, they list the 4,133 square foot Suite 101 (corner of Prairie and Travis) as being available and show it as such on the leasing brochure floor plan.

The 5,340 square foot space at the corner of Prairie and Milam is shown as "Berg Hospitality Group" (Benjamin Berg's group)

https://i.transwestern.com/5fbed5f0-3445-4680-af8c-d64c1b17a4c1/962b2346-a78e-430d-b35f-94414abf3749.pdf

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

It looks like Transwestern has updated their websites and it appears Etta, at least, is out.  Etta was said to have leased 6,410 square feet, and the 6,410 square foot Suite 102 (corner of Texas & Travis) is now listed for lease (also shown as available on their retail leasing brochure.

Interestingly, the 2,098 square foot pavilion (corner of Texas and Milam) is not listed as being available and is shown on the leasing brochure floor plan as "What If Syndicate" (the owner of Etta and Cafe Sophie).

Also, they list the 4,133 square foot Suite 101 (corner of Prairie and Travis) as being available and show it as such on the leasing brochure floor plan.

The 5,340 square foot space at the corner of Prairie and Milam is shown as "Berg Hospitality Group" (Benjamin Berg's group)

Thanks and good catch!

Updated site plan of ground floor retail at Texas Tower,  845 Texas Ave.

QRJZmTO.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I hope Berg Hospitality Group is able to make a go of it at Texas Tower (845 Texas Ave.) Ben Berg and his team's plans for Benjamin never came to fruition at the Star (1111 Rusk St.)

I wonder what kind of restaurant is planned for Texas Tower? The most recent retail site plan notes the unit Berg Hospitality Group is leasing (or planning to lease) will be part restaurant and retail. If that's the case, could it be something similar to NoPo? I know Berg Hospitality is working on a seafood concept possibly named Dune Road. I think it may focus on East Coast seafood. However, I am not certain where it's opening.

On 11/1/2022 at 3:28 PM, Houston19514 said:

17 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Thanks and good catch!

QRJZmTO.jpg

Built Nearby shared the news of Berg Hospitality Group possibly opening a restaurant at Texas Tower (845 Texas Ave.) It was posted in an Instagram story yesterday.

I'm certain the person/people behind Built Nearby saw the post about it here. I've noticed many of their posts are taken from HAIF (mostly my posts) and don't attribute the forum (the same goes for Walking Houston). Built Nearby did this when I shared news about Milkshake Concepts' the Finch (before Gatsby's Prime Seafood leasing the space), Barcelona Wine Bar (prior to anything published about it online or alcohol permits), and others.

However, if something is reported by Houston Chronicle, CultureMap, Houston Business Journal, and other news sources, Built Nearby and Walking Houston will attribute those publications.

At least I attribute sources (or try my best) no matter where it comes from - that is if I don't have first hand knowledge about it - as do others here on the forum. It would be great if Built Nearby and Walking Houston did the same.

zq1w4hT.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.
  • 2 weeks later...

On 11/2/2022 at 9:04 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Thanks and good catch!

QRJZmTO.jpg

On 11/2/2022 at 9:25 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The most recent retail site plan notes the unit Berg Hospitality Group is leasing (or planning to lease) will be part restaurant and retail. If that's the case, could it be something similar to NoPo? I know Berg Hospitality is working on a seafood concept possibly named Dune Road. I think it may focus on East Coast seafood. However, I am not certain where it's opening.

So, Dune Road is the name of the dining concept opening soon on the corner of Prairie St and Milam St. It will be located in Texas Tower at 845 Texas St. Suite 125 in downtown Houston.

Dune Road is one of several new restaurants and bars from Berg Hospitality Group. As previously speculated, this may be a seafood / coastal concept.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

On 11/2/2022 at 9:25 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I wonder what kind of restaurant is planned for Texas Tower? The most recent retail site plan notes the unit Berg Hospitality Group is leasing (or planning to lease) will be part restaurant and retail. If that's the case, could it be something similar to NoPo? I know Berg Hospitality is working on a seafood concept possibly named Dune Road. I think it may focus on East Coast seafood. However, I am not certain where it's opening.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:43 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

So, Dune Road is the name of the dining concept opening soon on the corner of Prairie St and Milam St. It will be located in Texas Tower at 845 Texas St. Suite 125 in downtown Houston.

Dune Road is one of several new restaurants and bars from Berg Hospitality Group. As previously speculated, this may be a seafood / coastal concept.

Yesterday, Berg Hospitality Group formally announced its forthcoming dining concept: Dune Road.

Dune Road will be located in Texas Tower at 845 Texas St. Suite 125 in downtown Houston. It's situated on the corner of Prairie St and Milam St.

As speculated last year, Dune Road will be an East Coast seafood restaurant, specifically focusing on New England coastal fare.

CultureMap reports Dune Road anticipates a fall opening. The article fails to mention Etta, an Italian restaurant from Chicago restaurant group What If Syndicate, is no longer planned for Texas Tower.

https://www.duneroadtx.com

https://www.instagram.com/duneroadtx

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/dune-road-seafood-restaurant-texas-tower-ben-berg-hospitality-1/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

More regarding the design of Dune Road from yesterday's CultureMap article.

Dune Road will be located in Texas Tower at 845 Texas St. Suite 125 in downtown Houston. It's situated on the corner of Prairie St and Milam St.

The latest Berg Hospitality Group concept is an East Coast seafood restaurant, specifically focusing on New England coastal fare.

"Berg Hospitality turned to New York-based ICRAVE to design the approximately 5,400-square-foot restaurant. Expect nautical elements such as polished metals, lacquered wood, and shiplap-inspired elements. A raw bar will be incorporated into the large, 56-seat bar area. The space will also include a private dining room and a westward-facing patio."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/dune-road-seafood-restaurant-texas-tower-ben-berg-hospitality-1/

More details from the press release in yesterday's Houston Chronicle article:

"There will be seating for 214 guests in the restaurant that will feature a 56-seat circular bar, patio seating for 44, and private dining areas."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/dune-road-seafood-restaurant-texas-tower-houston-17868848.php

• Like 2