Art League Houston At 1953 Montrose Blvd.

Dan Havel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

You may have noticed the new construction on Montrose on the site of the late, great, lamented Inversion House. The Art League Houston's new facility looks promising.

Is it just me, or isn't this the way that Hobby Center ought to have looked? Googie, 21st Century, and rational.

Not only will this new building provide much needed studio/teaching space, but it also will contain a small cafe, which will be most welcome in an otherwise rather forbidding stretch of Montrose Blvd. Can't find a large-scale rendering online but check out the progress on the Art League's website.

• 1 month later...

^agreed, it's out of scale w/r/t the area. This has been a debate amongst my friends is the changing scale of Montrose... seems to me he missed a great oppurtunity to index the neighborhood behind it and across montrose, which imo, is the "loot" of Houston's inovative architecture.

My professor said that Irvine is just having fun, and that the art league has been trying to get this built for nearly 30 years and he was the logical choice to get it done on budget and on time.

• 3 weeks later...

the juxtaposition of opposing styles is what it means to be diverse architecturally.........to some, anyway. for some, it is inherent in a progressively urban, mixed-use environ that styles are aberrant and contrasting. should montrose be sugarland? i do not intend to denigrate the honorable ideal of respecting the relationship of a structure to it's surroundings; however, in the "big picture", does it matter, that is, if it's good? for example, if frank lloyd wright's new york guggenheim were to be built on bissonnet between dunlavy and shepherd, would i care? absolutely not.

if it is good and enjoyable and functional........let it be. to worry over neighborhood context (at least in houston's free-wheeling real estate climate) is ultimately uncessary.

let's enjoy it where it occurs and find the beauty in the contrast. Vive Le Difference!

• The title was changed to Art League Houston At 1953 Montrose Blvd.

Archived