Downtown Bike Lane

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and the police pension fund, and the firefighter pension fund, and the...

I have visions of bike lanes everywhere as the city tries to bridge the gap of our debt issues.

This thing is less than 3/4 of a mile. I'm envisioning 1000 miles of bike lanes! extrapolated out, that's like, a million tickets every year! even if the fee is nominal, like $25? 25 million a year, that's notbadobama.jpg

That's assuming that people don't catch on. And even if the fee is $250+, it's meaningless to you when you can't go on the bike path when some jackass is parked in it.

Ok slightly off topic, but last night around 9:30pm I was driving home on the Gulf freeway and saw 10-15 bikers in the HOV lane inbound! They were around Telephone headed towards downtown. Though riding there is illegal I'm sure, they did appear to be serious bikers with helmets and lights and all, not just messing around.

The fact that it's illegal aside, if you live within a certain distance of the freeways, you run a risk of getting asthma, breathing as heavily as you do while cycling, it's probably not a good thing right in the epicenter of car exhaust. You're not sucking on a tailpipe, but it's probably as close as you can get to it. 

However, there's probably not a safer place in Houston (to avoid getting hit by a car) than to ride in the HOV lane once they're closed in the evenings. From a breathing perspective, I think it's a pretty bad idea though.

The fact that it's illegal aside, if you live within a certain distance of the freeways, you run a risk of getting asthma, breathing as heavily as you do while cycling, it's probably not a good thing right in the epicenter of car exhaust. You're not sucking on a tailpipe, but it's probably as close as you can get to it. 

However, there's probably not a safer place in Houston (to avoid getting hit by a car) than to ride in the HOV lane once they're closed in the evenings. From a breathing perspective, I think it's a pretty bad idea though.

Now there's an interesting idea...carve out, or better yet build into the system, protected bike lanes in the hov.

thats funny, I cycle all the time. I would have never thought to get on the HOV lanes when theyre closed. Curious how many cyclists do that.

Agree with you on the particulate matter too from car exhausts. I have in the past seen riders with respirators on (http://respro.com/). I wear respirators at work occasionally, and though I understand why some people do it in the city, I guess to me, oxygen flow without resistance is more important while riding. 

• 6 months later...

Something I noticed on the bike lane these last few weeks I've taken it several times:

If you are biking 'west' on Lamar in the direction of car travel, the bike light turns green ~5 seconds before the traffic light for the vehicular traffic, only for cross streets that are one way 'south' (eg Fannin, Milam, Smith). This allows bikes to get up and moving before the cars turning left in to them. For the 'north bound' intersections (Travis, Louisiana) the bike light and vehicle light turn green at the same time since there is no risk from cars turning in to the bike lane.

Just a little smart thing I noticed that is helpful - not sure if it was like that since the lane opened. Of course the bigger risk is when you are traveling faster through a light that is already green, and this feature doesn't help for that scenario.

yeah, it's been that way since inception. 

I wish they'd have some flashing lights for the people turning left across the cycling lane. I have had to slam my brakes to avoid getting turned into, and I've only ridden the lane about 5 times. So 20% of the time, I've almost died :(

Drivers just aren't used to thinking about it.

Part of that is, as you said, that drivers aren't used to it. As the bike plan gets built out and there are more decent bike lanes nearby, that should increase their visibility and get people used to looking for them, especially since there will be more cyclists in the lanes as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived