Texas A&M University Bonfire Memorial

WestGrayGuy

The fact that tens of thousands of people will be travelling from all over to attend the service in College Station today, for twelve people that most of them never met, is testament that the Aggie Spirit is in fact a very real and very meaningful thing, contrary to the laughs and deprecations of envious, insecure (or why else would they waste time making fun of us?) types who are not a part of it. Most of us have attended college, but unless your college happens to be Texas A&M University, or maybe one of the military academies, it could never show such commitment as this.

Engineering students are no substitute for actual engineers, especially in situations where someone could be killed.

I agree that Bonfire should be designed by an engineer - and I believe that it was. But does everyone involved in building it have to be an engineer, as some people have suggested? Was everyone involved in the construction of any office building an engineer? As long as you have a good design, can't regular students do the gruntwork?

Again, it is very easy to point out problems after an accident has happened. But it worked dozens of times before, and the people currently working on the 45 foot Unity Bonfire off-campus are proving that it can be done again, in a very safe fashion.

The Big Dig project in Boston cost $14.6 billion, and now has 700 leaks in a single mile-long section of tunnel. It was designed by engineers, but apparently mistakes were made. With Bonfire, one stack in 90 years fell. Accidents happen.

Accidents can be prevented if you act in a prudent manner. A&M did not act in a prudent manner in constructing the bonfire.

I'm glad they built a memorial to those who were killed so Aggie alumni could have sense of "togetherness."

People who are outside of a group always hate the ones in the group for their togetherness. This is why they make fun of the Aggie Spirit - because they have nothing similar to it in their lives. The sad thing is that A&M welcomes everyone into the family, and remembers them all when they are gone, so those who hate it are the miserable ones who exclude themselves.

You saw this thing in school when you were growing up. The loner always hated the large, happy groups of friends. It's the same reason why that boy in Jonesboro, AR fired a gun at all those kids who were holding hands praying. People hate people who care for one another, and they hate it most of all when God is involved, as He was today at the ceremony, and on every plaque of the memorial.

Just think...if David Koresh had gone to A&M that whole unfortunate Waco thing could have been avoided.

What on earth are you talking about? What does any of this have to do with David Koresh?

Are you calling us a cult because we pray to God when we remember our dead? Does that make us the equivalent of David Koresh? Is this how you see people who have religious faith?

Just a stab in the dark here, but I think what he was trying to say was if Koresh (a loner) had gone to A&M, maybe he would have become part of the whole camaraderie that A&M is famous for, and things might have turned out differently for not only Koresh but a whole lot of other people connected with that mess.

People who are outside of a group always hate the ones in the group for their togetherness.  This is why they make fun of the Aggie Spirit - because they have nothing similar to it in their lives.  The sad thing is that A&M welcomes everyone into the family, and remembers them all when they are gone, so those who hate it are the miserable ones who exclude themselves.

You saw this thing in school when you were growing up.  The loner always hated the large, happy groups of friends.  It's the same reason why that boy in Jonesboro, AR fired a gun at all those kids who were holding hands praying.  People hate people who care for one another, and they hate it most of all when God is involved, as He was today at the ceremony, and on every plaque of the memorial.

Dude, we've all been parts of groups. We've all felt "togetherness." But our groups didn't kill people.

It's the DEATHS for the vanity of alumni feeling pride in their group that we're upset with. It's not the general concept of togetherness. IT'S THE DEATH.

Geez. This continues to be an Aggie joke.

SpaceCity,

My group didn't kill people. The Aggie community did not kill those twelve kids. A freak accident did. Sure, there may have been errors of human judgment leading to that accident, as there are in any time and place, but that's not the same as accusing my "group" of killing people. I can't believe what you are saying.

Just a stab in the dark here, but I think what he was trying to say was if Koresh (a loner) had gone to A&M, maybe he would have become part of the whole camaraderie that A&M is famous for, and things might have turned out differently for not only Koresh but a whole lot of other people connected with that mess.

I appreciate your point, Pineda, but I do not think that's what dbigtex was saying. I have known the guy too long, and I don't think that that is what is in his character to say. My actual theory, if you want to know, is that he doesn't really like A&M, given its associations with conservatism, "redneck" culture, and religion, which he apparently associates with being in a cult, and so he decided to take a nice jab at us on the day that we are mourning our dead. I'll wait and see what he has to say.

Does anyone else notice, by the way, that this thread simply started out as Aggies talking somberly about the memorial, and then was hijacked by people who couldn't resist taking shots at our camraderie and what we stand for? Noone was talking about why bonfire happened until these people brought it up. Why the hate?

Aggie spirit 'never stronger'

It was a day to remember tradition and tragedy. But mostly, it was a day to remember the 12 who couldn't be there

By ALLAN TURNER

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

COLLEGE STATION - After a night of heavy rain and a morning of leaden clouds, the sun came out Thursday, almost as if on cue, for the tearful dedication of Texas A&M University's memorial to students killed and injured in the 1999 collapse of the Aggie Bonfire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday marked the fifth anniversary of the 59-foot-tall log tower's fall, in which 12 Aggies were killed and 27 injured.

As students sprawled from the dedication site onto the lawn of the administration building

Accidents are CAUSED by people. Accidents are not the result of mystical voodoo. Accidents are caused by PEOPLE.

Aggies worked the crane. Aggies designed the stack. Aggies built the stack. Aggies worked recklessly (drunk), designed it recklessly (student engineers), and built it recklessly (drunk & drowsy). Aggies negligently killed other Aggies.

The deaths would have been avoided if the A&M had acted like a reasonably prudent person. It did not. Instead, Aggies ignored safety concerns. By not even realizing that people caused this accident, you're showing the rest of us that you'd do it the same way next time. You've learned nothing from this tragedy. That's why its an Aggie joke.

In this case, the accident was CAUSED by Aggies acting recklessly.

Cite your experience with Bonfire and Texas A&M. How much of this have you seen yourself, and how much have you relied on other sources for?

When did I say that this accident wasn't caused by people? Every accident is caused by people - and every person makes mistakes. The way bonfire was built was a mistake. I've said that already. I also said that it should be brought back if it can be done in a safe manner. I didn't say I would do it the same way next time, contrary to what you wrote. I've learned plenty from this tragedy.

As for you... I'm sorry, but your posts on this topic clearly do not stem from concern for the lost. I've seen people mourning the loss who don't think Bonfire should be continued, and they do not talk like you. You are using this tragedy as an excuse to attack and make fun of A&M. Otherwise, why would you keep referring to Aggie jokes? Noone was talking about continuing bonfire when you showed up on this thread; they were talking about the memorial.

You are posturing as someone who is concerned for safety and those who have died, when in fact your whole attitude is one of derisiveness and hate. Where were you during the memorial service yesterday? Talking to you gives me the creeps. Ironically, your avatar seems like the perfect image for your personality. You seem like a sick person.

I am sorry, but someone has to say it...

ATM can bring about a great sense of togetherness if you are WHITE.

As of 2003, out of the 44,813 students on campus, just 1,051 were African-American. I wonder how many of those were on athletic scholarship?

Since 1999, the student populations for African-Americans and Asian-Americans have DECLINED.

To this day, ATM remains over 82% white. That is shameful in a state as diverse as Texas.

Over the past few years, there have been major incidences of race-related problems on campus and a HUGE scandal involving rape and hazing in the sacred corp of cadets. Yet, most aggies turn a blind eye to these things and then spout off to outsiders that we "just don't understand" what it means to be an Aggie and that we have no business talking about "ATM family" issues!

I had hoped to stay out of this conversation. However, when someone persists in asking for it, eventually I have to cave.

My remark about David Koresh was purposely ambiguous, a sort of literary Rorschach test. You could take it as a compliment or as an insult. Pineda chose to see the good in it, and you chose to see the evil. Neither response surprises me.

I just love how those who are on the outside looking in speak with such pretention and disdain for Aggies and Texas A&M.

Scroll up. No one spoke with disdain for Aggies prior to your remark, only towards the poor planning and execution of the bonfire. You made the conscious decision to create an offense where none existed.

Anyone who presumes to attack the A&M bonfire and what it stood for needs to ask himself two questions:

Have I ever participated in something meaningful or sacred?  Are there traditions that I am a part of, that bond me to other people, living or dead?  Is there anything in my life that I can point to and say, "this has a deeper meaning than it does on the surface"?  Or am I just a whining postmodern brat raised on video games and MTV, who's never hiked in the woods, swung an ax, or built a fire, living in a godless, sterile, commercialized culture with no meaningful connection with those who have left or even those around me?

Now, I'm starting to get angry. How dare you? The implication is clear; either you're an Aggie, or you're a styrofoam munching, glassy-eyed misanthropic zombie. How condescending - and inaccurate.

The fact that tens of thousands of people will be travelling from all over to attend the service in College Station today, for twelve people that most of them never met, is testament that the Aggie Spirit is in fact a very real and very meaningful thing, contrary to the laughs and deprecations of envious, insecure (or why else would they waste time making fun of us?) types who are not a part of it.  Most of us have attended college, but unless your college happens to be Texas A&M University, or maybe one of the military academies, it could never show such commitment as this.

Let's reframe this, shall we? After bragging about the superior social and spiritual aspects of Aggiedom, combined with open contempt for the rest of the world, you're suddenly some sensitive little flower, and the Big Meanies are picking on you. I have no feelings towards Aggies in general, and prefer to think that you are not representative of that body. You're demanding that people should feel envious of you. I, for one, am not.

People who are outside of a group always hate the ones in the group for their togetherness.  This is why they make fun of the Aggie Spirit - because they have nothing similar to it in their lives.  The sad thing is that A&M welcomes everyone into the family, and remembers them all when they are gone, so those who hate it are the miserable ones who exclude themselves.

You saw this thing in school when you were growing up.  The loner always hated the large, happy groups of friends.  It's the same reason why that boy in Jonesboro, AR fired a gun at all those kids who were holding hands praying.  People hate people who care for one another, and they hate it most of all when God is involved, as He was today at the ceremony, and on every plaque of the memorial.

O, omniscient one! Now you can read the minds and understand the motives of people you haven't even met. Miss Cleo, eat your heart out. See, I knew you didn't mean it when you said "A&M welcomes everyone into the family"; therefore my David Keresh remark. No. "People hate people who care for each other"? Sir, you know nothing about me. I have a family who loves me, and lifelong friends. Most adults eventually move on past high school, but if this helps, I was the Prom King. Big f-ing deal. Eventually, people grow up and acquire deeper values than adolescents - some people, anyway. I think it's wonderful that Aggies feel a special bond. I think it's terrible that you assume no one else is capable of having one.

I appreciate your point, Pineda, but I do not think that's what dbigtex was saying.  I have known the guy too long, and I don't think that that is what is in his character to say.  My actual theory, if you want to know, is that he doesn't really like A&M, given its associations with conservatism, "redneck" culture, and religion, which he apparently associates with being in a cult, and so he decided to take a nice jab at us on the day that we are mourning our dead.  I'll wait and see what he has to say.

Does anyone else notice, by the way, that this thread simply started out as Aggies talking somberly about the memorial, and then was hijacked by people who couldn't resist taking shots at our camraderie and what we stand for?  Noone was talking about why bonfire happened until these people brought it up.  Why the hate?

Why the hate, indeed? Maybe it has something to do with your gratuitous character assassinations. Maybe it has to do with your hysterical defense against non-existant insults, the ones you fabricated yourself. Some people, including your fellow Aggies, have the notion that perhaps God, friendship, and community exist outside the world of Texas A&M.

"No one was talking about why the bonfire happened until these people brought it up"? Why the hell not? When twelve promising young lives are snuffed out, shouldn't people ask why, and if such a tragic event can be averted in the future?

Traditions can be fine things - or not. As I understand it, A&M started off as an exclusively white, male, Protestant school. That this 'tradition' has been discarded speaks highly of those who had the courage to change it. Perhaps a dangerous, environmentally destructive tradition (the bonfire) can be adapted to something more productive, while fostering the strong feeling of community which distinguishes this fine school.

I am sorry, but someone has to say it...

ATM can bring about a great sense of togetherness if you are WHITE.

As of 2003, out of the 44,813 students on campus, just 1,051 were African-American. I wonder how many of those were on athletic scholarship?

Since 1999, the student populations for African-Americans and Asian-Americans have DECLINED.

To this day, ATM remains over 82% white. That is shameful in a state as diverse as Texas.

Over the past few years, there have been major incidences of race-related problems on campus and a HUGE scandal involving rape and hazing in the sacred corp of cadets. Yet, most aggies turn a blind eye to these things and then spout off to outsiders that we "just don't understand" what it means to be an Aggie and that we have no business talking about "ATM family" issues!

Cite your experience with A&M. How much time have you spent on campus? How much of this are you getting from other sources.

First, your facts are wrong. Enrollment of minority students rose 42% last year, as A&M admissions officers actively recruit minorities, giving them phone calls and visiting their homes. We have a new Vice President for Campus Diversity, an Office of Multicultural Affairs, are planning a statue dedicated to the idea of diversity next to our main building, and just hosted a summit on the issue of diversifying campus that saw active participation.

Have you ever considered that perhaps the reason there aren't many minorities at A&M is that minorities don't want to go to A&M? Over the past several years, a very low percentage of minorities accepted to A&M have chosen to attend. In other words, WE are welcoming THEM, but THEY are rejecting US.

I have lived at A&M for two years, in 1998 and this year, and I have been associated with it and visited it for several years. I have had friends here who are black, asian, and Indian. My current roommate is Vietnamese. I have known professors who are black. Most of them love the place, and are happy here! I have NEVER ONCE seen or heard about a racist incident. I have been in groups of friends of mixed races, have seen people of different races joking with each other, talking to each other, singing and swaying arm and arm at football games.

In 1998, when I was a student, a black student was elected Student President, in a huge campus-wide popular election. HOW DOES A RACIST SCHOOL ELECT A BLACK STUDENT PRESIDENT????!!!!!

You have no leg to stand on. Your statements are wrong and hurtful. You are part of a different prejudice - prejudice of urban dwellers and liberals AGAINST rural whites. These people try to perpetuate the image of us as a racist society because they hate us, hate our beliefs, hate our politics, and are trying to smear us. A couple of months ago, somebody printed up a bunch of fliers supposedly attributed to a conservative student group that contained hateful messages against blacks and jews, and spread them all over campus. This was done by liberals trying to smear conservatives. It is very sick, and almost hard to believe, but there are people in this state who WANT A&M to be racist, WANT to believe that what was true in the past is true now, and FALSELY accuse it of racism in defiance of fact or reason. You are one of these people, and you make me sick.

dbigtex,

You are wrong to read everything I said as an attack on you. I never said that friendship, community, and God don't exist outside of A&M (although I did suggest that no other college manifests it to the same extent). I did not say that everyone outside of A&M is a "styrofoam munching.." etc., and I do not have contempt for the rest of the world! You are misreading me. I have contempt for people who make fun of us for the spiritual aspect of our lives. I see THESE people as representatives of a culture where spirituality doesn't exist. Otherwise, why would they hate us for it?

I wonder why you don't notice the disdain for A&M expressed by others on this forum. Scroll up, and you will see where we have been made fun of for "mystical voodoo," etc. So I defended these "spiritual" things. I did NOT however say that they cannot exist elsewhere, but simply that it is better to have spirit and community than alienation and sterility. If you think I did, I am sorry. I know that many other cases of human bonding exist; excuse me for defending this one.

As for the David Koresh thing... sorry dbigtex, but I don't for a second believe that you meant to say anything positive about A&M in that remark. I posed a few questions about what you were trying to say in a response post, and you never answered them. I think someone who didn't intend to offend religious people would have immediately answered those and cleared up the confusion - but you didn't. I can't believe that the remark was as innocuous as you say.

I'm sorry for all the misunderstanding and emotion, but really, when people attack an institution (and yes, they did attack it) on its day of mourning, what on earth do they expect? I'm going to defend it, and my defense is going to be emotional.

My facts are all taken off of the official www.tamu.edu website comparing enrollment trends and figures from 1999-2003. So, if you have a complaint with them, take it up with the institution!

Additionally, has it ever occured to you to ask why minorities are not wanting to attend ATM or is it just easier to say "we are accepting and they are rejecting?

As for my personal experiences with TAMU...

My older brother is a graduate.

I have been a "visiting" fan at numerous sporting events.

I have spoken to 4 undergraduate sociology classes as part of a speaker's bureau.

I have spent numerous weekends visiting friends who were students.

I have been to the Dixie Chicken.

Thank you for clarifying your position. I hope to clarify my own.

As for the David Koresh thing... sorry dbigtex, but I don't for a second believe that you meant to say anything positive about A&M in that remark.  I posed a few questions about what you were trying to say in a response post, and you never answered them.  I think someone who didn't intend to offend religious people would have immediately answered those and cleared up the confusion - but you didn't.  I can't believe that the remark was as innocuous as you say.

Is this the post to which you're referring?

My actual theory, if you want to know, is that he doesn't really like A&M, given its associations with conservatism, "redneck" culture, and religion, which he apparently associates with being in a cult, and so he decided to take a nice jab at us on the day that we are mourning our dead.  I'll wait and see what he has to say.

I see a statement - an assumption - not a question.

I'll freely admit that the David Koresh remark was over the top. That he and the Branch Davidians felt an intense need to coalesce was the point. I meant it the way pineda took it (that a sense of community such is offered by A&M might have fulfilled this need in a healthier way), and also as a cautionary example of the dangers of an 'Us vs Them' view of the world, which is one of the characteristics of a cult. That being said, a tight-knit community must, by definition, have some insular qualities. The Aggie Spirit is something of which I am not a part, and I acknowlege that, without envy or resentment.

I respect A&M for its superb accomplishments in academics and research. The qualities of conservatism, "redneck" culture and religion are not, in themselves, displeasing to me. As someone who is considered liberal, urban and with agnostic tendancies, I too feel that my core values may be misunderstood. I too am dismayed by a society that seems to embrace the Seven Deadly Sins so readily.

The assumption that any person or group has a lock on morality or values is what's so disturbing to me. As someone who was reared in a conservative, rural, church-going family, please believe me that I do not sneer at that way of life. Neither Jeff Foxworthy nor "Will & Grace" portray an accurate view of their respective worlds, but I can laugh at both, without malice.

We both have our crosses to bear - you, as an Aggie, me as a Montrose-dwelling homosexual. We're stereotyped and disliked for all the wrong reasons, and it becomes very frustrating. I offer my sincere condolences on the loss of your classmates, and believe that God will comfort you. I hope we can continue to learn from one another.

I'm fine with your spirituality just as long as you understand that you have no right to force it down everyone's throats.

I think the bonfire tradition is silly, but I believe in personal liberty so I won't oppose anyone's right to do it. You cannot always protect people from themselves. However, I do think the school should not have anything to do with this, nor should they allow it on school property. It's a liability issue, and I believe they just payed a sum of money to the dead students' families.

My facts are all taken off of the official www.tamu.edu website comparing enrollment trends and figures from 1999-2003. So, if you have a complaint with them, take it up with the institution!

Additionally, has it ever occured to you to ask why minorities are not wanting to attend ATM or is it just easier to say "we are accepting and they are rejecting?

As for my personal experiences with TAMU...

My older brother is a graduate.

I have been a "visiting" fan at numerous sporting events.

I have spoken to 4 undergraduate sociology classes as part of a speaker's bureau.

I have spent numerous weekends visiting friends who were students.

I have been to the Dixie Chicken.

A&M increased its minority enrollment by 42% last year.

A racist university would not elect a black student president.

Yes, people do in fact decide to hate A&M and its "racist" rural culture without checking out the facts.

Texas A&M is trying to reach out to minorities, accepts minorities, and does not deserve to be called racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You owe me an apology.

What on earth are you talking about?  What does any of this have to do with David Koresh?

Are you calling us a cult because we pray to God when we remember our dead?  Does that make us the equivalent of David Koresh?  Is this how you see people who have religious faith?

This was the post to which I was referring - my original response to your post.

I agree with just about everything you said. I hope we can continue to understand one another. Sorry about all the strife.

Just think...if David Koresh had gone to A&M that whole unfortunate Waco thing could have been avoided.

Thanks. Thanks for hating on Aggies and war heros. Thanks for making a joke out of people who have served their country and given their lives in service to their country so that you could sit here and talk trash about them. I'm sure they love that. I'm an Aggie. Both my parents are Aggies. I have been to bonfires since I was very little. The fact of the situation remains that the collapse of the stack and the death of these twelve individuals was a tragedy. However what many of you dont realize is that the bonfire was not something that was frivioulously thrown together. This was a tradition at Texas A&M. The bonfire was a time for Old Ags to meet New Ags and spend time with them. Bonfire was something put on by the students and the instution to honor all Aggies past, present, and future. Additionally, the bonfire symbolizes the deep burning love that all Aggies have for their school. Understandably, some of the practices that took place at the bonfire were unsafe. Now that is a reason to get uspet. It is treasonous for all of you to sit here and make jokes about an Aggie tragedy. In the 1970's, when my parents attended, the bonfires were twice as big as they are now, with no tragic results. Admittedly, this does have some inherent danger, so does walking to your car or driving to work. Everything in our world is that way. Why do you want to hate on the Aggies in such a dark moment. The bonfire was a tradition at A&M that stood for the love of the school and the devotion of all Ags to one another. The bonfire was their way of symbolizing that. And it was a damn good way too. To poke fun at one Aggie is to poke fun at all Aggies. Making fun of an Aggie is disrespecting all 7 of Texas A&M's Congressional Medal of Honor Winners. All seven of them have given their lives in service to you. Not because they liked you or felt like it was the right thing. They did it out of a deep running passion and desire to keep their country free and to sacrifice for the good of everyone else. I despise whoever made the comment about David Koresh comment. You probably aren't an Aggie and will never be one. Aggies are loyal people. Loyal to their state, to their country and to each other. Aggies make it a point to be friendly to everyone, as is evidenced by saying, "Howdy!" to each other in passing. Sitting here taking cheap shots at them behind their backs is low. I'm sure that most of you have something that you are dedicated to, whether it be a school or a church or a family or organization. How would you feel if someone you didn't know made these slanderous and downright rude comments about the instution for which you were passionate? Would you get upset or angry? Thats exactly what Aggies do when they hear all of these ridiculous remarks about how the school is stupid or that Aggies are dilusional. Aggies are as rational as everyone else. They simply understand that they are part of something bigger than their selves. Aggies do not think that they are better than anyone else, they are just loyal to their school and to each other and thats what makes them special. So I just want to tell you all thanks for taking cheap shots at all seven Medal of Honor Winners, all of whom participated in bonfire. Now you should go spit on their graves.

aggiemustang,

Thank you for your evidence of Aggie logic. Discussion about the bonfire and David Koresh means "hating on war heros?" No redpot who was killed in the bonfire collapse nor Koresh were war heros. How you came to your conclusion is confusing.

Few Aggies questioned the bonfire because it was "a tradition." Some traditions needed to be questioned. Especially when they are dangerous enough to kill people.

How many people have to die for an Aggie tradition to change? Evidently a lot more than died under that bonfire stack.