Sixth Ward Demolition

In June, the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission (HAHC) unanimously denied a Certificate of Appropriateness for the demolition of the historic 1880s home at 1814 Lubbock (pictured) in the Old Sixth Ward. The new owner plans to replace the existing one-story wood frame cottage with a multistory home. HAHC denied the application on the grounds that the project would forever remove a historic structure from this National Register and City of Houston Historic District, and that the new construction would not be compatible with the surrounding neighborhood. The proposed building will feature a metal, concrete block and stucco exterior with a turret rising to a height of 49 feet. The surrounding properties are one-story wood frame cottages. Although HAHC denied the Certificate of Appropriateness, the property owner is still going forward with his plans. Houston

From the linked article:

Two houses in the 1800 block of Lubbock proudly display plaques declaring them to be in the National Register of Historic Places; with restoration work, the Valentine house could also qualify.

Isn

Lot of people say that about houses in the Heights, as well. Who, I might ask, decides what is tacky and not worthy of preservation. Those row houses, for instance, mean a lot historically, to the descendants of the former slaves who lived in them.

Some houses and buildings do not become historical until almost all other buildings from that period are gone. Once they are gone, nothing is left. There are only a small number of 6th ward houses left. At this rate, they'll be gone soon. The attractiveness, or lack thereof, is not what makes them historical.

BTW, the restoration needed to be included on the register, may include removing add-ons that are not of historical significance. The house remains historical, but to qualify for listing, it needs to meet certain criteria. Not every historical structure gets on the register.

What's disheartening is that the destruction of historic houses in the Sixth Ward will have a dampening effect on future restoration and rehabilitations throughout the city.

The Sixth Ward wouldn't have any appeal to these Johnny-Come-Latelys if a few dedicated people hadn't worked very hard to elevate conditions from its abysmal state twenty years ago. Preservationists who put sweat equity into their houses are motivated more by affection for historic structures and neighborhoods than to turn a quick buck.

This seems to confuse many Houstonians. I guess an appreciation for old architecture and intact neighborhoods is something not easily acquired later in life. Like playing a musical instrument or fluency in language, perhaps exposure at an early age is required.

If preservationists are convinced that their work is for naught, then we can forget about these urban pioneers saving other decaying neighborhoods - and no one benefits.

and also, like it was posted in the other thread, something like over 99% of houston areas are not in the "historic neighborhood" designation.

that leaves just about anywhere else for these people to build their dream home.

they seem to want to stick their perceived "holier-than-thou" attitude where it is least-appreciated.

Guest danax
Is this the Valentine home?

If so, what's sad, is that an "architec" wants to tear it down.

You would think an architect would have some kind of heart-appreciation for a neighborhood in love with.....the architecture there. Not. She obviously doesn't give a rodent's rump about any of that, "it's not her bag". She probably loves all of the attention she's getting, and the knowing that her masterpiece will be basking in at least 15 minutes of infamy once it's built.

i, for one, (and the homeowners of that specific neighborhood i am sure) just don't want the future of specific places

(re)created by and for pretentious, in-your-face a*sholes...

there are places for them - and it is probably not in that neighborhood.

there are a few strong organizations in houston that do their best to advocate preservation -

it just isn't enough, though

What do you think it will take?

What! The homes in the 6th ward are a lot of 100 year + structures. THAT is what makes them historic. THAT is what makes the "hood" so unique. THAT is what makes these homes worth saving.

The problem is we are in a cycle where the area was run down, and then as developers came into surroding areas, people who have live through the run down period were holding out for higher property values. A few people came in a this time, and bless them, they restored BEAUTIFULLY some remarkable homes that could be considered museaums. Now, the land value is properly recognized and people like myself, who would renovate if the land was cheap enough to justify spending the extra money on the renovation, cannot afford to.

So, what, the option is just to say ehhh...no big deal. the house wouldn't be historic unless it was pretty, so just trash it? NO. I don't know what the answer is, but that isn't it!!!

oh, another thing that TOTALLY tweaks me is that there ARE empty lots in the 6th ward...there ARE homes that are well beyond repair....Why couldn't they buy one of those and leave homes like this to people who would restore them?

Because, they WANT to be difficult, they WANT to be in the paper, and they think that all of the beautifully restored homes are an eyesore. They are really not going to enjoy their neighboors...

RedScare, I know exactly what you are talking about, especially regarding the houses in the Heights. There were a number of wonderful mansions torn down, and one in particular, the Mills House, the largest and possibly the most beautiful in the Heights was razed and replaced by an ugly apartment complex. And when I had heard that the Cooley House had been torn down, I wanted to cry.

However, back when these structures were being torn down, no one wanted a huge house in a run-down neighborhood. They tried to save the Cooley house, but it was vacant, and transients were living in it. It not only became an eyesore, it became a hazard. So I can understand why it had to go.

That is why I am so grateful to Alan Bies who bought and restored the Milroy House, and to Bart Truxillo for his work on the house at Harvard and 18th. I firmly believe they are greatly and directly responsible for the resurrection of the Heights.

That being said, had I been the owner of one of those old Heights mansions, and I was told by the government that I could not tear down my own house and build what I wanted in its place, and if no one was willing to pay a fair price, I would have not have been a happy camper. After all, this is Texas, and we Texans don

Zoning is pretty much communism and it ruins property rights. It also steadily reduces property values instead of increasing it. Another thread produce a great article about this yesterday.

You act as though this were only a question of the rights of the person who bought the house.
Perhaps that is your opinion, but it is not what I am saying.

There are many sides from which to look at this issue. However, the overriding aspect is an individual's rights as a property owned. The way a person chooses to exercise those rights may be questionable, or they may be against the law or deed restrictions. But those choices do take precedence over what others think of it.

There was a couple who bought the house next to my mom, razed the existing structure and built a new one. It was the talk of the neighborhood, and there were some who wanted to tar and feather the couple and run them out of the area. The house was huge, unconventional and was covered in corrugated tin.

If that couple had not been allowed to build the home of their dreams, the area, and the city would have been deprived of a GREAT SHOWPLACE!

Interesting... that's the lady who did the murals at Bush Intercontinental.

You say that people shouldn't be bothered by what others think as long as their choices comply with deed restrictions and the law. Fair enough. This is the reason why I think there should be a law that prevents people from building homes that destroy the environment for the other homes on their street - in certain neighborhoods. Trust me, a great creative artist should be industrious enough to find a place outside or on the outskirts of the neighborhood to suit his or her needs. Maybe he or she can be a pioneer as it were, and bring something to an area that wasn't nice already. I love what that guy did with The Orange Show, but there are certain streets in the city of Houston where something like The Orange Show would not be appropriate, and should not be allowed for the sake of the other people living on them.

Don't take offense at anything I say by the way, my ire is not directed at you, it is at the people who don't understand the ambience of a nice residential area, and are destroying the few nice, flavorful ones that Houston has. Look, it takes anywhere from twenty to fifty people in order to have a great street. All it takes is one to screw it up. In a city of five million people, there are enough bozos with idiotic ideas and lots of money to where if we don't do something to protect the few great streets we have, we won't have any left. And that will be a loss to all of us, not just the people living there.

To make the pending demolition and monster house even more difficult to digest, try this on for size...

Ms. Isabel purchased her current home from Avenue Community Development Corporation (www.avenuecdc.org) some time ago. As a first time homebuyer she likely received down payment assistance, homebuyer education and a freshly renovated home in Avenue's target area (the Washington Avenue corridor).

The irony here is that her current home has appreciated significantly. She is poised to invest her gains in a wart on the landscape. The gain is due in large part to the hard work and effort of an organization dedicated to neighborhood preservation.

It seems that 'preservation was her bag' when the situation offered and it is now no longer convenient. Shame, shame indeed.

To make the pending demolition and monster house even more difficult to digest, try this on for size...

Ms. Isabel purchased her current home from Avenue Community Development Corporation (www.avenuecdc.org) some time ago.  As a first time homebuyer she likely received down payment assistance, homebuyer education and a freshly renovated home in Avenue's target area (the Washington Avenue corridor). 

The irony here is that her current home has appreciated significantly.  She is poised to invest her gains in a wart on the landscape.  The gain is due in large part to the hard work and effort of an organization dedicated to neighborhood preservation. 

It seems that 'preservation was her bag' when the situation offered and it is now no longer convenient.  Shame, shame indeed.

Good point, I didn't know that.

Also welcome to the forum.

• 1 month later...

it's official:

Project No:

Date:

9/8/2005

USE:

DEMO RES/SEWER DISC

Owner / Occupant:

MARIA ISABEL

Job Address: