Mayor Proposes Special District To Protect Sixth Ward

musicman

Acknowledging that Houston has neglected its history, Mayor Bill White promised Wednesday to develop a powerful new law to protect Victorian-era houses in the Old Sixth Ward.

He proposed creation of a special district within the neighborhood west of downtown with design guidelines for construction and renovation, along with financial incentives to discourage demolition of historical houses.

Though many details of the proposed preservation ordinance have not been worked out, White's aides said the measure is unlikely to include an outright prohibition on demolishing historical buildings.

Preservationists said the mayor's comments reflect growing support for stronger efforts to protect historical neighborhoods and buildings in a city whose preservation laws have been criticized as inadequate.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4516655.html

Preservationists said the mayor's comments reflect growing support for stronger efforts to protect historical neighborhoods and buildings in a city whose preservation laws have been criticized as inadequate.

Don't get your hopes up. Developers founded and created Houston. They own the Houston City Council body and soul and they run this city.

I don't believe Houston will ever have a historic preservation ordinance with any teeth in it, because developers won't allow Council to do anything that would restrict their ability to do anything they want with their property.

Yes I know that sounds cynical but more than 50 years of exposure to Houston city government has made me that way.

Don't get your hopes up. Developers founded and created Houston. They own the Houston City Council body and soul and they run this city.

I don't believe Houston will ever have a historic preservation ordinance with any teeth in it, because developers won't allow Council to do anything that would restrict their ability to do anything they want with their property.

Yes I know that sounds cynical but more than 50 years of exposure to Houston city government has made me that way.

Psst...this is a subsidy to developers.

Halleluleah on that!

I call that being a realist no sugarcoating.

Truth is more of a stranger than fiction. - Mark Twain

I have to agree with you FilioScotia. IMO the Mayor's "feel good" programs aren't making many feel good.

• 1 month later...

Hoping to save Houston's most historic structures, the city is developing policies that would for the first time grant a permanent, total city tax exemption to properties designated as protected landmarks.

The new tax incentive, which excludes single-family residences but could affect dozens of other buildings in and around the city's core, is among several proposals that could foster preservation and maintenance of historically significant structures, officials say.

The plans also call for a reduction in the percentage of neighborhood support required to designate a historic district, and other revisions to city rules that the City Council will consider soon.

While preservationists might prefer a tougher law banning any demolition of historic landmarks, the compromise could be more palatable to developers and property rights advocates who argue the city shouldn't dictate how owners manage their structures.

"I hope they'll be significant," Mayor Bill White said Wednesday, referring to the proposals. "We want to create some incentives for people who protect their properties with this landmark status."

Preservationists applauded the recommendations, though some expressed concern that the tax incentive excludes residences and protects only individual buildings rather than neighborhoods.

Buildings that meet the criteria would be eligible for a full, permanent exemption from city property taxes, and officials said the city will ask Harris County to provide a tax exemption as well. Owners would have to refund any tax savings if they altered the building's facade.

Another key component of the city proposal would lower the amount of property owner support required for the creation of a historic district, from 67 percent to 51 percent.

Another revision to existing preservation rules would prohibit new development for five years if a designated historic structure is demolished. Any new buildings after that time would have to get approval from the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission.

article

Guest danax
Another revision to existing preservation rules would prohibit new development for five years if a designated historic structure is demolished. Any new buildings after that time would have to get approval from the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission.

article

That should stop a lot of destruction.

I think the tax exemption, especially if they can convince Harris Co. to go along with it, is a huge incentive.

I wonder if they removed the current requirement for $50K or more to be spent on renovation in order to receive the tax relief. That keeps the DIY person with the single family home out of the game in many cases.

That should stop a lot of destruction.

I think the tax exemption, especially if they can convince Harris Co. to go along with it, is a huge incentive.

I wonder if they removed the current requirement for $50K or more to be spent on renovation in order to receive the tax relief. That keeps the DIY person with the single family home out of the game in many cases.

it surprises me how many spend way more than 50k. i don't think the city could determine whether a person spent at least 50k but if the house looks good hopefully they won't be turned down.

• 3 months later...

linda ellerbee shows support for OSW:

http://blogs.chron.com/cityhall/archives/2...ng_home_wi.html

The Old Sixth Ward gives all of us who love Houston an opportunity to view progress in a new way--as something more than continually replacing the old with the new--or the phony. The OSW isn't a replica or a museum. It is the real deal: a living, breathing piece of who we were, who we are--and who (and what) we intend to be. Neighborhoods like this can be part of our history and a part of our future. They already are.

I agree with this 100% ... this city abhors preservation ... unless a big developer is doing it and flipping it for sale. Heck, we even tore down landmark hotels and other icons to make way for 'new'.

• The title was changed to Mayor Proposes Special District To Protect Sixth Ward

Archived