Lighting Up The Montrose Bridges Over I59

• 1 month later...

Who do you report it to?

Because it looks as if they've already started slacking no more than 1 month into the relighting. I;ve notice that one of the arches (the 1st one you pass under traveling southwest on 59) is completely out, and the 2nd one already has a bulb out.

I thought they were going to do it different this time around. Didn't they spend 4 million on installation of these lights which were supposed to be LED? Would they do all of this if it were just going to go neglected again?  Was this just a temporary effort?

Extremely disappointed.

4 hours ago, scarface said:

Who do you report it to?

Because it looks as if they've already started slacking no more than 1 month into the relighting. I;ve notice that one of the arches (the 1st one you pass under traveling southwest on 59) is completely out, and the 2nd one already has a bulb out.

I thought they were going to do it different this time around. Didn't they spend 4 million on installation of these lights which were supposed to be LED? Would they do all of this if it were just going to go neglected again?  Was this just a temporary effort?

Extremely disappointed.

They are still working on them....

http://swamplot.com/piecemeal-59-bridge-blackouts-just-part-of-the-post-super-bowl-plan/2017-03-17/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Complete.........but not finished.......

Dear Community Stakeholder –

We wanted to share with you updates regarding the bridges over Hwy 59/69. You may have noticed additional testing and perhaps some outages of the bridge lighting. As is the case with any innovative project, some issues were encountered during installation that have caused some sections to malfunction. The project is still under the direct control of TxDOT and their contractor, Third Coast. The contractor is working as quickly as possible to get all sections functioning. The Montrose District special projects team is also working with the contractor to address the issues. We expect that we may encounter a few more intermittent outages, as we planned and budgeted for with TxDOT. Currently, the contractor is working through the punch list period towards the certificate of final completion. The expectation is for this process to conclude by the end of the third or fourth quarter this year.

As always, we would appreciate it very much if you would share this information with your colleagues, friends and neighbors so that we can reach as wide an audience as possible.

To learn more about the District and our work please visit www.MontroseDistrict.org. Thanks! 

• 1 year later...

I haven't kept actual count, but I'm pretty sure that every time I've gone under the bridges for the past year, there has been at least 1 (and usually more) flaws in the lighting (led light sections out or wrong color or off the program...etc)  Did they make the system too complex?  I think I would have preferred a simpler lighting system that worked and didn't distract from the experience with it's "problems"

10 minutes ago, longcat said:

I haven't kept actual count, but I'm pretty sure that every time I've gone under the bridges for the past year, there has been at least 1 (and usually more) flaws in the lighting (led light sections out or wrong color or off the program...etc)  Did they make the system too complex?  I think I would have preferred a simpler lighting system that worked and didn't distract from the experience with it's "problems"

I believe there is one that is still messed up. Who do we contact to get this fixed since the Montrose Management District doesn't exist anymore?

Edited by j_cuevas713

Just now, j_cuevas713 said:

I believe there is one that is still messed up. Who do we contact to get this fixed since the Montrose Management District doesn't exist anymore?

The city is paying the electric bill, right? My main concern is that they are just paying to keep the lights on. Who actually does the maintenance though?

2 minutes ago, Triton said:

The city is paying the electric bill, right? My main concern is that they are just paying to keep the lights on. Who actually does the maintenance though?

Good question. If this city expects to get the notoriety and publicity it wants, it can't afford to not keep these lights on. It's little things like this that draw tourism and enhance the city. Idk if anyone watched Monday Night Football with the Texans/Titans but they had a promo with Google Pixel showcasing the camera and they took a few shots of the bridges. That type of stuff is what the city can't afford to lose if it wants to continue to change the perception of outsiders. Seems minor and insignificant but it isn't.

Edited by j_cuevas713

LED bulbs are more complicated than incandescent bulbs and when there's more complication, there's more room for issues.  I'm still waiting for the promised 22 year led light bulb.  All mine seem to die within 2 or 3 years or they fade out so much that I have to replace them. 

• 3 years later...

It's gotten to the point that I wish they would just turn the lights off.  They are so messed up whenever I drive through there - it makes the city look bad by in effect highlighting for all to see how dysfunctional the city's maintenance of infrastructure is

• Like 6

I contacted the company running the lights and they said a plan would be set up Nov 2021 to get the lights repaired. I even emailed the city because Top Chef was being filmed and that had to look terrible to those from out of town. Anyways, since then nothing has been done. I don't understand how this city expects to get any national attention if it can't even handle some bridge lights. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I contacted the company running the lights and they said a plan would be set up Nov 2021 to get the lights repaired. I even emailed the city because Top Chef was being filmed and that had to look terrible to those from out of town. Anyways, since then nothing has been done. I don't understand how this city expects to get any national attention if it can't even handle some bridge lights. 

Good for you for actually contacting them.  Maybe post the contact information here, in case anyone else wants to do the same.

(Sorry if this already exists upthread.  I didn't see it.)

In reality, I don't think there is a company "running the lights."  I recently contacted the company that installed the lights.  They told me that the Montrose Management District was responsible for running and maintaining the lights (and paid for their installation).  Sadly, the Montrose Management District no longer exists.  So no one is "running the lights."  The City needs to get this figured out and, as suggested above, either turn them off or get them fixed. As is, they are embarrassing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

In reality, I don't think there is a company "running the lights."  I recently contacted the company that installed the lights.  They told me that the Montrose Management District was responsible for running and maintaining the lights (and paid for their installation).  Sadly, the Montrose Management District no longer exists.  So no one is "running the lights."  The City needs to get this figured out and, as suggested above, either turn them off or get them fixed. As is, they are embarrassing. 

I'll say it again those lights have never fully worked even after they were installed. It makes you wonder if the company who installed the lights did shotty work.

Edited by kennyc05
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

This is from Aug 2021

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for looking out for the bridge lighting. The lights are really in bad shape right now. We are currently coordinating with the City and TXDOT to get them back to 100%. Hopefully that will happen in the coming months.  

Lance Gandy

IALD, LC, IES, Assoc. AIA

G2LD gandy² lighting design

6101 north main street 

houston, tx 77009

office 713.489.5111

cell 281.796.1253

www.G2LD.com

8 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

I'll say it again those lights have never fully worked even after they were installed. It makes you wonder if the company who installed the lights did shotty work.

I've thought the same thing or they just don't do good work period. With Houston getting World Cup games, I'll bet ANYTHING these lights will be working by then. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is from Aug 2021

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for looking out for the bridge lighting. The lights are really in bad shape right now. We are currently coordinating with the City and TXDOT to get them back to 100%. Hopefully that will happen in the coming months.  

Lance Gandy

G2LD gandy² lighting design

6101 north main street 

houston, tx 77009

office 713.489.5111

cell 281.796.1253

April 29, 2022

The management district that maintained the lights was shut down a few years ago, so there is no one currently maintaining the lights.  In other words when one goes out, there is no one to replace or repair it.

Lance Gandy

G2LD gandy² lighting design
6101 n. main street
houston, texas 77009
office 713.489.5111
cell 281.796.1253
www.G2LD.com

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

April 29, 2022

The management district that maintained the lights was shut down a few years ago, so there is no one currently maintaining the lights.  In other words when one goes out, there is no one to replace or repair it.

Lance Gandy

6101 n. main street
houston, texas 77009
office 713.489.5111
cell 281.796.1253
www.G2LD.com

Wow so what can be done at this point?

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

April 29, 2022

Lance Gandy

6101 n. main street
houston, texas 77009
office 713.489.5111
cell 281.796.1253
www.G2LD.com

What was it to maintain initially they were new and they didn't work!!!!