METRO Works To Make Bus System Easier To Use

Suburban commuters like yourself are less likely to take transit than inner city commuters.  In most cities taking a commuter bus or rail takes longer than a car. 

I'm somewhat opposed to commuter rail in Houston for this reason.  While a couple of corridors have good potential, ridership likely wouldn't be much more than P&R buses already. 

This is a separate issue though.  How would you like P&R bus service improved (as opposed to local bus service)?  I personally think our P&R service is pretty damn good.  Local service is what needs to get better.

I agree with you on the quality of out P&R service, but would like to see them expand it to some other destinations. I'd also like to see express local bus service, like the quickline, run down Westheimer and other major arteries to give us a level of speed somewhere between the local bus and the P&R service.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you checked out this app yet Vik? It's pretty cool. Needs some polish, but seems to basically work. Has potential.

I downloaded it last night. I'm on a three week business trip in Dallas but when I come back I will use it, because it can be useful on the way home from work I can see what time the bus comes instead of just hopelessly going out and waiting.

I agree with you on the quality of out P&R service, but would like to see them expand it to some other destinations. I'd also like to see express local bus service, like the quickline, run down Westheimer and other major arteries to give us a level of speed somewhere between the local bus and the P&R service.

Are you talking about a real BRT with a separate lane or an express like in Las Vegas or San Antonio but in regular traffic, meaning just less stops?

Are you talking about a real BRT with a separate lane or an express like in Las Vegas or San Antonio but in regular traffic, meaning just less stops?

At the moment I'm talking about expanding the existing P&R to additional destinations, maybe even building a skeleton system that goes long distances along the highways from which you can then connect to nearby locations. For example, a P&R bus that goes from the Grand Parkway P&R in Katy to the Townsen or Eastex P&R from which you can catch a shuttle or local to the airport. The system is set up right now to do out and back from the suburbs to downtown and TMC. We can use the existing infrastructure, but add routes that will get us to additional destinations quicker.

As for "real" BRT, it could be implemented but doesn't it use dedicated guideways which are just roads separated from the main lanes by a barrier? Isn't that essentially the same thing as the separated HOV and toll lanes we have now or are in the process of building?

That seems like a good idea.  The Quickline is great, I've rode it a few times but there's never anyone on it unfortunately. 

METRO has said that they'd be putting up indicators at certain stops saying when the next bus will come for each route.  That's the development I'm most excited for. 

There should be more P&R destinations I agree.  But building dedicated lanes is very expensive so I'd imagine that TxDOT or some other agency would have to shoulder some of the cost. 

That seems like a good idea.  The Quickline is great, I've rode it a few times but there's never anyone on it unfortunately. 

METRO has said that they'd be putting up indicators at certain stops saying when the next bus will come for each route.  That's the development I'm most excited for. 

There should be more P&R destinations I agree.  But building dedicated lanes is very expensive so I'd imagine that TxDOT or some other agency would have to shoulder some of the cost. 

Metro needs to find ways to reach out to non-traditional riders. Today they are having free rides on metrorail to celebrate 1 million boardings. They could select bus routes around the city and do something similar to get people to try the bus out.

I'm thinking that we should expand the hov system to include all the highways around town, 610 especially, to allow speedier trips across town for buses. You could toll them using congestion pricing to keep them flowing, if needed.

The step that I would love to see is integration of real time bus data and traffic conditions into a Google Maps type application. Have it tell you your transit time and options based on your departure time and allow you to determine your best options based on that information.

The step that I would love to see is integration of real time bus data and traffic conditions into a Google Maps type application. Have it tell you your transit time and options based on your departure time and allow you to determine your best options based on that information.

That is pretty close to what the Metro App is doing (except it doesn't offer non-mass-transit options).

At the moment I'm talking about expanding the existing P&R to additional destinations, maybe even building a skeleton system that goes long distances along the highways from which you can then connect to nearby locations. For example, a P&R bus that goes from the Grand Parkway P&R in Katy to the Townsen or Eastex P&R from which you can catch a shuttle or local to the airport. The system is set up right now to do out and back from the suburbs to downtown and TMC. We can use the existing infrastructure, but add routes that will get us to additional destinations quicker.

As for "real" BRT, it could be implemented but doesn't it use dedicated guideways which are just roads separated from the main lanes by a barrier? Isn't that essentially the same thing as the separated HOV and toll lanes we have now or are in the process of building?

My main beef with the P&R buses is their lack of frequency during afternoons and weekends. If they were all interconnected timing wise and has good frequency I think more people would ride them. The issue is if you get off at a park and ride where do you go by foot? That's where connectivity to frequent local buses comes in. I think maybe that's why a brt would be much better on westheimer where there is somewhere to go once you get off.

Haha, I basically said the same thing just a few posts before.

My main beef with the P&R buses is their lack of frequency during afternoons and weekends. If they were all interconnected timing wise and has good frequency I think more people would ride them. The issue is if you get off at a park and ride where do you go by foot? That's where connectivity to frequent local buses comes in. I think maybe that's why a brt would be much better on westheimer where there is somewhere to go once you get off.

By brt on Westheimer are you talking about something like the quickline or a dedicated lane, blocked off from other traffic?

By brt on Westheimer are you talking about something like the quickline or a dedicated lane, blocked off from other traffic?

Dedicated lane. I think that would be one corridor where it would be very successful. Run it from downtown to highway 6.

Dedicated lane. I think that would be one corridor where it would be very successful. Run it from downtown to highway 6.

I agree, and I think it would be cheap to construct, at least outside the loop.  Westheimer is so damn wide, just rip out the median and put some dedicated bus lanes in.  Getting closer to downtown would be more difficult.

I agree, and I think it would be cheap to construct, at least outside the loop.  Westheimer is so damn wide, just rip out the median and put some dedicated bus lanes in.  Getting closer to downtown would be more difficult.

In that setup, how do you handle all the traffic lights between hwy 6 and 610? Are brt's normally built to hop over intersections?

In that setup, how do you handle all the traffic lights between hwy 6 and 610? Are brt's normally built to hop over intersections?

Tough call.  Grade separation would be quite expensive, similar to light rail cost.  Prioritizing signals is an option, drivers would be opposed though similar to light rail. 

It depends on how much money you want to invest.  If done right, BRT would be almost totally grade separated. 

Honestly, if we had unlimited funds, running a subway down Westheimer would be great.  Just do a cut and cover construction.  You can make it BRT, light rail, or heavy rail.  The more you spend, the more ridership it will generate.  I've always seen Westheimer as a high ridership corridor. 

Tough call. Grade separation would be quite expensive, similar to light rail cost. Prioritizing signals is an option, drivers would be opposed though similar to light rail.

I believe that the signals along Westheimer between Hwy 6 and the Beltway are all synced to Westheimer traffic already, so I'm not sure you'd hear a lot of resistance on that portion. It would be a lot tougher as you get closer to the Galleria though.

There would have to be grade separated access to the stations though.

I believe that the signals along Westheimer between Hwy 6 and the Beltway are all synced to Westheimer traffic already, so I'm not sure you'd hear a lot of resistance on that portion. It would be a lot tougher as you get closer to the Galleria though.

It needs to connect to the galleria if significant ridership is a goal.

Up until I moved out of Alief a few years ago, you had to go between 15-20 mph over the posted limit if you wanted to catch most of the greens, but you'd still catch a high number of red lights along the way.

Signage also needs improvement. Walk down Smith St. sometime, and try to discern the routes that stop at the next bus shelter from a block away. (Buses alternate between stops, so if you wait at the wrong one, you're SOL.) METRO has cleverly placed some of the route signs in such a way that the shelter blocks them from view. I'll try to post some photos.

Also, it would be helpful to add the words 'inbound' or 'outbound' on signage, so one doesn't find himself waiting on the wrong side of the street. If you've ever tried to catch a bus in an unfamiliar neighborhood, you know what I mean. 

Signage also needs improvement. Walk down Smith St. sometime, and try to discern the routes that stop at the next bus shelter from a block away. (Buses alternate between stops, so if you wait at the wrong one, you're SOL.) METRO has cleverly placed some of the route signs in such a way that the shelter blocks them from view. I'll try to post some photos.

Also, it would be helpful to add the words 'inbound' or 'outbound' on signage, so one doesn't find himself waiting on the wrong side of the street. If you've ever tried to catch a bus in an unfamiliar neighborhood, you know what I mean. 

It doesn't seem that difficult to me.  Each block has the routes clearly labeled.

And what is the meaning of 'inbound' and 'outbound' signs when you are downtown?  Aren't they all essentiall outbound? In  my experience, the direction in which they are traveling is a pretty solid clue as to which direction they are headed.

Up until I moved out of Alief a few years ago, you had to go between 15-20 mph over the posted limit if you wanted to catch most of the greens, but you'd still catch a high number of red lights along the way.

It got better when Bill White made it a priority to sync the lights. It was night and day after the sync, but that's been 8 or 9 years and it's slipped back.

It doesn't seem that difficult to me.  Each block has the routes clearly labeled.

And what is the meaning of 'inbound' and 'outbound' signs when you are downtown?  Aren't they all essentiall outbound? In  my experience, the direction in which they are traveling is a pretty solid clue as to which direction they are headed.

You don't ride the bus. That's a statement, not a question.

Since he referred to "waiting on the wrong side of the street", clearly he's talking about somewhere other than Downtown, somewhere where the streets run two ways.

Tough call.  Grade separation would be quite expensive, similar to light rail cost.  Prioritizing signals is an option, drivers would be opposed though similar to light rail. 

It depends on how much money you want to invest.  If done right, BRT would be almost totally grade separated. 

Honestly, if we had unlimited funds, running a subway down Westheimer would be great.  Just do a cut and cover construction.  You can make it BRT, light rail, or heavy rail.  The more you spend, the more ridership it will generate.  I've always seen Westheimer as a high ridership corridor. 

I guess we're about to find out how brt will be done in Houston.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Project-would-create-Uptown-transit-corridor-4427406.php?cmpid=btfpm

Since he referred to "waiting on the wrong side of the street", clearly he's talking about somewhere other than Downtown, somewhere where the streets run two ways.

Gotcha.  On the other hand, for people completely unfamiliar with the area heading for a certain destination, will they really know whether that destination is "inbound" or "outbound" compared to where they are?

Gotcha.  On the other hand, for people completely unfamiliar with the area heading for a certain destination, will they really know whether that destination is "inbound" or "outbound" compared to where they are?

It doesn't have to be inbound/outbound, you can list it as "Northbound" or "Eastbound" or whatever based on the general direction of the route. That's what they do on the PDFs of the routes on the website.

Archived