Take The Downtown Houston Shopping Survey

The Downtown Management District sent me an e-mail today asking that I let everyone know that there's a survey about downtown shopping they'd like as many people as possible to fill out.

Here's a link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/downtownshopping

It's open until January 31, 2013.

The results will be posted here: http://www.downtownhouston.org/resources/retail

I just took the survey.

And boy did i let them know that I think the sign ordinance hinders downtown from feeling like a vibrant area. Not to mention, the poor lighting.

I just took the survey.

And boy did i let them know that I think the sign ordinance hinders downtown from feeling like a vibrant area. Not to mention, the poor lighting.

I just took the survey.

I just took the survey.

What sign ordinance are you referring to?

After taking the survey, it opened up my eyes a little bit.

We are creatures of ease and practicality for the most part. I was telling a coworker that might accept a two year assignment here that no matter where she chooses to live, she will have grocery stores and necessary retail close by. Of course the special stores and "things to do" type places may not be.

Pretty much all I need is close to me in spring branch. I have a mall, hardware sore, strip centers ect, all within a few miles of my house. Going downtown would be out of my way.

I already don't shop too much, but I think of my wife's and parents shopping habits. They will go out of their way to shop for "fun", like when they don't really need anything, they just want to hang out, or when they want to get something for quality, price or scarcity. My mom will drive 45 minutes to go to the hong kong food market bc of the quality, price and scarcity of what they provide, even though it smells and is dirty in there. They will drive really far for Costco too, even though SAMs is 5 minutes away.

I also think visibility is important too. People need to easily know what stores are available downtown. Although I really love urbanism I barely have a clue what is there. Why do retailers love the freeways so much? Because you can easily see what stores are there as you drive by. You drive by downtown and you have no clue. You can drive into downtown and you still have no clue. In that sense, Houston pavilions is a failure. Even though there might be a few stores somewhere downtown, you would never know unless you drove right by it. There are so many streets and you can't see through skyscrapers. Strip centers have huge signs advertising what is available.

agree with lockmat. it was difficult to think of things i'd look for when i am downtown. i do think niche/unique/eclectic soft goods with a liquor license, in view of popular public spaces might fare well.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I did not answer one question with "likely" as to how likely I would shop downtown for shoes, hardware etc. I put "possibly" (i think that was an option) for some, but could have put "never" for all of them.

I just took the survey.

I just took the survey.

I also let them know of my disapproval of the sign ordinance.

There is a lack of signage downtown which I think adds to the confusion of where everything is.

If anyone that's never been downtown before tried to find a restaurant or establishment down in the tunnels, good luck.

You know what?You're reeal funny. LOL

I don't know how those sentences got double posted in my post. I didn't realize this until after it was too late to edit.

What sign ordinance are you referring to?

The retarded sign ordinance that doesn't allow business to hang signs above so many feet. And the one that that doesn't allow lit up signs on businss. I forget that Chipoltle is downtown. No signs except a hanging wooded sign in the front.

You know what?You're reeal funny. LOL

I don't know how those sentences got double posted in my post. I didn't realize this until after it was too late to edit.

The retarded sign ordinance that doesn't allow business to hang signs above so many feet. And the one that that doesn't allow lit up signs on businss. I forget that Chipoltle is downtown. No signs except a hanging wooded sign in the front.

It's a little hard to see how restricting the hanging of signs to lower than 42 1/2 feet above the ground would in any way harm retail endeavors.

I don't think there is any ordinance disallowing "lit up signs" on businesses downtown. Chipotle's sign is probably a result of their landlord's restrictions.

Yeah, the historic Rice Hotel would look so much better with a giant, neon, Chipotle sign hanging 30 feet off the side of the building. Downtown would be so much more awesome! I'd drive 10 miles and pass 36 other Chipotles just to eat at that one...

Yeah, the historic Rice Hotel would look so much better with a giant, neon, Chipotle sign hanging 30 feet off the side of the building. Downtown would be so much more awesome! I'd drive 10 miles and pass 36 other Chipotles just to eat at that one...

Look, you guys don't have to agree with me and nobody is saying that these signs need to be giant. Your sarcasm is funny, but it still doesn't change the fact that people are attracted to lit up areas, especially at night. I've been saying this for the last 7 1/2 years I've been on this forum. The developers of the Houston Pavilions even wanted to hang more lit up signs when it first was developed to fill pedestrian voids.  Since downtown is so spread out, it would definitely help connect designated areas.

I've posted a few pictures of downtown New Orleans/Bourbon Street to show how it can add to the vibrancy.

new-orleans-night-g_793577c.jpg2489489620_2923544494.jpg

Now compare that to downtown Houston's drab signage. YAWWNNN!!!!

houston%20flying%20saucer.JPG

Look, you guys don't have to agree with me and nobody is saying that these signs need to be giant. Your sarcasm is funny, but it still doesn't change the fact that people are attracted to lit up areas, especially at night. I've been saying this for the last 7 1/2 years I've been on this forum. The developers of the Houston Pavilions even wanted to hang more lit up signs when it first was developed to fill pedestrian voids.  Since downtown is so spread out, it would definitely help connect designated areas.

I've posted a few pictures of downtown New Orleans/Bourbon Street to show how it can add to the vibrancy.

Now compare that to downtown Houston's drab signage. YAWWNNN!!!!

With respect, it's a shame you didn't take a little time during that 7 1/2 years to do some research into the actual city ordinances in Houston.  It might have made your complaints both on this forum and to the city and downtown organizations more productive.  Houston Pavilions sought (and received) permission for "spectacular" signs, not just lit up signs.  Lit up signs are allowed in downtown Houston and there are a lot of them.  Perhaps you should visit some time.

Take a look at Pepper Jack's.

Take a look at Phoenicia.

Take a look at Vic & Anthony's

Take a look at Inn at the Ballpark

Take a look at the Magnolia Hotel

Even Houston Pavilions

Books a Million had large lit up signs

XXI Forever

Dean's Credit Clothing

The Capitol at St. Germain

Hard Rock Cafe

Bayou Place

Exactly. Neon is allowed.

Also, I am 100% certain that nobody goes to the French Quarter to look at the signs. People go there to get hammered. They go there to eat. They go there to look at the architecture. They go there to show tits for beads. 

The only place in America that draws visitors to look at the lights is Times Square. However, New Yorkers avoid Times Square whenever possible. They have zero interest in Bubba Gump, TGI Fridays, or Toy R Us. And, Houston doesn't sniff the type of tourist needed to make such a district possible. 

Lastly, I have to ask you, is one of your parents an insect? 

what??? :blink:

Take a look at Pepper Jack's.

Take a look at Phoenicia.

Take a look at Vic & Anthony's

Take a look at Inn at the Ballpark

Take a look at the Magnolia Hotel

Even Houston Pavilions

Books a Million had large lit up signs

XXI Forever

Dean's Credit Clothing

The Capitol at St. Germain

Hard Rock Cafe

Bayou Place

I noticed those things. I also noticed the lucky strike bowling pin on the Pavilions.

I guess what i'm saying is the lighted areas could be more consistent.  Phoenicia  is great, Pepper Jacks is great, but these areas are spread out from one another.

I didn't share my ideas on this forum for me to have to defend them. I was simply suggesting ways to increase visibility downtown, thus drawing in more crowds.

Like Dallas, Houston's downtown is just to big and spread out. If you want to see a thriving and cool downtown, go to Fort Worth. It's the perfect size, everything within easy walking distance.  Not a whole lot of retail shopping just yet, but it's coming. 

HA!

You beat me to it.

I was going to mention that the overwhelming desire for bright neon at night is also shared by bugs and birds.  Usually  to their detriment.

Guess evolution hasn't progressed us too far up the food chain if we still can't function without such bright and shiny things.

What impact will the closing of Macy's have on the Downtown Management District's plans to conjure up a shopping district on Dallas?  I never quite believed it would amount to much, but it seems without Macy's they might have to do some major rethinking.

I gather the downtown management group knew Macy's was closing that store long before the public was made aware. 

I've heard some rumors that the Main St. Macy's was actually a decent performer but the shear size of the store kept their $s per square foot lower than the company likes. MY Translation: a downtown Macy's with a MUCH smaller footprint with a heavy focus on retail geared towards office workers would work really, really well...

I gather the downtown management group knew Macy's was closing that store long before the public was made aware. 

I've heard some rumors that the Main St. Macy's was actually a decent performer but the shear size of the store kept their $s per square foot lower than the company likes. MY Translation: a downtown Macy's with a MUCH smaller footprint with a heavy focus on retail geared towards office workers would work really, really well...

I think that is right.  The things that were said at the time the closing was announced indicate that they (the city and Macy's) are looking for a location for a smaller store.  Hopefully, that is more than just wishful thinking on the part of the city.

I vote they take over the old Sakowitz building.

Something like this would be nice.

maincapitolnight1940web.jpg

Were your parents insects? :rolleyes:

Just kidding. Yes, how glorious it would be to have Downtown Houston THAT vibrant and alive again, with that many neon lights, signs, flash, billboards, pizazz and enough ground level retail to support all those things again. But judging by the posts in this thread, there are too many people here who would hate downtown as jazzy as it once was in it's former glory. They'd rather have a quiet, boring, deserted, dead as a doornail at night, tumbleweeds blowing through, blacked out, lifeless, neon sign-less, ghost town city center so they can feel superior to the folks that want those things by saying condescending things like "one of your parents must be an insect" and comparing your existence to a bird or bug.

I didn't share my ideas on this forum for me to have to defend them. I was simply suggesting ways to increase visibility downtown, thus drawing in more crowds.

I understand the point you were making, though it seems to be biased since all you had to do was turn to your left and take a picture of The Capital at St. Germain's signage versus The Flying Saucer's.

I understand the point you were making, though it seems to be biased since all you had to do was turn to your left and take a picture of The Capital at St. Germain's signage versus The Flying Saucer's.

Indeed.  It's generally easier and to make a point if one gets one's facts straight (e.g., there is no law banning electric signs in downtown Houston).

I will say that the lighting in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

As i've said, there are areas that are lit, but they are too far and between to where it doesn't look vibrant.

I will say that the lighting in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

As i've said, there are areas that are lit, but they are too far and between to where it doesn't look vibrant.

That is just symptomatic of downtown remaining a work in progress.  Vast improvement has been made, and one of the biggest hurdles is to achieve better connectivity between areas of activity.

Lighting in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

Retail in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

The restaurant scene in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

The bar scene in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

The hotel market in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

The street (pedestrian) activity in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

The residential market in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

The connectivity in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

The number of blocks of surface parking in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

That is just symptomatic of downtown remaining a work in progress.  Vast improvement has been made, and one of the biggest hurdles is to achieve better connectivity between areas of activity.

The bar scene in downtown has improved, but it still comes up short.

I was following you until this one here!

The bar scene has somewhat fallen off in the last 3 years. All of the clubs off of Main Street went black. If anything, the bar scene has taken a few steps back.

Houston Pavilions and Bayou Place have their areas of activity, but Main Street at least showed some signs of continuity. I hope they can do something to bring it back.

BTW. This is my 200th post. I'm a baaddd boyy!!!   LOL

Archived