Holder's Pest Control Co. At 5617 Southwest Fwy.

mkultra25

I don't remember seeing any mention of this several weeks ago when it was the main feature in the Business section, and I meant to post about it then.

Bubba, the gigantic neon cockroach that was the unofficial mascot of Holder's Pest Control and a southwest Houston landmark for many years, was cut up and sold off for scrap in January after having been in storage since 2004:

http://www.chron.com...p#photo-2774868

I'm sure there would have been many willing buyers if they had announced their intention to do this beforehand, but I guess that wouldn't have dovetailed as nicely with the prominently-featured rebranding story they got out of it which might as well have been an unpaid advertisement. And so another bit of local color is lost.

In the late 1980s is when I last noticed that sign; sad to see it gone.

They were fools to cut it up. It could have been sold to a private collector if they did not want that roach to be associated with the company any longer.

That and a new law making it illegal to be homeless. The street cleaners in their neon blue and yellow can perform smell checks making sure the millions of tourists who visit downtown will not see or smell anyone who resembles a transient. Going to shower now...

• The title was changed to Bubba The Neon Roach Scrapped
  • The title was changed to Holder's Pest Control Co. At 5617 Southwest Fwy.

Archived