Thoughts On The Suburbs

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think living without a car is a good thing, if you can manage it. It may be a little of martyrdom, but I think it's also a matter of pride. Pride at being self-reliant. Pride at setting a good example. Pride at sacrificing your personal comfort for the well-being of others and the enviornment. And the money savings is huge, as pointed out.

Long commutes cut into family time? Yes. But that's a necessary evil, because HISD isn't kid-friendly, at least not for the most part. And most simply can't afford to live inside the loop.

Large houses are very often overkill? Yes. But this isn't strictly a suburban phenomemon; there are McMansions going up inside the loop. More house increases the quality of life somewhat, but there is a point of diminishing returns. If people want to pay for these larger houses, and if modern building materials are such that they can be built cheaply, then I say let the market decide. If people find that 4,000 sq ft homes are worth the extra money, let the builders keep on building them. Maybe someday the average home will be 9,000 sq ft with walls made out of plastic.

Okay for whats its worth lets look to San Francisco mass transit . I could stay at the Marriot in San Jose and take the BART to Frisco proper and then catch a electric trolly any direction I want to go in about 15 min. BUT ! nobody drives a car in Frisco it costs 40 a day to park it . Or say New York taxi , everywhere you look . so you still have cars and nobody wants to use a segway scooter. Houston needs trains from all the major burbs were people like me want to live and raise thier kids , my wife drives five miles to work in the woodlands but my own job is at I-10 and the 610 , say 40 miles each way . I need a safe place to park my car and a connecter coming down the street every 15 min to complete my commute . Until this happens I will drive my blazing red suburban or my pick up and they can fight wars in countrys that end in stan to keep keep the crude oil coming . Because one thing that will not happen is sending my child to substandard school inside the loop . You want high density housing go to New York , meet the people and learn why they bombed the trade centers first . If your concerned about the enviroment make it a point to plant a tree every Arbor day and dont throw trash out the window on your way to work . World Peace .

You want high density housing go to New York , meet the people and learn why they bombed the trade centers first .

<_< not nice

welcome to the forum. please read standards of conduct for our beloved forum and refrain from saying things that may distract a thread or begin an argument.

Okay for whats its worth lets look to San Francisco mass transit .  I could stay at the Marriot in San Jose and take the BART to Frisco proper and then catch a electric trolly any direction I want to go in about 15 min.  BUT ! nobody drives a car in Frisco it costs 40 a day to park it . Or say  New York taxi , everywhere you look . so you  still have cars and nobody wants to use a segway scooter. Houston needs trains from all the major burbs were people like me want to live and raise thier kids , my wife drives five miles to work in the woodlands but my own job is at I-10 and the 610 , say 40 miles each way . I need a safe place to park my car and a connecter coming down the street every 15 min to complete my commute . Until this happens I will drive my blazing red suburban or my pick up and they can fight wars in countrys that end in stan to keep keep the crude oil coming . Because one thing that will not happen is sending my child to  substandard school inside the loop . You want high density housing go to New York , meet the people and learn why they bombed the trade centers first . If your concerned about the enviroment make it a point to plant a tree every Arbor day and dont throw trash out the window on your way to work . World Peace .

nice generalizations - and i bet you get fantastic gas mileage

:blink:

SpringTX: "Long commutes cut into family time? Yes. But that's a necessary evil, because HISD isn't kid-friendly, at least not for the most part. And most simply can't afford to live inside the loop."

It's certainly "not for the most part" at most, because there are several good schools within the district, but houses zoned to them are much more expensive than houses zoned to mediocre or poor schools. Then again one can transfer to a better school.

Houses zoned to Bellaire and Lamar High Schools as well as most of their feeder schools are very desireable. The fact that some parents in River Oaks enroll their kids in Lamar tells one something. I think Westside is also desireable. Uptown kids who remain in public school also go to Lamar.

Memorial and Stratford in Spring Branch are also desireable.

On the other hand, I heard North Forest ISD has gone down big time! What about Alief and Aldine?

As pointed out earlier in a thread, one reason why parents go to suburbs is that they are certain that they can get into a really good school, as opposed to HISD having a mix.

You want high density housing go to New York , meet the people and learn why they bombed the trade centers first . If your concerned about the enviroment make it a point to plant a tree every Arbor day and dont throw trash out the window on your way to work . World Peace .

I don't know about the rest of this post, but the above quoted portion is 100% right-on.

Bachanon - This poster did nothing against the rules, and the quote of his from your post does not even begin to bend any guidelines.

He made the most honest and truthful statement there is. Go to New York City, see the dense living, and you'll understand why they bombed New York, and not Houston. New York is ultra-dense, and thus makes it the biggest target for terrorism. Terrorist know that attacking NYC will inflict more damage than any other city in the nation.

To be so fragile as to find offense is his statement shows that you are not prepared for the reality that is our present society. All you innerloopers will be affected the most if something tragic were to happen to Houston via terrorism. Do you think they will target Katy, Sugarland, Pearland, Clearlake, Baytown, Kingwood, Champions, Woodlands, Willowbrook, or Cypress first?? NO. They will attack the Port, Downtown, Uptown, Medical Center, and maybe Greenway.

Don't be so naive or foolish to think that nothing bad can happen here - or that when someone reminds us that it can happen you shun them. If this world ever goes to ____, you'll probably end up relying on those who stayed the course and are prepared for the worst.

To keep on topic? My thoughts on the suburbs: Those who live away from the city are the safest, most prepared, and most likely to live in case of a man-made disaster. You inner-loopers with out cars or land remember that after it all goes down, and if you're still alive, you're going to have to trek to the suburbs and hope that a suburbanite will take you in and care for you. Oh yeah - the busline probably won't be running either - so yeah, you'll be walking.

innerlooper = grasshopper

suburbian = ant

Reality folks.. try bowl of it for breakfast tomorrow.

Casual Observer:

Drop the condescending attitude.

Calling people "fragile", "naive" and "foolish" is not a reasoned argument, nor is it respectful of others. These statements were intended to inflame, not inform.

If there's a point worth making, it can be done in a civil manner. If not, posts can (and shall) be deleted.

To keep on topic? My thoughts on the suburbs: Those who live away from the city are the safest, most prepared, and most likely to live in case of a man-made disaster. You inner-loopers with out cars or land remember that after it all goes down, and if you're still alive, you're going to have to trek to the suburbs and hope that a suburbanite will take you in and care for you. Oh yeah - the busline probably won't be running either - so yeah, you'll be walking.

suburbian = ant

Reality folks..  try bowl of it for breakfast tomorrow.

I would respond to this quote, except that I can't stop laughing long enough to write anything.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089530/

Mad Max Beyond Cinco Ranch (1985)

Directed by

George Miller

George Ogilvie

Writing credits

Terry Hayes &

George Miller

[ density my older brother lives there. And remember they wont bomb Houston because we rifine the oil here .

Your complete and utter lack of understanding of international terror is stunning. Houston's refineries are exactly why Houston IS considered a target.

You might also research why the Trade Center was targeted. You may find it enlightening...and city density was never mentioned as a reason.

Cant let it go , I have read the forum from front to back to get a feeling of the mindset set of the general population . Stay on topic , read your forum this is all posted somewhere or delete away . The statements were ment to provoke thought . Wise men discuss . Ignorant men go to war . And those hungry for power just censor the whole thing so the world is all rosey to there liking , uneducated people are easier to control .

Wise men discuss . Ignorant men go to war . And those hungry for power just censor the whole thing so the world is all rosey to there liking , uneducated people are easier to control .

Now, THIS post I wholeheartedly agree with. In fact it describes in a few words this administrations entire approach to confronting terror. An approach based on what plays well to the uninformed masses, rather than an approach that works.

It might be tough to confront Arabic speaking terrorists when your intelligence agency has few people who understand Arabic.

But, I suppose this is getting off topic, so maybe this should continue on the "London bombed" thread.

OK back on topic in the early eighties I lived at Dairy Ashford and Westhiemer worked for Woolworths , and I walked to work . The area now is lined all the way to Galleria with three story apartments there used to be grass in front of the strip malls but it has been replaced with concrete .I did not see any new parks or green belts .In fact my old neighborhood has been torn down and replaced with apartments heck the house was only twenty years old . I almost didnt reconize the mall beacuse of the huge parking garages and the traffic at about 2.30 pm was thick . Perhaps people move to burbs to escape , if even for a little while the hustle and bustle and and try to regain some composure .

OK back on topic in the early eighties I lived at Dairy Ashford and Westhiemer worked for Woolworths , and I walked to work . The area now is lined all the way to Galleria with three story apartments there used to be grass in front of the strip malls but it has been replaced with concrete .I did not see any new parks or green belts .In fact my old neighborhood has been torn down and replaced with apartments heck the house was only twenty years old . I almost didnt reconize the mall beacuse of the huge parking garages and the traffic at about 2.30 pm was thick . Perhaps people move to burbs to escape ,  if even for a little while the hustle and bustle and and try to regain some composure .

Resistance is futile.

suburbian = ant

Reality folks..  try bowl of it for breakfast tomorrow.

Yep, I can see it now...hordes of swarthy people walking twenty miles on the off chance that those nice suburban people haven't eaten all their Pop-Tarts yet.

But you have that grasshopper/ant metaphor backwards. After all, aren't cities often compared to ant hills?

And think of an extended interruption of food supplies; we'll have the ducks at Hermann Park to feast on, and pigeons, squirrels - even rats. For the knowlegeable, there's lots of edible plants to be found in vacant lots. And any relief efforts would start in a central location. You'd be walking in.

Pity the suburbanite! After you've explained to the kids that "we have to eat Fluffy and Mittens now", all you'll have is St. Augustine grass. I'd suggest rinsing the pesticides off first.

"Reality folks.. try bowl of it for breakfast tomorrow."

What you're pushing isn't reality - and it's more often found in bowels than bowls.

Coincidentally, I had this discussion with a group of friends over cocktails one evening. The parameters were that all electricity transmission ceased. Who had the best odds of survival?

The discussion never reached urban versus suburban, mainly because that had no bearing on who would do best. The concensus was that the poorest members of society would succeed most intact, simply because they were used to surviving on the least. The extremely wealthy may do ok, so long as money was accessible and still had value...and as long as they adjusted their standard of living downward. The middle to upper middle class were deemed to have the crummiest odds, because they had little survival skills and not enough money or valuables to buy their way out of trouble. In this sense, a suburban dweller would have a hard time, with no gasoline and little money.

Farmers, of course, would probably do well , comparatively.

Okay for whats its worth lets look to San Francisco mass transit .  I could stay at the Marriot in San Jose and take the BART to Frisco proper and then catch a electric trolly any direction I want to go in about 15 min.  BUT ! nobody drives a car in Frisco it costs 40 a day to park it .

Unless you're posting from the future, I don't think you are taking a BART train from San Jose to anywhere.

I think lots of people in SF drive cars -- all that traffic has to come from *somewhere*...

Look, if you work in SF (or nearly any other large city), your employer gives you parking (or will subsidize you if you take public transit). It's just the suburban-driving tourists who get reamed with the $40+/day parking fees :)

The bart train runs from San jose , Milpatas and yes as tourist this how we go into Frisco staying at the Marriott [Milpatatas aka San Jose mall of the americas] , drive down the block park the car , take bart use the buses . thats why its called bay area transit . That way when your ready to leave you dont fight the traffic . People working in the bay area drive in from as far away as Modesto 90 miles each way . Its not the future it happens every day . www.bart.gov and www.vta,org are connected check it out a way massive system . Yes lots of people drive cars in Frisco but some have to park and ride just not enough parking for everyone.

But you have that grasshopper/ant metaphor backwards. After all, aren't cities often compared to ant hills?

No, I had it right - the working class (the ant) is found in the suburbs. The non-working class (the grasshopper) is found in the center of any city. College students, retirees, & young white collar types is mostly what you find in the center of the city. The suburbs is where you find most of your blue collar working class who still sweat everyday and use their hands to fix things - not the local mechanic.

Just keep telling yourself that help will come to you, and that you can eat pigeons & rats until help arrives!

The bart train runs from San jose , Milpatas  and yes as tourist this how we go into Frisco staying at the Marriott [Milpatatas aka San Jose mall of the americas] , drive down the block park the car , take bart use the buses . thats why its called bay area transit . That way when your ready to leave you dont fight the traffic . People working in the  bay area drive in from as far away as Modesto 90 miles each way . Its not the future it happens every day . www.bart.gov and www.vta,org are connected  check it out a way massive system . Yes lots of people drive cars in Frisco but some have to park and ride just not enough parking for everyone.

There is no BART train from San Jose to anywhere. The nearest BART train is from Fremont. But in the future there will be a San Jose BART train. I hope this helps.

vta is San Jose system and yes it interconnects look again or have you ever been to the bay area. altamont commuter express San Jose to Frisco. It runs 6 times a day down the 86 mile cooridor heck it even connects to Stokton.

Cant let it go , I have read the forum from front to back to get a feeling of the mindset set of the general population . Stay on topic , read your forum this is all posted somewhere or delete away . The statements were ment to provoke thought . Wise men discuss . Ignorant men go to war . And those hungry for power just censor the whole thing so the world is all rosey to there liking , uneducated people are easier to control .

Wise men reason. Weak men pray.

• 2 weeks later...
Desparate?  Au contraire.  These are delicacies in many countries.

BTW, I found this suburbanite survival guide while perusing the net.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2001/04/20wilderness.html

The first paragraph is best.

That was hilarious, but would it really be considered the suburbanites survival guide.

No, I had it right - the working class (the ant) is found in the suburbs. The non-working class (the grasshopper) is found in the center of any city. College students, retirees, & young white collar types is mostly what you find in the center of the city. The suburbs is where you find most of your blue collar working class who still sweat everyday and use their hands to fix things - not the local mechanic.

Just keep telling yourself that help will come to you, and that you can eat pigeons & rats until help arrives!

Since when has inner city Houston been all white collar, college kids, and retirees. I would say both have a large population of working class. Possibly leaning toward the city in numbers.

• 3 months later...

Archived