Thoughts On The Suburbs

When I was hearing comments (here and in the newspapers) about developments out towards Fulshear, I thought it was an exaggeration to underscore the direction of the Westpark Tollway and growth to the west of the city.

Then this past Sunday I decided to see for myself how much progress is being made on the Westpark at Grand Parkway stacks. Made a left on FM 1093 and headed west a bit, prepared to U-turn and head back the other way, only to be taken aback by what looks to be a couple thousand new homes going up on both sides of 1093.

So this begs the question: which came first, the chicken (Westpark Tollway) or the egg (Fulshear area development)?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The developments were planned long before the Tollway since Westheimer was going to be wideneded. When the Tollway was going to be extended by Fort Bend county beyond Harris County, the speed of the development increased.

The West Park Tolllway is a selling point for these homes.

I'd like to chime in in response to those inner loop martyrs who don't own cars.

We all do our part to take care of the earth, but don't get all pious becuae you don't drive an automobile.

That just makes you look silly. Martyrdom usally does.

The last couple of posts have suggested that some living in the loop and without cars are pious and/or arrogant. I would suggest that it is not that so much as a certain amount of pride at living, or even succeding at something that most people think cannot be done around here.

It is suggested that this is some sort of martyr complex, but I beg to differ. With Houstonians spending $1,000 per month on transportation, an extra $1000 per month could buy you an extra $125,000 worth of house. Or, you could afford to live on $1,400 (including taxes) less per month, $16,800 per year.

I routinely am told that I will die without a car, that this is Houston. Aside from doing my part for the environment, that kind of challenge is almost enough to make me sell the vehicle. I already put less than 700 miles per month on it, and that includes 2 round trips to Conroe, at 90 miles each. It would not be that big a jump to get rid of it. There are taxis and rental cars and friends around.

So, please don't trash these people for actually doing something that you won't do. They are entitled to a little smugness (just not too much). After all, you keep telling us that it can't be done. But, it can. Just not in keeping with the lifestyle to which most of us have become accustommed.

Yes, but who knows what other bad habits a car-less martyr may have.

The moral of the story is everybody should do their part, and living in the burbs with kids and car is not a crime.

It's way of life!

Not sure what bad habits you're thinking of, but I'll leave that alone. :P

The suburban family way of life is not criminal. You are absolutely correct on that. And the only reason I could even consider going carless is that I am single and don't have to consider others in my decision. I am just saying that, given that I could do it without affecting others, I see that as a challenge, akin to scaling a mountain, just so I could say I did it.

How in the world are you supposed to pick up chicks without a car? I mean really!

Ring-Ring!

Carless Dude: "Hey babe, you wanna take the 206 over to my place?

Hot Chick: "As if! Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians!"

Carless Dude: "But I am saving the environment."

Hot Chick: "Well you can also save yourself time by not calling me"

(FYI - I took the bus to work today).

This is a little off the subject but I had to share my joy. :P

This whole subburb thing is starting to get easier for me. They've just opened the newest on ramp for the Westpark tollway about a mile and a half from Mason and 1093. My commute to the Willowbend area is taking around 23 minutes from 99 and Kingsland.

This was yesterday and I was blown away at how quick I made it. By the way this was at 5:30, granted it was against the flow of traffic but it was still a great time.

This is great news for those of us living South of 10.

NO!!!!!!!!!11111

Just kidding dude. :)

The jist of my above post is that many of us are proud to be Houstonians, but when there is rhetoric that declares a wholesale us and them, as in, the suburbs and the innerloop, that alienates many of us who - up to that point - actually defended the ideas so cherished by innerloopers. There was nothing in the post that

Who pays a $1,000 a month for transpo? Granted, there's some bigshot who does, I'm sure, but I'm more talking about the average person with a $400 car note, $135 insurance bill and $120 month gas bill. I'd say your number is closer to $700 a month.

Granted, I understand the spirit of your post (that's money that could be going to a bigger home or, more to the point, a quality home closer to the core and all the amenities of the city but still...

Car-martyrdom might work well for you single folks, but have you ever tried taking a new-born to the Dr. for a checkup on the bus? Or grocery shopping for a family of five, and doing it on the bus?

I could go on-and-on.

There are plenty of ways to be earth friendly without making your life a hardship.

But hardship and martyrdom seem to go hand in hand.

Who pays a $1,000 a month for transpo? Granted, there's some bigshot who does, I'm sure, but I'm more talking about the average person with a $400 car note, $135 insurance bill and $120 month gas bill. I'd say your number is closer to $700 a month.

Granted, I understand the spirit of your post (that's money that could be going to a bigger home or, more to the point, a quality home closer to the core and all the amenities of the city but still...

well, it looks like the difference between the "average person" and "bigshot" isn't that much...

in my household, though, we shell out around $600 (two cars - insurance, gas, but only one car note)

but, we also live close in...hehe

How in the world are you supposed to pick up chicks without a car?  I mean really!

Ring-Ring!

Carless Dude:  "Hey babe, you wanna take the 206 over to my place? 

Hot Chick:  "As if!  Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians!"

Carless Dude:  "But I am saving the environment."

Hot Chick:  "Well you can also save yourself time by not calling me"

(FYI - I took the bus to work today).

Or,

Carless Dude: Well, I am really a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

Hot Chick: Really? How about I just come by and pick you up, then?

Carless Dude: Whatever works for you, babe.

Speaking of inner city transportation, how about some of the girls you see on scooters in Downtown, Midtown and Montrose? It's a bit of a trend in a round about way.

These girls crack me up. I am on the same schedule as one who parks her scooter at Travis Place.

I always think "I bet she smells good by the time she makes it to work".

Mmmm. Sweaty scooter chicks!

Speaking of inner city transportation, how about some of the girls you see on scooters in Downtown, Midtown and Montrose?  It's a bit of a trend in a round about way.

These girls crack me up.  I am on the same schedule as one who parks her scooter at Travis Place.

I always think "I bet she smells good by the time she makes it to work". 

Mmmm.  Sweaty scooter chicks!

Remember the 70s conservation bumber stickers? "Conserve water. Shower with a friend." This could work with these girls. B)

Car-martyrdom might work well for you single folks, but have you ever tried taking a new-born to the Dr. for a checkup on the bus?  Or grocery shopping for a family of five, and doing it on the bus?

I could go on-and-on.

There are plenty of ways to be earth friendly without making your life a hardship. 

But hardship and martyrdom seem to go hand in hand.

I know what you mean.

I have read most of your posts here, and regrettably, it is difficult to get past the arrogance behind it all.  Most of what you say has the effect of alienating the many proud Houstonians, of which, the majority live outside the loop - not to mention the many people outside the city limits who nevertheless love the city of Houston and stand behind it steadfastly.  Your rhetoric of innerloop superiority is counter productive, goes against our city

I wish some people would realize they don't need a 3,000 sq ft home.

Oh, you'll figure it out one day. It's great havin the extra room!

Familes have changed. Should I telecommute from my kitchen table? I think not. Why can't I have a study and reading area?

The list goes on and on.

I didn't say anything is wrong with people wanting their own space.  My argument remains that the current configuration of sprawl is harmful to our environment, our government, and our families.  We currently waste too much in time and resources supporting homes miles away from the core.

I do advocate smaller residences for those who don't need them.  I wish some people would realize they don't need a 3,000 sq ft home.  The cost and the time for upkeep of those homes for those who don't need them contribute to tight budgets (personal and government), strained relationships, and a depleting environment.  My solution is to densify the core, and to densify a number of edge cities.  I think an interesting model is the Woodlands.  For me personally it does not offer what I want, but it may be attractive to the family types.  It could offer a quick commute from work to home, and a quick trip for necessary goods.

...a somewhat more rational take. I stand corrected.

on the subject of home size: i had a 900 square foot 2-1 for several years and a very hyper weimeraner. moving to a 1900 square foot home with large living areas and wide stairs has been great for both me and the dog. i guess if someone is living alone with no pets (or small ones) a small house is great, but you add a significant other, a kid and pets (especially large ones) then you need more.

yes, size matters.

Archived