Naming Houses

VicMan

I know that in Bermuda and in Grand Cayman people give houses names, and in Bermuda there are no house numbers, only names.

Why don't people name their houses? I think that naming a house is the first step to giving one's house an individual touch..

The eminent domain thing will effect people in the East Coast more than in Texas, won't it?.

I don't know what the ramifications will be here in Texas, where Gov. Perry's ambitious Trans-Texas Corridor idea reigns supreme. But giving TxDOT a virtual Pandora's Box with HB 3588, the secrecy surrounding the Cintra agreement, and now this... We might just as well ask the Governor where we should live and not fear the possible future of eminent domain. Maybe apartments will be the future for everyone, who knows?

I'm aware that there are a lot of houses in the city proper alone, but I bet a little bit of imagination will spark ideas for unique names..

I'm not proposing that the mailing system should be altered, though. I'm just saying that people should give their houses names...

As for the one I live in, I would like to get a sign with the house's name and stick it on the exterior..

Actually a few friends have had named their homes after their streets, or at least got to doing that as we kept asking WHICH home we were heading for a party/nap/drink/etc....

"let's head on down to Valerie (in Bellaire) and get drunk."

Or

"Time for me to go to the Delmar, I'm tired."

Didn't say it was creative, but it was easy to discern WHICH home we were going to.

House naming is very common in British and formerly British countries, as well as parts of continental Europe. Even tiny falling down cottages will have names like "Southington Hall" or "The Groves." I think it comes from a time before there were universal postal standards. Sometimes you need to talk about a house and not necessarily the owner, so it comes in handy.

There are a number of "named" homes in the United States, too, though they tend to be mansions. Places like "The Breakers" in Rhode Island come to mind.

I grew up across the road from a cobblestone house (circa 1837) called Gaywind.

Please keep any witty remarks to yourselves. It was named for the gentle breezes which usually waft across the hilltop location.

Naming a house makes sense to me only if it (the house) is distinctive. Naming every house in a tract development would be like Mr. Tyson naming each of his chickens.

I'm aware that there are a lot of houses in the city proper alone, but I bet a little bit of imagination will spark ideas for unique names..

I'm not proposing that the mailing system should be altered, though. I'm just saying that people should give their houses names...

As for the one I live in, I would like to get a sign with the house's name and stick it on the exterior..

I'm in and I'm claiming Midge as my house name.

The tailpiece was still there, and I salvaged it and brought it down to the house. I will probably paint it as a Texas flag.

TailSection.jpg

No! Don't paint a flag on it! Restore the original lettering. Paint it the way it was originally painted. Save a bit of Texas history. You might be able to find pictures of how it looked through the local historical society.

No!  Don't paint a flag on it!  Restore the original lettering.  Paint it the way it was originally painted.  Save a bit of Texas history.  You might be able to find pictures of how it looked through the local historical society.

My thoughts, too. You can paint a flag on nearly anything, but this relic is unique. Consider leaving it as it is (perhaps a protective coating would be a good idea). I've seen objects at the Menil which IMHO are less appealing.

No! Don't paint a flag on it! Restore the original lettering. Paint it the way it was originally painted. Save a bit of Texas history. You might be able to find pictures of how it looked through the local historical society.
My thoughts, too. You can paint a flag on nearly anything, but this relic is unique. Consider leaving it as it is (perhaps a protective coating would be a good idea). I've seen objects at the Menil which IMHO are less appealing.

I agree, it's beautiful just the way it is. Clear-coat it and leave it alone.

The windmill is very interesting, are there trees growing up between the blades?

Your property looks absolutely gorgeous, you're a lucky guy! :)

Just a little note from my home state: On Grand Isle in Louisiana, most of the homes have names. Some are quite funny and some are simple. Many of them are play on words with the owners names. They put the names on the front of the house so everyone know about it.

I wish I had pictures of it.

• 5 months later...

My in-laws have lived in a two-story greyish place in Maplewood ever since it was built in the 1960s. When they were living and working in the UK for a while in the mid-80's, they lived in a place called Tanglewood Cottage, and we thought naming their Houston house would be a great idea. Being Houston and all, we named it "Roachcroft," for the huge critters we used to find in the kitchen when we'd turn on the light in the middle of the night and for Hillcroft which is about a block to the north.

The roaches are mostly gone now, but the name stuck. We're still traveling around (32 years in the military, I'm thinking of staying and making it a career), but whenever we come home, it's always to "Roachcroft." My own parents, who live a scant 2 miles away in Meyerland (since 1959) were horrified, but so what. Our home in Spain from 97-2000 proudly bore a sign beneath the normal name/rank sign on the front door proclaiming it "Roachcroft de Andalucia," much to the amusement of our Spanish Navy neighbors and to the consternation of the Americans.

Jim

My family has a house down in Port Lavaca that is called "The Beehive". The whole town knows about this house. They bought the house on the cheap about 5 years ago. The reason, The house was infested with over 400,000 BEES ! The Bees were ankle deep through the whole house after the extermination, no BS! over 400 pounds of honeycomb was removed from within the walls. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Edited by TJones

My in-laws have lived in a two-story greyish place in Maplewood ever since it was built in the 1960s. When they were living and working in the UK for a while in the mid-80's, they lived in a place called Tanglewood Cottage, and we thought naming their Houston house would be a great idea. Being Houston and all, we named it "Roachcroft," for the huge critters we used to find in the kitchen when we'd turn on the light in the middle of the night and for Hillcroft which is about a block to the north.

The roaches are mostly gone now, but the name stuck. We're still traveling around (32 years in the military, I'm thinking of staying and making it a career), but whenever we come home, it's always to "Roachcroft." My own parents, who live a scant 2 miles away in Meyerland (since 1959) were horrified, but so what. Our home in Spain from 97-2000 proudly bore a sign beneath the normal name/rank sign on the front door proclaiming it "Roachcroft de Andalucia," much to the amusement of our Spanish Navy neighbors and to the consternation of the Americans.

Jim

Jim,

That has to be one of the lovliest references to a Houston house I've ever seen. To know that we're known for our lush, infested climate (instead of some less appealling reasons) is so refreshing.

I stepped on a roach in your honor today. :D