Mayor Parker taking suggestion on how to create jobs

lockmat

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

2. 2. Did/will you make a suggestion?

The questions are below. Should you choose to submit, let us know what you said:

1. What can Mayor Parker and the City of Houston do to create jobs in Houston right now?

2. How can Mayr Parker ensure that Houston's workforce has the skills to compete for jobs in the future?

3. How can local government partner with private sector to foster opportunity that will lead to more jobs for Houstonians?

http://www.anniseparker.com/ideas-generator-jobs

Maybe they could start by creating a "City Manager" position

Why, so we can have one more person Parker will not listen to?

What's up with all these "give us your suggestions" requests from a mayor who hasn't listened to anyone since she's been elected, anyway? That stupid highrise ordinance, some neighborhood thing, and now this. Why would antone waste their time speaking to someone who isn't listening?

Oh, I get it. It is election season! Parker is acting like she actually appreciates input before she tells you what to do.

The "City Manager" position was a reference to what's going on in Michigan where the governor can appoint anyone to "run" a town, and can do whatever they want, including disbanding any elected offices in said town and basically becoming the local dictator.

What's up with all these "give us your suggestions" requests from a mayor who hasn't listened to anyone since she's been elected, anyway? That stupid highrise ordinance, some neighborhood thing, and now this. Why would antone waste their time speaking to someone who isn't listening?

Oh, I get it. It is election season! Parker is acting like she actually appreciates input before she tells you what to do.

Up until she was elected, she was always at odds with the mayor, and rarely listed to him.

As far as I can tell, she had been caving into groups other than those that elected her.

Up until very recently I would have voted for her again, but now she is merely trying to placate those that would be voting for her.

The questions are below. Should you choose to submit, let us know what you said:

1. What can Mayor Parker and the City of Houston do to create jobs in Houston right now?

2. How can Mayr Parker ensure that Houston's workforce has the skills to compete for jobs in the future?

3. How can local government partner with private sector to foster opportunity that will lead to more jobs for Houstonians?

1. Hire every unemployed resident for one hour per month and declare them employed.

2. It can't be done. Labor is highly mobile. An investment in Houston's laborforce is Dallas' gain, and vice versa.

2. Pass more ordinances that skirt constitutionality and haphazardly piss off wealthy people. Watch thy legal sector flourish.

Pretty simple... increase revenue by raising taxes, and give some of the money to METRO for the rail lines. Use the Hire Houston first policy so we can get these lines built!

We would be better off flushing our money down the toilet.

You want jobs, you create incentives for people to come here. In tough economic times that is hard to do because you can't give as many incentives because you do not have the revenue...during election years, its even harder when you are a democrat, because if you create an economic development zone, where tax breaks and what not are given to employers in promise for X number of new jobs then you are accused of catering only to the rich and the corporations.

We would be better off flushing our money down the toilet.

You want jobs, you create incentives for people to come here. In tough economic times that is hard to do because you can't give as many incentives because you do not have the revenue...during election years, its even harder when you are a democrat, because if you create an economic development zone, where tax breaks and what not are given to employers in promise for X number of new jobs then you are accused of catering only to the rich and the corporations.

Democrat BAD! Republican GOOD! :wacko:

Democrat BAD! Republican GOOD! :wacko:

Not democrat bad, republican good....but democrats seem to be very anti-corporation and anti profit. Business exists to make a profit. If you want to lure business you need to give an incentive. Incentives cost money, usually in the form of an economic development zone, or tax abatement. Democrats do not like going back to their base and saying they gave a tax abatement to a corporation....all their base hears is "you caved to the corporations, and now I get less free stuff" Of course I over-generalized the democrat base in that statement, but I did smile while doing so :)

Whenever I read one of these "explanations", I realize that I am simply reading a statement from someone who has been conned more by the other party than the supporters of the party he is railing against. And, unfortunately, I did not smile while writing this, as I realize that as long as supporters of either party believe their side doesn't do bad things, they will continue to do bad things.

• 5 months later...

Bury the utility lines with local labor in the areas of Midtown, Montrose, River Oaks, Uptown, Memorial and Upper Kurby. Underground lines will increase the attractiveness of the areas. Whether noticed or not (some think they don't), areas with no power lines in the line of site of architecture, trees or sun are more attractive. Areas were power lines are draped across the city like an unkept computer room are unsightly. Imagine if all the utility lines in your house were exposed.

People are willing to pay more for attractive real estate in attractive areas, this is real estate 101. Increased housing prices will correspondingly increase the property tax revenue. This can at least partially pay for the cost of the developments.

Utility companies should partner with the city and provide the training needed to do this for free. Their benefit is that they now have hardened more robust infrastructure that can better withstand inclement weather in addition to reducing their regular costs because they no longer have to drive around every year trimming trees.

Once house prices have increased in these areas enough to reach a threshold of new tax revenue the projects can move to new areas and reap the same benefit.

Our city of Houston needs to bury the lines anyway, it causes the city to look country or suburban rather then the 4th largest city in the country. Imagine if there were power lines running up and down 5th ave in Manhattan, it would not have the same draw.

• 1 year later...

Isn't there some rumors about Houston changing the terms of city elected officials from 6 years to 12 (3 four-year terms as Bill King suggested) ?

I know the 1991 term limits is very strict and rough, but they gotta at least consider 12 years to give the Mayor, Controller and City Council more time to push their initiatives (see NYC and Bloomberg getting 3rd term).

Isn't there some rumors about Houston changing the terms of city elected officials from 6 years to 12 (3 four-year terms as Bill King suggested) ?

I know the 1991 term limits is very strict and rough, but they gotta at least consider 12 years to give the Mayor, Controller and City Council more time to push their initiatives (see NYC and Bloomberg getting 3rd term).

Oh heavens no!

What happens when you elect an absolutely incompetent candidate? At least with the present system you can vote them out before their able to do a decades worth of damage. We need to move away from the ever-increasing reality of political office as a lifetime career.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen any new TV ads lately between Parker and Hall since their little tit for tat. Parker had recently refuted Hall's claims of crime rates in the city from what I heard.

Parker's going to CRUSH Hall so bad (around 57-39 or 64ish-34), that I do NOT see another African American mayor in Houston anytime soon. But a Latino mayor in Houston is likely next down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived