The Houston Post Newspaper

citykid09

• 4 years later...

Following a tip in the local newspaper, I found a site operated by UNT called "Portal to Texas History" with lots of newspaper archives, including many from small towns. It sadly did not have the Bryan Daily Eagle, but did have late 1800s/early 1900s http://texashistory.unt.edu/search/?q=houston+post&fq=dc_type%3Atext_newspaper&t=fulltext&start=0&fq=str_title_serial%3AThe+Houston+Daily+Post'>copies of Houston Daily Post. What do you think? I think it's pretty cool, though I'd prefer to see something from post-WWII (as that was when Houston took off)

I can offer personal testimony that this website can be very useful in searching out family histories. My paternal great great grandfather died in Austin County in the late 1860s, and I had been scouring the Internet for anything I could find about him. 

One day, after Googling his name and various combinations of his widow's name and where they lived, a link to this Portal of Texas History website turned up and you won't believe what I found.

It was a link to the Legal Notices Page in the April 1869 edition of the Hempstead Texas newspaper The Texas Countryman. It was a notice setting a date for probating my ancestor's estate, and dividing it between his widow and surviving heirs, all of whom are named in the notice. It had an added bonus of naming an ancestor I didn't know I had - a child who was my grandfather's half sister. It  blew me away.

To illustrate how this helped me, I am providing a link to the notice to show the phenomenal amount of information I was able to glean from it.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth180339/m1/2/zoom/?zoom=5&lat=3551&lon=4308.5&layers=BT

Based on my experience, I highly recommend using this site in family history searches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Houston Post Newspaper
  • The title was changed to The Houston Post Newspaper

Archived