Galveston Pleasure Pier Updates

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a deep love/hate with this. Love the rides, the attraction is needed on the island. But Bubba Gump? Gahh! So now there are, what, 15 restaurants in Galveston that aren't company-town food troughs? Good thing Mario's still delivers on the seawall.

We just went to Mario's for the first time about a month ago. Don't know why we never went before. It was great and even all the kids liked it - which is highly unusual.

At least there is still Casey's that he hasn't bought and watered down to the lowest common denominator.

Don't forget the smaller places like Shrimp 'N Stuff and Leon's.

Every time I hear "Galveston Pleasure Pier" it conjures up a mental image of a Seawall-based 24-hour-video/smoke shop/"adult novelty" store. Or a swingers' bar for beachgoers.

I'm a little disappointed that they will charge an admission fee, unlike the east coast boardwalks or the Santa Monica pier. After all, this seems like the kind of place that would be nice to take a quick stroll and play a few games or grab a drink, but I'm not sure that would be worthwhile with an entry fee, and I doubt I would want to spend an entire day there. Even so, I'm glad to see this project happen.

The original Pleasure Pier was built as a WPA project during the early 1940's. I worked for a plumbing contractor in Houston that had framed progress photos of the structure in their employee break room. The company was one of the original subcontractors. The photos, although black and white, were very clear images. There were bleachers and a grand stand out near the end of the pier, apparently for outdoor performances. The pier itself was constructed to last, kind of like the Hoover Dam.

I was out on the seawall last week. This project is actually pretty impressive. It's far better than what was there. And besides, I think that Tillman will market the ____ out of it and draw a vast quantity of additional more people to Galveston, which will benefit the whole island.

84081052_866e2d9dcf_z.jpg?zz=1

05oct29-2.jpg by wools, on Flickr

RIP Flagship Hotel. An old photo from 2005. It was handheld with a not particularly fast lens; I was very surprised it came out as well as it did. Just wished I'd framed it slightly lower.

Wow, I only moved here a couple years ago after Ike... all I ever saw was the deserted Flagship with a giant hole in it. Apparently it looked much better intact.

Wow, I only moved here a couple years ago after Ike... all I ever saw was the deserted Flagship with a giant hole in it. Apparently it looked much better intact.

No, not really. That photo just came out insanely well. And the interior was just nasty.

I was at Hotel Galvez for a conference yesterday. Part of my ritual when I visit Galveston is to stand on the end of the jettys for a while, watching the waves crash. Anyway, the 25th street pier was the next pier over, so I took some photos and a short video with my phone.

Video:

6976060028_1392f7bb98_z.jpg

Untitled by wools, on Flickr

6976060854_0db73c094f_z.jpg

Untitled by wools, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...

They've poured concrete on a couple of blocks for parking across from the pier adjacent to Fish Tales, but it looks as if it's only about 300-ish spaces. It was half full just with workers. I'm guessing there's shuttle service to and from another location, but no one we asked knew where that was.

• 2 months later...

I bet not one person associated with this project ever even considered for one second that a hurricane might ever hit Galveston. I bet they now wish that they had a person like you working for them so they had not gone to all this trouble. Just because that pier has been standing there for almost 70 years is no guarantee that it will be there for 70 more. I bet they didn't even go to the trouble of refurbishing, retrofitting and strengthening the pier structure during the last 12 months before they started building on it.

You would think that Fertitta would have learned his lesson after Hurricane Ike destroyed most of the Kemah Boardwalk. But no, like the bad businessman he is, he just re-built Kemah where the people come in droves to spend money on an amusement park that is destined to be destroyed again and now has gone on to build another amusement park that is certainly doomed to natural disaster. What must he be thinking? Doesn't Fertitta realize just how rickety a 70 year old pier is?

I wonder where Fertitta is from - that he isn't aware that Galveston gets hit by hurricanes from time to time.

Y'all should check out the construction photos posted on the Pleasure Pier facebook page before a hurricane comes and blows it all into the ocean. Even the facebook page will probably be destroyed soon - so hurry!

http://www.facebook....estonislandpier

It will be interesting to see how they handle a hurricane and see what the aftermath looks like. I'm sure Feritta probally has the whole thing insured so I don't think he's worried. Tho I'm surprised they didn't just build a new pier which I think would have been better. Oh and they really need some sort of walkway over the seawall, there is just too many people crossing the street. It's an accident waiting to happen.

• The title was changed to Galveston Pleasure Pier Updates

Archived