Sheila Jackson Lee

TJones

I voted for her no-name opponent last election. The guy must have barely campaigned because hen I got to the polling booth, there was zero name recognition.

When was the last time an african american ran against her in the D primaries... seems like that's the only chance of dethroning her.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say we vote her out of office.

We have tried to vote her out of office....Her district is HEAVILY black with the exception of the heights.....Black people vote for other black people in numbers near or over 90% Even if the heights voted 100% Republican, or any other candidate, it would not overcome the rest of the district.

Its awful to say, but we appear to be stuck with this moron for the time being.

We have tried to vote her out of office....Her district is HEAVILY black with the exception of the heights.....Black people vote for other black people in numbers near or over 90% Even if the heights voted 100% Republican, or any other candidate, it would not overcome the rest of the district.

Its awful to say, but we appear to be stuck with this moron for the time being.

Ya know, looking at it.. her district isnt as heavily black as I originally thought... A Republican might never get elected, but a strong enough Dem should be able to oust her.

From Wiki - Congressional Dist 18

36.9% White,

40.4% Black,

35.6% Hispanic,

3.4% Asian,

0.4% Native American,

0.5% other

I don't have PS here or I'd merge these to a handy graphic.. but compare the NYTimes Ethnicity map* to her District boundaries

*Can't link directly to the correct map.. you'll have to click on the More Maps tab

This was the final straw for me:

It wasn’t just staffers who have been made to wait. Ray LaHood, the secretary of transportation, cooled his heels for an hour and a half in her office before leaving. “He was there to address transportation issues – getting funding to Houston. So I was just shocked that she would let him leave,” a former staffer said. Jackson Lee was waiting for a chance to appear in front of the C-SPAN cameras on the House floor.

If she can't bothered with something we have been struggling with for the past few years. If she can't be voted out, then at least, she can be wrung out and *itched at by her constituents.

While I doubt it would get anything done, it can be a nice release and added ammo for those that can't stand her in the first place, I just hope this article has legs and gets picked up by someone else.

This was the final straw for me:

If she can't bothered with something we have been struggling with for the past few years. If she can't be voted out, then at least, she can be wrung out and *itched at by her constituents.

While I doubt it would get anything done, it can be a nice release and added ammo for those that can't stand her in the first place, I just hope this article has legs and gets picked up by someone else.

The article has huge legs....stilts even. It ran on drudgereport yesterday. There is not a much larger venue for an article than the drudgereport.

The article has huge legs....stilts even. It ran on drudgereport yesterday. There is not a much larger venue for an article than the drudgereport.

For it to have legs that count.. it has to get into the hands of Houston's African American community.

.... And even then.. it might not matter.

I don't know who keeps voting Jackson Lee in...I don't know any blacks who support her. Everyone I talk to is embarrassed by her.

I live in a majority black neighborhood (>95%), and come election time you don't see many signs for her. Of course you don't see any for her opponents.

Unfortunately, she gets the benefit of being the incumbent and having a huge war chest.

I voted for her no-name opponent last election. The guy must have barely campaigned because hen I got to the polling booth, there was zero name recognition.

When was the last time an african american ran against her in the D primaries... seems like that's the only chance of dethroning her.

Are you talking about Sean Roberts? He was the last black guy to run against her in the primaries. It seems like he didn't do squat to get his name out there. No radio ads, scarcely any signs. When he had meet and greets with constituents, he kept having most of the meet and greets in the Heights instead of the Third Ward area where he lives, and where most of the biggest bloc of SJL voters were.

Perhaps Roberts didn't want the position as bad as he thought?

I wonder if Borris Miles could beat her?

Are you talking about Sean Roberts? He was the last black guy to run against her in the primaries. It seems like he didn't do squat to get his name out there. No radio ads, scarcely any signs. When he had meet and greets with constituents, he kept having most of the meet and greets in the Heights instead of the Third Ward area where he lives, and where most of the biggest bloc of SJL voters were.

Perhaps Roberts didn't want the position as bad as he thought?

No, I'm talking about John Faulk in the '10 general election.

Faulk came to the Timbergrove Halloween party and gave away ice cream. I was going to vote for him anyway, but he and his wife seemed like nice people, which isn't always the case with politicians.

SJL gets reelected because of her voting record, not because of her treatment of her subordinates.

People who have had contact with Donald Trump or Martha Stewart have commented on each's abrasive style. Yet, each excel in their respective fields.

When there's evidence that SJL is selling her constituents short, her base will react.

No. Bad examples.

Fool's faces, public places. And all that jazz.

The examples were meant to show that Don, Martha, and Sheila probably didn't get where they are today without stepping on some toes. If I'm wrong, please elucidate me.

The examples were meant to show that Don, Martha, and Sheila probably didn't get where they are today without stepping on some toes. If I'm wrong, please elucidate me.

You said that they excel in their fields. I disagree. They are court jesters.

You said that they excel in their fields. I disagree. They are court jesters.

I agree with Niche - Trump inherited everything he has today....he has bankrupted almost everything he touches. His dad left him with the Tower that makes him the majority of his money...until reality TV....Reality TV actually made him money that he "earned" himself...if you can call TV earning money...I have a hard time calling it that.

But Sheila is awful. Despite her impressive academic credentials on paper...she is actually an idiot. Her votes are 100% liberal. Every vote she casts is along the most liberal of party lines, and all of her "work" is geared toward redistribution of other peoples income.

She opposed Rush's purchase of a NFL team, as if she had any right at all to do so. She opposes any attempt to control our borders, she wants free healthcare for all, she wants longer and higher unemployment benefits, she wants higher taxes for everyone who can afford to buy a house and a car......Her voting record is terrible, and every time she opens her mouth she says something stupid. It's time to stop giving handouts in this country. Everybody now expects something for nothing. Its incredible.

I have an unemployment appeal hearing this morning for a guy who was disqualified for Texas unemployment, but wants the federal government to give him money anyway. His stated reason for quitting "I did not like working, and I would rather stay home" That actual statement disqualified him for our State unemployment, but he is likely to be granted Federal unemployment....the only information I will be permitted to provide in this "hearing" is how much he earned, and how long he worked so they can determine how much to pay him. Those are the only "issues" on the hearing agenda.

Its awful...this guy was young, able, and had a job. He found it easier to stay at home....its amazing to me that he should be given anything. He knew exactly how long he had to work by law to re-qualify for unemployment, and he quit the day after he did. There are lots of folks doing exactly the same thing....its time to cut the cord, and let them suffer.

I agree with Niche - Trump inherited everything he has today....he has bankrupted almost everything he touches. His dad left him with the Tower that makes him the majority of his money...until reality TV....Reality TV actually made him money that he "earned" himself...if you can call TV earning money...I have a hard time calling it that.

But Sheila is awful. Despite her impressive academic credentials on paper...she is actually an idiot. Her votes are 100% liberal. Every vote she casts is along the most liberal of party lines, and all of her "work" is geared toward redistribution of other peoples income.

She opposed Rush's purchase of a NFL team, as if she had any right at all to do so. She opposes any attempt to control our borders, she wants free healthcare for all, she wants longer and higher unemployment benefits, she wants higher taxes for everyone who can afford to buy a house and a car......Her voting record is terrible, and every time she opens her mouth she says something stupid. It's time to stop giving handouts in this country. Everybody now expects something for nothing. Its incredible.

I have an unemployment appeal hearing this morning for a guy who was disqualified for Texas unemployment, but wants the federal government to give him money anyway. His stated reason for quitting "I did not like working, and I would rather stay home" That actual statement disqualified him for our State unemployment, but he is likely to be granted Federal unemployment....the only information I will be permitted to provide in this "hearing" is how much he earned, and how long he worked so they can determine how much to pay him. Those are the only "issues" on the hearing agenda.

Its awful...this guy was young, able, and had a job. He found it easier to stay at home....its amazing to me that he should be given anything. He knew exactly how long he had to work by law to re-qualify for unemployment, and he quit the day after he did. There are lots of folks doing exactly the same thing....its time to cut the cord, and let them suffer.

Disgusting. I am with you 110%. Why is this not something that is talked about more in general discussions on the media?

Disgusting. I am with you 110%. Why is this not something that is talked about more in general discussions on the media?

Because the general media is for the general public, and the general public cares little about politics, especially at the local level.

Niche media, like HAIF, attract a narrower demographic, and thus topics like this thrive in an ecosystem comprised largely of people with similar interests, even if their views are divergent.

The media can't talk about it. Employers can't disclose personal information, and news organizations would focus more on why the person was not happy working and try to blame the employer.

There is no story in a bunch of individuals...its always the fault of the big faceless corporation and its rich executives.

SJL gets reelected because of her voting record, not because of her treatment of her subordinates.

Right on. I met Sean Roberts (Dem challenger) and Faulk (Repub challenger) during the last election. I told both of them that I can't stand SJL but she mostly votes correct on the issues. I voted for Roberts in the primary... but voted for SJL in the main election. Faulk was a nice guy but I told him to get lost once he started telling me about "evil Obamacare". I want a politician that will vote for my interests, not one that happens to be nice but votes against my interests.

Right on. I met Sean Roberts (Dem challenger) and Faulk (Repub challenger) during the last election. I told both of them that I can't stand SJL but she mostly votes correct on the issues. I voted for Roberts in the primary... but voted for SJL in the main election. Faulk was a nice guy but I told him to get lost once he started telling me about "evil Obamacare". I want a politician that will vote for my interests, not one that happens to be nice but votes against my interests.

That's a shame. As much as I'm not fond of our current president, it just irritates me how someone can be so rabidly opposed that they demean someone like that, regardless of who the president is at the time.

I'm just curious how long it will be before HAIF starts increasing it's rankings for an SJL searches. :)

• The title was changed to Shelia Jackson Lee

Archived